Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10:  SmartSector Copying (Read 8701 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Ghost 10:  SmartSector Copying
May 22nd, 2007 at 10:15am

What experiences do individuals have using Norton Ghost 10 with SmartSector copying disabled?  Recall that by disabling this option, the recovery point contains “all clusters and sectors in their original layout, whether or not they contain data.  This option lets you copy both used and unused clusters and sectors" (Norton Ghost 10.0 User’s Guide, page 63).
  • How much longer does it take to create an image with the SmartSector option disabled as compared to enabled?
  • How much larger is the size of the recovery point with the SmartSector option disabled as compared to enabled?  (Is this size reduced by first filling the free space of the hard disk drive with zero bytes and using compression?)
  • Can incremental recovery points be created if the base recovery point was created with the SmartSector option disabled?
  • What limitations arise when restoring a recovery point created with the SmartSector option disabled?  For example, is it possible to restore the recovery point to a larger (smaller) hard disk drive?  Is it possible to “Resize drive to fill unallocated space” (Norton Ghost 10.0 User’s Guide, page 101)?
  • Can a recovery point created with the SmartSector option disabled be mounted as a virtual hard disk drive in Windows XP and browsed or verified?
  • Other observations and considerations?
Thank you for your assistance.

P.S.:  My motivation in pursuing this topic is related to the fact that PGP Whole Disk Encryption appears to be compatible with Norton Ghost 10, provided that the recovery point is created with SmartSector copying disabled.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 10:  SmartSector Copying
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:10pm

Pleo, other than your stated purpose, why would someone clone with SS disabled? (since images consume so much more space, right?)

I use PGP back when it was ALL free (v7.x?). Now I think only a small part is free, right?

The disk encryption I think is almost certainly NOT free.

Impressive piece of software.

You still using Ghost 10??? When you gonna join the 21st century & move up to Ghost 12?  Smiley (humor)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 11:05pm

Rad wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 10:10pm:
You still using Ghost 10??? When you gonna join the 21st century & move up to Ghost 12?  Smiley (humor)

I was leaning towards getting Norton Save & Restore 2.0 (because it is so similar to Ghost 10).  But the $23.58 (assuming I get the rebate) for Ghost 12 mentioned on the Good Deals was too cheap to pass up; I ordered it today.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2007 at 7:01am

Rad, you are right:  other than for specialized applications, a user would be better served by enabling SmartSector copying, in order to realize the speed and size benefits when creating a recovery point.  Personally, I keep this option enabled now - but may need to disable it, depending upon whether I adopt a whole disk encryption approach (and which encryption tool is used).

The PGP Whole Disk Encryption utility isn't free, to be sure.  There is a basic part of the PGP Desktop product that remains free yet to this day, to the best of my knowledge.

Ghost 12?  I'm waiting for either a very good retail sale, or when I upgrade from Windows XP to Vista!  Wink

Rad, what do you like (dislike) about Ghost 12 so far?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2007 at 7:49am

Pleonasm wrote on May 23rd, 2007 at 7:01am:
Ghost 12?  I'm waiting for either a very good retail sale, or when I upgrade from Windows XP to Vista!

Do you think it will be less than $23.58 (with free shipping)?  

I don't need Ghost 12 for now, but will save it for whenever I get Vista.  Unless you're not going to upgrade to Vista for a year and want to wait for Ghost 13, I just don't expect it will cost less than it is now.  I think the offer expires end of this week.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print