Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Creating Recovery Point Stalls at 94% (Read 20384 times)
Rick Archer
Dude

Fairfield, Iowa

Creating Recovery Point Stalls at 94%
Jun 9th, 2007 at 7:53pm

I've been running Ghost 10 for about a year without a hitch. Recently upgraded to Vista and NG 12. NG12 ran OK for a while but now I'm having problems which I may have exacerbated in trying to fix them. Now, while creating a recovery point, the process reaches 94% completion, but never completes. I tried reformatting the destination drive and running the repair option in the NG12 installation software to no avail. Any suggestions? I'm not as technical as some of you folks, so please go easy on me with your answer. Thanks.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Creating Recovery Point Stalls at 94%
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 8:18pm

you did "upgrade" to vista .. or new install?

vista has been problematic for many due to rather high hardware req'ments.

lots going back to wxp.

in trying to fix, you only reformatted destination? that should do no harm.

give yer drive size/specs. partitions?

how much data is on dest drive.

empty your recycle bin to start.

what is exact error?

is there a chance the drive is filling?

is source drive diff from dest?

i'll be installing g12 shortly.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 8:26pm

Wink Hi there Ric,

My motto is "if it ain't broke don't fix it"  I know that is no answer to your problems....BUT

Why did up upgrade to Vista and Ghost 12 just out of interest?  I am not one of the Guru' on this site, hopefully Brian or Ghost4me will pick up your thread.  They certainly got me out of trouble a couple of weeks ago..Since then I have imaged my 25GB to a new HD that I am running on now.....Just to see if it worked and it did, so I have the three year old HD sitting on the side of the new one in the tower so am well backed up thankfully.

My Ghost 10 is set to do one complete recovery once a week with incremental backups once a day unless I install anything or my data exceeds 500MB.......

Hope you find the answer here, you will I know when one of the Guru's sees your post.

regards,

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

Rick Archer
Dude

Fairfield, Iowa

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 9:23pm

Responding to tallin:
Quote:
My motto is "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

I think mine is "Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread."
Quote:
Why did up upgrade to Vista and Ghost 12 just out of interest?

I upgraded to Vista because I've always tended to upgrade to the latest, greatest and work out the bugs afterwards, and that's always worked out pretty well for me. On the whole, I like Vista. My machine seems to perform better with it, and I like the interface. I upgraded to Ghost 12 because the Vista upgrade required it.
Quote:
My Ghost 10 is set to do one complete recovery once a week with incremental backups once a day

My complete recovery was quarterly, but I just changed it to weekly on your inspiration.
Quote:
unless I install anything

Would you recommend that in case an installation seriously screws things up?

Responding to Rad:
Quote:
you did "upgrade" to vista .. or new install?

Upgrade
Quote:
vista has been problematic for many due to rather high hardware req'ments.

I have pretty "high" hardware. 1.86GHz processor, 4Gb RAM, 2 250 GB drives.
Quote:
how much data is on dest drive. 

It's used only for backup.
Quote:
is there a chance the drive is filling?

That was the problem at one point, but the problem I reported has been happening even when drive hasn't filled. When Ghost was working smoothly, I had it set to automatically free up drive space by deleting old recovery points when needed.
Quote:
is source drive diff from dest?

Yes. Source drive holds all my apps, files, system, etc. Destination drive is only for backup.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:15pm

Rick Archer wrote on Jun 9th, 2007 at 9:23pm:
I think mine is "Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread."

We all have been guilty of that Ric!
Quote:
My machine seems to perform better with it, and I like the interface. I upgraded to Ghost 12 because the Vista upgrade required it.

Good enough reason
Quote:
My complete recovery was quarterly, but I just changed it to weekly on your inspiration.

Good idea
Quote:
unless I install anything

Quote:
Would you recommend that in case an installation seriously screws things up?

Yes I would because they are incremental recovery points so can be manually deleted if you suspect anything.  I infact have my options in Ghost 10 set to automatically delete, but it is not sharp enough for me so I manually delete them to keep my
E:\Drive, Ghost Drive (Seagate Barracuda internal removable 160GB) trim.   I do not want to reduce the disk space for saving Ghost points so choose to delete manually
Quote:
I have pretty "high" hardware. 1.86GHz processor, 4Gb RAM, 2 250 GB drives

You are well set up for HD space
Quote:
That was the problem at one point, but the problem I reported has been happening even when drive hasn't filled. When Ghost was working smoothly, I had it set to automatically free up drive space by deleting old recovery points when needed.

I did too but as I said, not trim enough for me so I delete manually every few days.

Good luck with this, hope my little contribution helps, but as I said one of the Guru's will pick you up in awhile.  Rad is already in the picture.  Wink

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:16pm

source/destination= physically separate drives or different partitions on same drive? sounds like diff physical drive with 2X250.

clean installs are always better than upgrades. eliminates the chance of left-over files from wxp which could cause problems. any chance of starting over from scratch with a new, freshly-formatted partition? suks, i know, but cleaner.

Quote:
4Gb RAM
u suk.  Smiley

actually brian & john (ghost4me) are the v9, 10, 12 gurus. I've never used Ghost past v2003.

Quote:
That was the problem at one point,

how much data is on the source & destination partitions?

how big is the destination?

some programs can reserve space without informing windows. you *think* you have more than you really have. then another prgm (like ghost) tries to use that space and errors (hence emptying trash, norton protected files, etc.)

so you don't want to be close. if ghost has to start *deleting* files .. you're asking for trouble.

can you recall exact error verbiage?

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:21pm

Quote:
4Gb RAM
u suk.  Smiley

Rad Really....... Seriously I agree, 4GB makes me sick!

IP Logged

Rick Archer
Dude

Fairfield, Iowa

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:47am

Quote:
source/destination= physically separate drives or different partitions on same drive? sounds like diff physical drive with 2X250.

Two physically different drives. The 2nd one dedicated exclusively to backing up the first.
Quote:
any chance of starting over from scratch with a new, freshly-formatted partition? suks, i know, but cleaner.

I'm sure it would be, but I dread the thought of going through that. It would probably take me days.
Quote:
how much data is on the source & destination partitions?

125 Gb on the C drive. BestBuy created a 5Gb partition of my C drive as a recovery disk. The destination drive isn't partitioned.
Quote:
how big is the destination?

250Gb. At the moment it's only half full, (or half empty, depending on how you look at it) but I'm still stuck at 94% in the recovery point creation process. I'll bet that if I leave it running all night, which I'll do, it'll still be at 94% in the morning. Also whatever is going on is quite demanding on the system. Other functions, such as tying this, are intermittently compromised.
Quote:
can you recall exact error verbiage?

I'm not getting it now, but at one point, after canceling the backup, I was getting an error that Ghost was having trouble communicating with the drive, or something like that. Otherwise, there's not an error message. The thing just runs and runs at 94% completion, and sometimes hitting the cancel button doesn't work (or I'm not patient enough) and I have to force quit the Ghost to get out of it.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 1:00am

so both drives are 250 giggers?

1st drive = C = 1/2 full.

2nds drive = D = also half full (unpartitioned)?

are you creating images or cloning?

IP Logged

Rick Archer
Dude

Fairfield, Iowa

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 8:08am

Edited:
so both drives are 250 giggers?

Right
Edited:
1st drive = C = 1/2 full.

2nds drive = D = also half full (unpartitioned)?

Right

Quote:
are you creating images or cloning?

By that I presume you mean that Ghost can either create compressed archive files, one for each recovery point, or can create a mirror image of the source drive, with all the cloned files on the destination drive separate, as they are on the source drive. If that's what you mean, I'm doing the first thing.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 9:01am

i believe you said the 2nd drive was unformatted.

didn't know ghost could write images to unformatted space. like i said, i haven't yet used ghost 12/10/9.

we need one of the gurus here to take a look/see.

but if you're trying to image 125 gigs to another drive that contains 125 gigs of "free" space .. even with compression that's cutting it close .. especially if your source contains lots of mp3s, zip archives or other files (such as vdo) which don't compress much (they're *already* compressed).

usually it's best to partition drive so you can separate o/s & apps from other files:

http://partition.radified.com/

if you're image is dying at 94% you don't want to be cutting it close.

can you provide exact amount of data on source and exact amt of free space on destination?

you mentioned having trouble communicating with the drive (error). that could be drivers (e.g. chipset drivers) or mobo bios.

how old/new is your mobo?

which mobo?

new bios available for mobo?

new chipset drivers available from mobo manufacturer?

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 1:45pm

Do you have a Virtual Private Network on your system?

I had a similar problem with my ghost 9... Even an incremental took hours sometimes. Sometimes never completed. Solved the problem by disconnecting the VPN. Also, having a browser open during the backup can stall things out. I have since made sure that no apps are running during the backup time.

My VPN was Cisco. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Good luck,

Dave

IP Logged

Rick Archer
Dude

Fairfield, Iowa

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 2:56pm

Quote:
Do you have a Virtual Private Network on your system?

Not sure what that is. Would I have one if I hadn't set it up? I haven't.
Quote:
Also, having a browser open during the backup can stall things out. I have since made sure that no apps are running during the backup time.

I'll try that. Wasn't a problem before but may be now. Since I last posted, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Ghost 12 and started a new back up. The new one got to 80% rather quickly, but is now taking about 1/2 hour to complete each additional percentage point. I'm goin to go out soon and will close all other programs and see if that makes a difference.
Quote:
i believe you said the 2nd drive was unformatted.

It's formatted. I reformatted it at one point to see if that would make a difference. It didn't.
Quote:
but if you're trying to image 125 gigs to another drive that contains 125 gigs of "free" space .. even with compression that's cutting it close .. especially if your source contains lots of mp3s, zip archives or other files (such as vdo) which don't compress much (they're *already* compressed).

The back up drive is 250 gigs. It's used exclusively or back up. Once an initial backup has been done, it's down to 125 gigs free. But before this problem arose, that wasn't a problem. Backups were happening even if the drive was nearly full, and if it was really too full, I got a warning message.
Quote:
we need one of the gurus here to take a look/see.

How do we get them here?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 4:35pm

Rick Archer,

There are a few questions I need to ask.

The first HD has two partitions. A 5 GB recovery partition and a roughly 230 GB C: drive. Is that correct?

The C: drive contains 125 GB of used space with about 105 GB of free space. Are you creating compressed recovery points of the C: drive? If so, how much compression is being used? How large is a full recovery point?

The second HD contains about 125 GB of used space. What do you have here?

I understand Ghost 12 used to work. But now if you delete all data from the second HD you can't create a recovery point?

IP Logged

Rick Archer
Dude

Fairfield, Iowa

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 8:36pm

Problem solved, I think. In my last post, I said:
Quote:
Since I last posted, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Ghost 12 and started a new back up. The new one got to 80% rather quickly, but is now taking about 1/2 hour to complete each additional percentage point. I'm going to go out soon and will close all other programs and see if that makes a difference. 

When I came back from a 2 hour walk, the backup had completed successfully. It seems that completely uninstalling and reinstalling Ghost did the trick. Just running the repair function that comes with the installation program hadn't solved it. I've got it set to run at 7am each morning. I'll make sure no other apps are open, which seemed to speed it up, and will report back if there are problems. But it looks like it might be solved. I really appreciate everyone's help and support.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print