Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost image for RAID-0?!? (Read 17232 times)
nbree
Ex Member

Re: Using Ghost image for RAID-0?!?
Reply #15 - May 31st, 2007 at 9:12pm

Doing a disk-level image operation carries the boot code from the source system. One of the problems with boot code in general is that like everything else, it's copyrighted (and subject to patents too, even more messily). There is boot code in gdisk that it will use with the "gdisk /mbr" switch which is one we're allowed to redistribute but I don't believe Ghost has that embedded.

With respect to partition images, it may be that restoring them won't alter the MBR on the target disk even if it doesn't detect an MBR signature there already. So, you might not end up with boot code in the MBR at all if the disk you're restoring to is completely and utterly blank. If you're restoring a partition image to an empty disk fresh from a manufacturer, it's probably a good idea to have the disk initialised by something at least once before using it with a partition load so there's some suitable boot code on it.

As for the Raid-0 question, gaming performance ... I don't know any more.

In times of yore it did make a difference to me, but with the new system I got one of the 7200.10 Seagate's (just a little 250Mb one, but all of the 7200.10 series benchmark really well) for the boot volume, while I also compared them to a Raid-0 stripe set with two WD Caviars. All drives are SATA.

Having used them both as boot drives, I can honestly say I can't tell the difference between the array and non-array, at least in any game I have (mainly Oblivion, which is what I speced out the new machine specifically to play smoothly - which it does).

I used to be able to get a noticeable bump from striping on older machines in the IDE days, and I was really expecting to get one. But given all the improvements in systems these days the practical difference from striping for me is now marginal enough that I'd rather use a mirror set and get some reliability. YMMV of course, and if you've got a particular game that you're interested in (like I was with Oblivion) once you've got things set up you can switch back and forth a few times to check how things "feel" in practice.

IP Logged

Pisklink
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 5:12pm

Quote:
If I had partitions, I would do the testing myself.

Well, thats actually not possible. Because from the moment I set up a RAID configuration those partitions will probably be lost, as you said.

Quote:
If Partition-from-Image Restoration works in the non-RAID environment, it should also work in the RAID environment. The transition from non-RAID to RAID (and back) is the concern.

Partition-from-image works great in a non-RAID environment because I did already a few times. But why whould it be a problem to convert back from RAID to non-RAID? I still got my old single disk Ghost images on my new 500Gb HDD which I would intend to use to install RAID-0. So, if that doesn't work I could use those images to convert back to single disk. Additionally, I will take a look at Toms Hardware guid FAQ.

EDIT: I just read the guide and its damn nice. Thanks for finding it. I don't really know what you think the problem could be because I (as being a n00b) have the feeling it could actually work. The only thing is they are suggesting that Ghost has some partition-to-partition feature which I can't recall at this moment if that is true. They use completely new disks on the second controller to perform the task. I want to use my third (new) HDD as an intermediary disk to store an Ghost image, switch my disks to the other controller on my mobo (or stick with the one I use now) and set up a RAID-0 array accordingly. Then copy my image to the RAID-0 array. Seems to me like almost the same procedure only I don't use completely new disks. I don't know if the old data still present on the two Maxtor disks can interfere with the restored image. Because if I'm correct the restoration of the image to RAID-0 will overwrite my old windows partition and at the same time some data on the second physical HDD (see partition image of Partition Magic).

@ Nbree

Quote:
As for the Raid-0 question, gaming performance ... I don't know any more.

Well, a clanmate of me has to WD Raptors of 74Gb in RAID-0 and it is damn fast, according to him. So if I'm correct, from your experience you can't really confirm that it is faster (loadtimes, etc.) than non-RAID disks? Cuz that would be the only reason for me to set up this array and it would not be worth the trouble if it doesn't make a significant difference.

AMD Athlon64 4000+ @ 2,8Ghz| Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce 4 | 2x1024MB Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2 (2-3-3-6-1T @ 400Mhz) | Asus 7800GT 256MB | Creative Labs Audigy 4 | 2 x 200GB Maxtor 7200rpm 8MB cache SATA-II HDD | Cooler Master 380W PSU&&

IP Logged

Pisklink
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 5:28pm

I'm still searching the internet to find out what to do. I just found this Anandtech article and was wondering what your opinion is on it.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2101

I know it's a bit old but still not obsolete I think. Although ofcourse HDD have developed through the years I think that my HDD are still not as fast as those Raptor II HDD's. When Anandtech is true, it is not worth the effort for me because I was planning to use RAID-0 for gaming only. And above all, I would risk to loose a flawlessly working system!!!!

Last week I was also thinking, that I maybe already use some kind of RAID-0 setup because the OS togetherr with the Windows swapfile are installed on a different physical HDD than my games. So when loading and playing games there is already some simultanuous read/write action present.

AMD Athlon64 4000+ @ 2,8Ghz| Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce 4 | 2x1024MB Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2 (2-3-3-6-1T @ 400Mhz) | Asus 7800GT 256MB | Creative Labs Audigy 4 | 2 x 200GB Maxtor 7200rpm 8MB cache SATA-II HDD | Cooler Master 380W PSU&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print