Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Need help deciding which Ghost to Use (Read 53140 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need help deciding which Ghost to Use
Reply #30 - May 15th, 2007 at 12:08am

aplados wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 1:14pm:
What would be the difference between Ghost 12 and Save and Restore 2.0? I see where Ghost 12 is out now.

aplados,

I guess the main difference would be Save and Restore 2.0 does a file and folder backup in addition to an image backup. You probably wouldn't want to use this file and folder backup feature anyway. I wouldn't.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #31 - May 15th, 2007 at 7:59am

aplados wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 1:14pm:
What would be the difference between Ghost 12 and Save and Restore 2.0? I see where Ghost 12 is out now.

Brian wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 12:08am:
I guess the main difference would be Save and Restore 2.0 does a file and folder backup in addition to an image backup. You probably wouldn't want to use this file and folder backup feature anyway. I wouldn't.

Ghost 12 also does a file and folder backup.

Norton Ghost 12.0 features and enhancements
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/features.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost...
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/0/5e9f3d743f1d365a652572b900...

Norton Save & Restore 2.0 is the version which is closest to Ghost 10.

I doubt that you need the main advanced features of Ghost 12:
Quote:
Remote management — Control other Norton Ghost 12 installations on your network. (Separate license purchase required for installation of Norton Ghost 12.0 on an additional networked computer.)
LightsOut Restore — Restore your system with on-disk software recovery environment — no bootable CD required.
Create a virtual disk — Converts recovery points to a VMWare® Virtual Disk (.vmdk) or a Microsoft® Virtual Disk (.vhd).

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #32 - May 15th, 2007 at 12:26pm

Brian, is there something else that Ghost 12 offers (that Norton S&R 2.0 doesn't) or is different, other than the 3 advanced features listed above?  I think you posted previously that you tested Ghost 12.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - May 15th, 2007 at 10:48pm

Ghost4me,

You are correct. Both will do Files and Folders backup. Ghost 12 has the 3 advanced features that you mentioned and NSR doesn't. I doubt most people would use these features. Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 Desktop Edition adds Restore Anyware to the Ghost 12 features.

Quote:
Norton Save & Restore

Key Features
•      Backs up everything on your computer—digital photos, family videos, key financial records, essential computer system files, and other data—in one easy step
•      File and folder backup lets you choose specific files and folders to save, rather than an entire drive
•      Protects all files of a certain type (such as photos or documents) by finding and backing up the exact file types you indicate
•      Recovers your system and data even when you can't restart your operating system
•      Makes incremental backups to maximize space and save time
•      Makes backups on the fly, without restarting your system
•      Backs up to almost any media, including CDR/RW and DVD+-R/RW drives, USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) external storage devices, and Iomega® Zip® and Jaz® drives
•      One-step setup wizard automatically creates an initial backup schedule based on your computer's storage devices and system settings
•      Automatically monitors and optimizes backup disk space
•      Triggers backups on key events, such as new program installations or user logins
•      Encrypts backups to help keep them secure
New Features
•      Support for both Windows XP and Windows Vista
•      Faster backups delivers protection even faster and with less disruption than previous versions
•      Enhanced Backup Search makes finding and recovering your data a snap
•      Easy Setup Wizard tells you what you need to know about backing up your system

Quote:
Norton Ghost 12

All Features
•      Full system backup (disk image) — Backs up everything on a hard drive or partition
•      File and folder back up — Choose only the specific files and folders you want to back up rather than saving an entire drive.
•      Incremental backups — Backs up only those files that have changed to reduce backup time and save storage space.
•      Backwards compatible — Restores data from backups created with previous versions of Norton Ghost or Norton Save & Restore
•      Performance Throttling — Allows you to keep working by minimizing usage of system resources.
•      Event-based backups — Triggers backups on key events, like new program installations or sudden increases in data storage.
•      Advanced compression and encryption — minimizes storage space and helps keep sensitive documents safe.
•      Google™ Desktop integration – Searchable backup indexes makes recovering your data even faster.
•      Storage management — Automatically monitors and optimizes backup disk space.
•      At-a-glance system status — Displays all scheduled backups—plus the degree of backup protection for each drive on your computer—in one view.
•      Remote management — Control other Norton Ghost 12 installations on your network. (Separate license purchase required for installation of Norton Ghost 12.0 on an additional networked computer.)
•      LightsOut Restore — Restore your system with on-disk software recovery environment — no bootable CD required.
•      Create a virtual disk — Converts recovery points to a VMWare® Virtual Disk (.vmdk) or a Microsoft® Virtual Disk (.vhd).

Quote:
Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition

New Features
Dissimilar Hardware Restoration with Restore Anyware
Rapid recovery of entire systems to dissimilar hardware breaks the barrier of incompatible storage controllers and hardware abstraction layers, thereby reducing recovery times and saving significant hardware investments. Combines hot imaging with the ability to restore to different hardware platforms on the fly.
•      NIC driver retargeting supports hardware-independent NIC drivers
•      Also perform complete hardware migrations with ease using Restore Anyware
Enhanced Virtual Support
Leverages the power of virtualization, enabling seamless physical to virtual (P2V) and virtual to physical (V2P) conversions for VMware ESX Server, VMware Server (formerly GSX Server), VMware Workstation, and Microsoft Virtual Server disk formats. Convert entire systems at once or selective volumes at a time.
•      Easy-to-use, intuitive virtual conversion wizard simplifies the conversion process
•      Now supports VMware ESX Server and Microsoft Virtual Server
•      Perform preflight testing of patches, installations, etc. in the virtual environment before applying changes to production systems
Enhanced Data Recovery Capabilities
Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 Desktop Edition delivers many new data recovery capabilities, simplifying the recovery of individual files and folders, including:
•      Recovers individual files and folders in seconds from either recovery points or file/folder backups
•      Now enables end user recovery of files and folders via Google Desktop or Backup Exec Retrieve using a common web-browser interface for fast and simple recovery, without IT intervention
Centralized Management
Providing IT administrators an at-a-glance, centralized view of all system backup and recovery activity across multiple systems, the new Backup Exec System Recovery Manager simplifies administration for organizations with more than a single system. This option lets administrators centrally create backup and recovery jobs, view status, run reports, and add new systems quickly and easily as required.
•      Simplifies administration of multiple servers, desktops and laptops
•      Delivers reporting functionality and trend analysis views
•      Scales from small businesses to larger Windows environments
Revolutionary New User Interface
Calendar view shows past, present and future recovery points for each volume on the system and the protection level of each.
•      Simple, easy to use
•      Incorporates automated best practice decision making and reporting (backed up, partially protected, at risk)
Customizable Symantec Recovery Disk
Simplifies and speeds system recovery by allowing IT administrators to build their own recovery environment with drivers unique to their hardware needs. It automatically harvests system drivers from the system the customizable SRD is being created on. It also allows for manual inclusion of additional 3rd party drivers with the ability to burn to CD or ISO format.
Dynamic CPU-based Performance Throttling
Improves performance on desktops or laptops to utilize resources more efficiently while capturing a recovery point. Also includes support for Dual- and Quad-Core Systems.
File/Folder Backup and Recovery
Allows users to backup selective files and folders on a separate schedule from full system or volume recovery points. Users can also search and retrieve files from file/folder backups.
Customizable Event Driven Recovery Points
Allows users to specify which executable(s) or .com files they wish to trigger a new recovery point. This expands on the existing set of event triggers (prior to application installation, user log on or off, and configurable storage utilization changes).
Enhanced Scheduling Capabilities
Automated best practice scheduling based on system configuration and storage availability. Additionally, you can now schedule incremental recovery points as often as 15 minutes, thus saving time and reducing disk storage requirements by capturing only the changes that were made since the last recovery point.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #34 - May 15th, 2007 at 11:18pm

Brian wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 10:48pm:
You are correct. Both will do Files and Folders backup. Ghost 12 has the 3 advanced features that you mentioned and NSR doesn't. I doubt most people would use these features. Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 Desktop Edition adds Restore Anyware to the Ghost 12 features.

I'm perfectly happy with Ghost 10 and its reliability for now.  But when I need Vista support, I have about decided that Norton Save & Restore 2.0 is going to be my upgrade choice (without using the file/folder feature).  I intuitively feel it is the closest upgrade for Ghost 10, and should be the most trouble (bug) free.

I can't see how Ghost 12 remote management could/would be that beneficial.  In order to need the ability to monitor other networked Ghost 12 applications, you would have to buy full licenses of Ghost 12, for each pc, which would be a lot more expensive than buying one of the enterprise products if that's what one wanted.  I can't understand the market or design approach for that Symantec management used here.  Who is the target audience for Ghost 12?

For me personally Norton Save & Restore 2.0 seems the best upgrade path.  Of course I'm willing to hear testimonials pro and con for all versions as well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print