Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating a modified OEM Recovery Disk for Ghost (Read 21316 times)
allanf
Radmeister

Hey Rad! What a cool site!

Creating a modified OEM Recovery Disk for Ghost
May 4th, 2007 at 10:54am

Hi,

I have a question!  Smiley

My Laptop came with a Recovery DVD-ROM containg a Ghost Image which works extremely well. However, this OEM Recovery Image is out-dated, and it has been recommended by Computer Support to create a fresh Ghost Image for recovery. I purchased Norton SystemWorks Premier which includes Ghost 10, and also an older version (8?) on the Symantec Recovery Disk.

Unfortunately, I am suffering from a problem described here:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136563554/19#19

With Ghost 10, I am unable to burn/write a Ghost Image to a set of DVDs. In addition, my Laptop does not have the ability to boot from an external USB Hard-Drive, and I don't have a Floppy Drive. The OEM Recovery Disk does not offer an option to create Partitions, and it restores the OEM Recovery Image to a single Volume.

My Laptop has two hard-disks, but before installing the OEM Recovery Image, I configure the disks as a single Hardware RAID-0 Array. The RAID configuration is carried out by the OEM Recovery Disk operation. I end up with one large volume (equal to the sum of both hard-disks), and, as I mentioned, the Recovery works very well. I am happy with this uncomplicated but fast setup.

My problem is that I have not been able to devise a way to utilise Ghost for an up-to-date Recovery Image. Ghost 10 is stated to be compatible with HardWare RAID-0 and RAID-1, and I have no problem creating an Image File of my C: Drive, which I can only write to the same C: Drive... fwiw!

The OEM Recovery Process involves rebooting several times: firstly to reformat (with Windows 98), then to install RAID, thirdly the Imaging/Cloning Process, then the XP Setup... (from memory... its been a while since I've done it).

The application that runs the OEM Recovery Image is a collaboration between Norton and Toshiba called TGHOST.EXE. The disk also contains GHOST.EXE in the same directory. The OEM Recovery Image File is password-protected (variable TGHOSTPS), and I have been unable to open it with any of the versions of Ghost that I have or with TGhost. Of course, the OEM Recovery Process does open it by running and calling various Batch Files. The main Batch File, which starts the Imaging Process contains the following lines:

CALL %CDDRV%\BASE\PREDATA.BAT
SET TGHOSTPS=%FILENAME%
cls
IF ".%CDDRV%"==".Q:" goto DiskLoad
call %DATADRV%\TOOLS\RECBOOT RecGhost
if exist R:\GHOSTERR.TXT goto Abort
goto ImgDone
:diskLoad
%CDDRV%\BASE\TGHOST -clone,mode=pload,src=%CDDRV%\BASE\PREINST.GHO:1,dst=1:1 -afile=P:\GHOSTERR.TXT -auto -sure -fni
%CDDRV%\BASE\MBR /C0 > NUL
%CDDRV%\BASE\LBA /C > NUL
if exist P:\GHOSTERR.TXT goto Abort
:ImgDone
%CDDRV%\bin\seq -rst 0

Finally, here is my Question. Can I exchange the OEM Recovery Image, "PREINST.GHO" for an up-to-date Image of my own which I would create with Ghost, and change the batch file to call Ghost rather than TGhost??  Supplementary Question  Smiley .... If so, how? There are three other Files in the same directory, but I don't know what they are for: "PREIN001.GHS", "PREIN002.GHS", and "PREIN003.GHS".

I am satisfied with the OEM Recovery Disk (apart from the lack of a Partitioning Option). It seems Robust and Fool-Proof., and it offers the option to set up either RAID-0 or RAID-1, or neither. However, I would sleep much better if I knew that the Image was more current. The desired Image File would be similar in size to the present Recovery Image: no user files which are backed-up with an archiving type of Programme; just the OS and a few important Programmes.

All thoughts and comments will be appreciated before I start.

edited: Added "HardWare" to references to RAID; added "OEM" to "Recovery" where appropriate, to make a clear distinction between a Personaliized Ghost Recovery and the OEM Factory Recovery.

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Re: Creating a modified OEM Recovery Disk for Ghos
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2007 at 10:23pm

Hi again,

Well! Continuing my research, I followed a link from this Forum's FAQ Thread:
"Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition" at http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

The article is extremely enlightening and provides a glimmer of hope, but has this to say:

"What This Document Is NOT About

This is not a "modding" webpage. It is certainly possible to modify or customize the DSR partition, or update the on-disk Ghost image with a new, customized image, but that is beyond the scope of what this webpage is about."   Sad

However, the Article does provide a link to:

"TUTORIAL: New ghost image for Dell Systme [sic] Restore" at:
http://www.notebookforums.com/thread149197.html

(In turn, a respondent to that Thread on Page 2 links back here to "Radify your laptop" at:

http://radified.com/Articles/laptop.htm

.... its a small world!  Smiley  )

So... anyone with a Dell Laptop should have no difficulties modifying the Dell System-Restore Partition to include a modified/customized Ghost Image that can be restored at the press of a button (Ctrl+F11).

I am amazed at the effort that has gone into these Articles, and most of the info goes way above my head. I'm a little bit in the dark, because I don't have a Dell, and I don't have a System-Restore Partition, just the Product Recovery DVD-Rom which holds the Ghost Image that I'm wishing to update.

Some things I've learnt:

Firstly, the "Norton Ghost 2003, Ghost 8 & Ghost Solution Suite Discussion Board" is the appropriate Forum for my topic because the more recent versions of Ghost are not compatible with the *.GHO Files used for OEM System Restorations.

Secondly, there may be obstacles thrown up by Special Hidden Partitions for devices like Dell's MediaDirect which allow rapid booting into a Media-Playing Interface. (See: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm) I have one of these (a LINUX Partition so I'm told), but unlike with Dell Laptops, there does not seem to be a tool, like Dan Goodell's DSRFIX (PTEDIT), to reveal my Hidden Partitions. My computer came with a separtate bootable installation CD containing the Media-playing Device. In my case, the question is: Would it matter, if I am simply trying to use the reliable OEM Factory Recovery process with a substituted Image File and full version of Ghost rather than the OEM's version?

Thirdly, as a relative "N0O6", my head is spinning round and round! (Where's the smiley for that?  Cheesy  Tongue  )

Can anyone help?

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2007 at 12:23am

Hi again,

I cannot believe how enjoyable these Forums are to read. If I keep going, I may become a Ghost aficionado without ever having had the pleasure of using the programme. Give me a year or two.  Smiley

I've been down a few blind alleys though.

There must be a logical explanation, but I wonder why Ghost 10 is not on the bootable Symantec Recovery Disc (SRD). Even if I could disentangle it from SystemWorks, it (or the Image Files it creates) would probably not fit on my proposed Recovery Disk. I'm trying to duplicate the OEM's Recovery Disc as near as possible to avoid complications.

From the SRD, I guess I can run D:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\GHOSTEXP.EXE and D:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\RESTOREGHOST.EXE, and I have managed to integrate RestoreGhost.exe (Ghost32.exe v8.2) into BartPE. It is dissapointing that that the CD/DVD-burning capabilities of the Ghost32.exe have been disabled in this crippled version. I have not discovered a way of modifying the SRD to incorporate my RAID Drivers (- no floppy drive - is there any help on this? -), whereas BartPE does this very well. So BartPE is my bootable Ghost DVD.

When trying to run the GHOST.EXE on the OEM's Recovery Disk, it seems to freeze at the first instant. Running TGHOST.EXE without switches or parameters yields nothing except the version - Version 2.0. Running the whole shebang as an OEM Recovery Process reveals the standard DOS Ghost Interface - bluish colour with ghost pic, progress bar, etc, except for the title - Toshiba Restore Tool v. 7.5.1, Copyright Toshiba Corp and Symantec 2001.

I seem to have been caught out of step with regard to Ghost 9.  Sad  
It was interesting to read the following:
Brian wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 3:45pm:
An even better version of BartPE is the ReatogoXPE version.
If you want to avoid using a network restore then Ghost 9 and subsequent versions would work. Boot to the Ghost Recovery Environment, remove the Ghost CD and insert the first DVD in your recovery series. You wil be instructed when to change DVDs. You only need a single optical drive.

If the entire Programme loads into RAM, will it work in reverse for creating Image Files on optical media when only a single Optical Drive is available? Anyways, it seems that I've missed out on Ghost 9.

You see .., the brick wall that I've hit (should have seen it coming) is that I have a single RAID-0 Volume (apart from a special hidden LINUX partition), and no capability to write any Image File to any other location.

So, before I can get anywhere, it seems that I am going to have to open my wallet for an external drive. The big question is: Can the SRD version of Ghost32.exe, when used in BartPE, write Image Files to external drives? Or: Is there a way around the crippled Optical-Media-Burning capabilities of that version?

I'm not up on these things.... Should I be looking for a Hard Drive or some other type of USB Device? Perhaps a third HD for my Laptop with a USB Enclosure, or a self-contained USB HD? What is recommended?

I am hoping to create Image Files similar in dimension to the following OEM files (I'm not even sure if this is possible):
PREINST.GHO          660,478 KB
PREIN001.GHS         660,479 KB
PREIN002.GHS         660,477 KB
PREIN003.GHS         338,704 KB
TOTAL                  2,320,138 KB

Because this thread has been deathly quiet, apart from my thinking aloud, I would appreciate a response from anyone who can see that this project is doomed for failure.

You may be thinking that purchasing an external drive will make my experience with Ghost 10 hunky dory, and render this project redundant. I have been communicating with owners of the same model Laptop who advise that an external drive does not provide a solution with either Ghost or Acronis TI. One owner claims to have squeezed from Acronis a special edition of TI for our Laptops!? But this has been refuted by another.

Nero seems like a possibility for simply writing Ghost 10 Images onto bootable DVDs. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, and the dedicated Forums, such as the Green Button, are chock-a-block with users describing conflicts between the CD/DVD Burning Engines of Nero and MCE.

Partitioning? Well, everywhere I look I see warning signs: Firstly about post-partitioning a RAID Array, and secondly about writing an Image File (even in a separate partition) on to the same RAID Array that is being Imaged. I haven't looked closely, but I am not aware of any Partitioning Utilities compatible with RAID... at least not the free ones.

What other alternatives?

Again, any advice will be gladly welcomed.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2007 at 7:59pm

allanf,

A few quick comments and let me know if I'm on your wavelength.

I'd forget the concept of writing images directly to DVDs and restoring from these discs. Too slow, likely to fail and lead to suicide.

Quote:
Should I be looking for a Hard Drive or some other type of USB Device? Perhaps a third HD for my Laptop with a USB Enclosure, or a self-contained USB HD? What is recommended?

Definitely. Your choice of purpose built or USB enclosure with HD. I like the latter but the former is probably less expensive. Make sure you get a 3 1/2 inch HD. Not a laptop HD.

When you boot to the Ghost 10 Recovery CD, can you see your C: drive?

If you want to learn lots about the Dell Media Direct Host Protected Area, see this thread.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=167401

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2007 at 1:59am

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2007 at 9:04am

Hi Brian,

I have started another thread regarding my travails with Ghost 2003:
"Optical Media in the Virtual Partition"
I intend to create and use a Recovery Disc like the OEM's Recovery Disc.

You sound like you speak from bitter experience when you mention writing images direct to DVDs.  Wink  I have read your previous warnings. The shopping link you provided is very tempting.

I expect that the image I am seeking will be no greater than 4,000,000KB (3.8GB) if I can get ghost.exe to write to DVD+R DL disk; smaller if I can only use single-layer DVDs. My experimentation indicates that Ghost is writing at around 120MB/min (122,880KB/min); a little over half an hour to write the entire image.

I have no idea how long the Restoration process might take. Are you able to give any indication? I know that it will be shorter than the three or four days it takes to get my computer set up after using the OEM's Recovery Disk.

Apart from size, my two main concerns were preserving my Hardware RAID-0 Array and the "Special Hidden Partition" for the rapid-boot media-playing thingo.

I am happy to report that ghost.exe in the DOS Virtual Partition does not see through my RAID-0 Array, and seems to write my files in one piece. I thought of a good analogy for RAID.
NON-RAID                 .         RAID-0                     .         RAID-1            
HDD1     HDD2         .         HDD1     HDD2         .         HDD1     HDD2
H     W         .         H     E         .         H     H
E     O         .         L     L         .         E     E
L     R         .         O     W         .         L     L
L     L         .         O     R         .         L     L
O     D         .         L     D         .         O     O

You can see why I am relieved when the system can read a single RAID-0 Array as "HELLO WORLD" rather than trying to interpret two disks as "HLOOL ELWRD".

As for the "Special Hidden Partition", I have no idea what problems it may cause. I don't know if it is a Host-Protected Area (HPA) like the Dells, but I do know that nothing I have tried has been able to see it, and that it is not included in the RAID Array. The RAID Array size is twice the size of the 80GB HDD1 less the size of the 5GB Partition; that is, 2 x (80GB - 5GB) = 150GB. That is all that anything ever sees. If I can manage a quick crash course in Linux, I'll boot up one of those Live CDs to determine what Linux is able to see.

I tried to read the thread in your link. A great piece of work, but I couldn't follow properly because I don't have a Dell or a System Restore Partition... nor the technical knowledge. One thing though, do you think I need concern myself about the mechanism which causes the media-player OS to boot? ... the code in LBA-0 and LBA-3? My boot process may be similar to the Dell. However, I understand that my "Special Hidden Partition" is Linux and I have a separate CD to recover (or update) it, unlike the Dells' DSR. It is not installed with the OEM's OS Recovery DVD. I am hoping that Ghost will see nothing but the RAID Array when it comes to creating and restoring an image.

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think that my idea of modding an OEM Disk had been left out in the cold.

Regards, Al

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2007 at 5:07pm

Al,

Your project sounds fascinating. I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I'm just presenting an alternative.

Quote:
You sound like you speak from bitter experience when you mention writing images direct to DVDs.

Not bitter experience. Just disappointment with the process. Say you had an image spanned over 5 discs. Then the restore order would be 1 5 1 5 1 2 3 4 5 1. The DVD shuffle. Your image will be on one disc so that is practical.

I've only used DVDs for testing. With Ghost 10, writing the image to DVD takes about 5 times longer than writing direct to a HD. In fact that is a method some use to speed up the process. Writing the image to a HD in 4480 MB splits and then burning the splits to DVDs with Nero. You can imagine how long a restore will take and if you have a single "bad" DVD then the whole image is useless. This scenario has been reported several times in the Acronis True Image forum.

Quote:
My experimentation indicates that Ghost is writing at around 120MB/min

Writing an image to a HD from Ghost 10 would be ten times faster than this speed.

Quote:
I know that it will be shorter than the three or four days it takes to get my computer set up after using the OEM's Recovery Disk.

Good point.

Quote:
As for the "Special Hidden Partition"

What is it for? Video/Music? If you can't see it in Disk Management or a partitioning app then it's likely to be HPA. Using the MHDD app will confirm this. If I had a Dell laptop with a System Restore partition and a HPA, I'd delete both as they are of no use to me. Others may think they are great.

I like your "HELLO WORLD" analogy. Where are you from?

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2007 at 5:01am

Brilliant!  Grin

I love Ghost 2003.  Kiss

Thanks to Pesky (El_Pescador) for helping me find it on my NSW Premier 2006 Installation Disk.   Smiley
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1170849092/20#20

Thanks to all the other contributers to these Forums, and to Rad.   Smiley

Thanks also to LIGHTNING UK! for ImgBurn which built the ISO.   Smiley

I'm writing to you from a Ghost 2003 Restored Computer. I've got Hardware RAID, and a hidden Partition for rapid-booting (20 seconds) to TV and CD/DVD. My Software is up-to-date, and my Hardware and Networking is installed and running. And I can Re-do it all again from scratch in less than thirty minutes!

I'm over the moon! Grin Thanks Ghost!

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2007 at 5:18am

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print