Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost hangs in Basic or Advanced (Read 4447 times)
barebear
Radmeister

Power User--someone running
Ghost in DOS !

Ghost hangs in Basic or Advanced
May 22nd, 2007 at 1:35am

Greetings Nightowl and El Pescador,

Thank you guys again for all the intense help a few months ago! Everything has been working fine for me, but now the neighbor, who is not at all a computer whiz, has a problem.

He has Ghost 2003 on an XP SP2 machine, knows how to do basic program updates, run real basic stuff like CCleaner and the Windows disk cleanup, but thats the limit of his expertise.

I showed him how it was done, and made a Ghost for him (from C: to an external USB drive) in January of '06. He has loads of ( for him) critical work stuff on his system and promised that he'd make himself a fresh Ghost at least once a month and keep his My Documents contents in a folder I acordingly named and made for him on the USB drive. In addition to what you'll read next, I come to find out that he hadn't even tried to make a Ghost since the one I made for him----he said he was intimidated by the program interface!
(But at least he got the concept and is using the USB "My Documents " folder I made for him)

Earlier tonight, I get a frantic phone call, go over to deal with his system issues, want to make a Ghost of whats there in case my fix-it efforts make things worse, and find out I can't get Ghost to run ------ when the rig reboots after being Windows initialized in either Basic or Advanced, and Ghost boots to the point where it says " Trying to find a letter for your Iomega drive", the cursor sits there blinking and even after 2 minutes, there are no changes whatsoever. I have to power the machine off via its on/off button and then click the "return to Windows " option after restarting.

What do you guys advise as the best plan of attack?--should I try to run Ghost again, and then send you a copy of the generated error log, or......?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

My best regards, Peter

Sometimes the light's just shining on me, other times I barely can see...... what a long strange trip its turning out to be

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Re: Ghost hangs in Basic or Advanced
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:43am

If there is a second drive on the system, I would boot from floppy of if you have access to Ghost10 recovery disk, you may want to try to use it to boot and make an image.

Rama

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 9:01am

Rama wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 8:43am:
"... if you have access to Ghost10 recovery disk, you may want to try to use it to boot and make an image..."

Should you have on hand either a Norton Ghost 10.0, Norton Save & Restore, or the Symantec Recovery Disk included with Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier you can boot up with the factory CD to immediately engage the legacy Backup/Restore "cold-imaging" procedures by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
.  Following this procedure will yield the side benefit of bypassing both USB mass-storage device and - most, if not all of - those maddening SATA HDD glitches frequently encountered with DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003.  This procedure is independent of boot capabilities of any other removable media or any HDDs.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow both immediate creation of Ghost Backup images or the converse Recovery of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003 -
but not with those files created with Norton Ghost 9, Norton Ghost 10.0, or Norton Save & Restore during "hot-imaging".

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2007 at 10:21am

barebear

Quote:
want to make a Ghost of whats there in case my fix-it efforts make things worse, and find out I can't get Ghost to run ------ when the rig reboots after being Windows initialized in either Basic or Advanced, and Ghost boots to the point where it says " Trying to find a letter for your Iomega drive", the cursor sits there blinking and even after 2 minutes, there are no changes whatsoever.

On my system, using the Norton/Iomega DOS USB driver *guest.exe*--if I have a USB card reader hooked up to the system, then during boot, Ghost times out for a *long* time--I've been known to go and get a cup of coffee--and I don't hurry!--so, I'd give it a good 5-10 min to be sure the program has really *hung*!

If I disconnect the USB card reader (and perhaps any other USB storage devices other than the external USB HDD you want to use)--then *guest.exe* wizes through the drive letter assignment process!

The Panasonic DOS USB driver does not show this same boot delay.

Let us know where you are at with this!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print