Send Topic Print
Rad gets Ghost 12 (Read 21858 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Rad gets Ghost 12
May 16th, 2007 at 9:46pm

Got Ghost 12 today. Haven't actually *used* it yet, but plan to back-up laptop to USB Seagate (500 gigger).

Today is a new day.  Tongue

Was also thinking of throwing together something on Ghost 12 .. altho I doubt it actually needs a guide .. like DOS-based Ghost did.

Could orient toward back-up philosophys & "prudent practices" and things to watch for (common mistakes).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Rad gets Ghost 12
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2007 at 10:26pm

Rad, welcome to the dark side. We'll be interested to hear your comparisons with Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2007 at 11:14pm

I think the crux of any disk imaging prgm is reliability of the restore. I mean, the ability to create an image means nothing if the restore won't restore.

And hopefully that's not something I'll need to do any time soon.

But ya, the interface will be way diff. It's a Drive Image image, essentially. It's like I'm converting to DI, cuz of its sppt for Windows.

And I would always have a Ghost 2003 image on hand .. a sort of back-up's back-up.

But I'll first have to uninstall Ghost 2003, and I wanna grab one last image b4 doing that.

The end of an era.  Smiley

I still remember badly needing the program to work for me, and not knowing how to make it work .. and not being able to find anybody who could tell (I mean, not one person.) .. and reading the manual and saying, "Huh?"

And after learning some tricks (such as local > partition > image) .. I told some freinds, "Let me tell you about this cool prgm I found." And they said, "Yeah, that sounds rad."

Then they asked, "How do you get this thing to work?"

That was the beginning. Emails became a web page (copy-n-paste), which became 2, .. then 3, ...

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2007 at 11:37pm

When was Ghost 12 released?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2007 at 12:25am

Brian wrote on May 16th, 2007 at 10:26pm:
"... Rad, welcome to the dark side..."

During the trial of the eight Chicago "Black Sox" players accused of throwing the 1919 World Series against the Cincinatti Reds, the mighty "Shoeless Joe" Jackson was descending the courthouse steps surrounded by frantic newsmen.  When Jackson stepped down onto the sidewalk and out to the curb, a tearful barefoot and ragged newsboy ran right up to him crying out, "Say it ain't so, Joe!  Please, say it ain't so!!!".

Tonight, more than a few of us can readily relate to that little newsboy's sentiments Roll Eyes

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2007 at 9:01am

Rad wrote on May 16th, 2007 at 11:14pm:
I think the crux of any disk imaging prgm is reliability of the restore. I mean, the ability to create an image means nothing if the restore won't restore.

And hopefully that's not something I'll need to do any time soon.

But ya, the interface will be way diff. It's a Drive Image image, essentially. It's like I'm converting to DI, cuz of its sppt for Windows.

And I would always have a Ghost 2003 image on hand .. a sort of back-up's back-up.

But I'll first have to uninstall Ghost 2003, and I wanna grab one last image b4 doing that.

The end of an era.  Smiley

Rad

Many of us who started with Ghost 2003, whose bullet-proof reliability for restore and currently have access to Symantec Ghost from GSS2 which has support for W98 thru Vista continue to use Ghost. (I hope Symantec would some day sell single seat licenses).

We would all be glad to hear about your experience with DI.

Rama

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2007 at 11:08am

"... The end of an era.Smiley..."

"N'en parlez j'amais; pensez y toujours!"

"... And I would always have a Ghost 2003 image on hand .. a sort of back-up's back-up... But I'll first have to uninstall Ghost 2003, and I wanna grab one last image b4 doing that..."

You will indeed have to uninstall Norton Ghost 2003.  On the other hand, you can run either Ghost 2003 or Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 in WIN PE from removable media while any "hot-imaging" Ghost product is installed (see link below).  I would advocate making either "(whole)disk-to-image" Ghost Backups or "(whole)disk-to-(whole)disk" Ghost Clones, but I suppose the "partition-to-image" Backup mode is viable as well.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1154372243/14#14

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2007 at 6:50pm

Rad, I applaud your forthrightness in stating your intention to start using Norton Ghost 12.  You and your website have done much over the years to assist numerous individuals with Norton Ghost 2003, and I trust that the trend will continue now with Norton Ghost 12.

Please do post your experiences with Norton Ghost 12, since it appears that few have actually used the product since its release.

Personally, I will probably continue to use Norton Ghost 10 in Windows XP (and occasionally Ghost 8.2 in Windows PE) until I upgrade to Windows Vista in late 2007 or early 2008.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:00pm

Pleonasm wrote on May 17th, 2007 at 6:50pm:
Personally, I will probably continue to use Norton Ghost 10 in Windows XP ...

What?! Come on, Pleo. Time to join the 21st century. Stop holding on to the past.  Smiley (Rad trying to be funny .. given my history of sticking with Ghost 2003 .. now I'm a crusader for modernization.)

Been busy here last few days with life-stuff. Haven't been able to get around to G12. I want to be able to devote my full attention to that. Maybe grab some screen shots along the way, and jot down some first impressions.

(Thanks Pesky.)

Rama wrote on May 17th, 2007 at 9:01am:
Many of us who started with Ghost 2003, whose bullet-proof reliability for restore and currently have access to Symantec Ghost from GSS2 which has support for W98 thru Vista continue to use Ghost. (I hope Symantec would some day sell single seat licenses).

Yeah, I agree. Could only generate more revenue for them. I would certainly tout its advantages.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2007 at 7:19pm

I uninstalled Ghost 2003 last night. Ran the Norton Removal Tool afterwards.

Haven't installed Ghost 12 yet. Maybe tomorrow. Uninstalling Ghost 2003 was traumatic enough.  Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 3:48pm

Rad, have you been using Ghost 12?  What is your experience with and impression of the product?

How is the Norton Ghost 12 Guide progressing?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print