Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lost partition restoring to empty HDD - Ghost 10.0 (Read 3514 times)
cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lost partition restoring to empty HDD - Ghost 10.0
May 22nd, 2007 at 11:26pm

Ghost 10.0
Originally the laptop had drive C: and drive D:.  The computer was crashing.  The old disk was not dead - it was just erradic and suspect.  I still have it.
I had several good Ghost images on a USB external drive.
I purchased a brand new 40GB HDD.
I installed it and booted the Recovery Environment CD.
I chose the Recover My Computer wizard.
It restored the Ghost image onto the new, empty drive.  One thing I did notice was that NCE considered the external USB drive to be C:.  (I did not initialize the new disk in any way.  I just "shoved" it in there, if you will.)
I booted into Windows and everything was (appeared to be) fine.
----------------
Then I noticed the drive size is 30 GB.  I lost 10 GB.
----------------
I don't really know what was on Drive D:.  This is a Gateway notebook.  I'm thinking it was a recovery or Utility partition, or something like that.  I'm 99.9% sure there was no "data" on there.  (This is not my computer - I am doing this for someone else).  I would like to return the computer as I found it - with both a C: and D: drive.
----------------
I think I can put the old drive in a 2.5" USB enclose.  I think if I do that I will see a C: and a D: drive on it.
----------------
I am not experienced with partitions.
I really don't know what to do - if anything - although losing 25% of one's drive space is unpleasant.
----------------
I would be grateful to learn
- where I went wrong
- what my optiions might be to correct my goof.
THANK YOU
----------------
Oh yeah, two more things:
1) When I tried to edit my Norton schedule on this PC, after the restore, to not back up tonight, because I'm doing a DeFrag, Ghost told me (approximately) "you can't edit this schedule because it refers to bad drive (or drives - I forget)
2) When I restarted Windows after Restoring to the empty dirve, Windows said it "recognized new HW" and told me to reboot.  After rebooting, all seemed OK.  I then discovered I lost 10 GB.  (I hope I can reenter the Ghost jobs that it wouldn't let me edit.  That part might be that simple.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Lost partition restoring to empty HDD - Ghost
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2007 at 12:20am

cardinal23,

Quote:
I think I can put the old drive in a 2.5" USB enclose.

Do that and look in My Computer and see if the second partition contains any data. Also look in Disk Management and confirm there are two partitions on the old HD. How large is each partition and how much Free Space in each?

In Disk Management, does your new HD show around 7 GB of Unallocated Space after the OS partition?

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2007 at 6:20am

Disk Management shows the new HDD having 6.83GB of unallocated space.
------------
Can I put the old HDD in and Ghost D: onto my external 3.5 USD drive?
Can I then Recover that D: image onto the now-unallocated space?
I should ask: How do I do that?  Will Ghost allow me to Recover that D: image onto the unallocated space?

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2007 at 1:42pm

THe outcome ...
I went into Disk Management and partitioned the unallocaed space to be my D: drive.  I then hoped to copy the "old D:", which was now USB-enclosure-connected.  Ghost complained and said I'm trying to write to a drive in use.  I think I needed a partition copier, not a disk copier.  (Didn't know where to find a Partition copier.)
---------------------
It turns out what was on this D: drive was Gateway's Recovery Image (I forget what they call it).  I realized that is redundant to Ghosting, which this laptop does nightly, so I punted on restoring the partition.  D: is now an empty 6.82 GB space ready for YouTube videos, family photos from the Ozarks, and the like.
---------------------
In closing: I still don't know how to copy partitions.  I am ready to give the computer back.  I call it "done".
---------------------
Regards, David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print