Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help needed with creating bootable CD in Ghost v12 (Read 10515 times)
dt_aiying
N00b

Malaysia

Help needed with creating bootable CD in Ghost v12
May 24th, 2007 at 3:39am

Hello experts,

I'm new in recovering systems, creating system images and in using Ghost software. I just got myself a trial version of Norton Ghost v12 and I need to use it to create a bootable CD for the following situation:-

There is an IBM notebook (A) in which its hard disk was totally reformatted and so, I need to copy a recovery partition from another identical IBM notebook (B) that is working perfectly fine. This recovery partition image will be copied from B into A so that A can work properly with all its device drivers correctly installed.

I only know how to backup the IBM recovery partition in B, but how do I make this into a bootable CD with Ghost v12 (I read something abt -ghostoncd and -bootcd switches, I'm not sure how to use those things)? Is this creating of bootable CD even possible with the trial version? Can I use Tools -> Copy Recovery Point to create a bootable CD?

I would really appreciate any form of help here.. My situation here is really urgent..  Cry

Thanks very much in advance!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Help needed with creating bootable CD in Ghost
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2007 at 3:57am

dt_aiying,

I'm pretty sure the partition copying function is disabled in the trial version of Ghost 12.

The Ghost 12 CD is the Recovery Environment. You can't add backup images (recovery points) to the CD. You could make an image of the Recovery Partition on laptop B and restore this image to laptop A. However it may no longer work as a recovery partition without extra work. At least this applies to Dells. I don't know if this applies to IBMs.

Do you mean a recovery or a diagnostic partition? Diagnostic partitions on Dells are easy.

You haven't really told us why you need to do this. Why was the HD formatted?

IP Logged

dt_aiying
N00b

Malaysia

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2007 at 4:11am

Hi Brian,

Sorry if my message was unclear.. I'm talking about doing a recovery partition..

The hard disk in A got reformatted because I figured something went wrong with the entire hard disk (an encryption software was previously encrypting the hard disk, but later, the OS could not be loaded most of the time). Recovering the system didn't make any difference, so I made a full reformat of the hard disk (I feel like I'm regretting doing a full reformat of the hard disk - should have left the recovery partition alone)..

Quote:
The Ghost 12 CD is the Recovery Environment. You can't add backup images (recovery points) to the CD. You could make an image of the Recovery Partition on laptop B and restore this image to laptop A. However it may no longer work as a recovery partition without extra work. At least this applies to Dells. I don't know if this applies to IBMs.

I'm not sure if I understand you.. Could you explain / elaborate further? Right now, I'm doing Tools -> Copy Recovery Point in Ghost v12. Will this be created as a bootable CD?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2007 at 5:16am

dt_aiying wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 4:11am:
Right now, I'm doing Tools -> Copy Recovery Point in Ghost v12. Will this be created as a bootable CD?

That's just for copying your recovery point to another partition or a DVD. It's just a file copy.

I doubt you can create a functional Recovery partition on computer A. Have you considered creating a recovery point of the C: drive of laptop B and restoring this recovery point to laptop A. You will then probably need to do a repair install of WinXP on laptop A to make the OS boot.

Are you sure there are no partitions on laptop A?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:05am

dt_aiying

Quote:
(I read something abt -ghostoncd and -bootcd switches, I'm not sure how to use those things)?

You're mixing *apples* with *oranges*--the above switches are for the DOS based Ghost program--last retail version was Ghost 2003.  The corporate DOS version was through Ghost v8.3, then Symantec skipped v9.x, 10.x--these version numbers were given to the retail *drive image* based Windows versions of Ghost (Symantec stuck in here the version named *Save & Restore* without a version #)--and now the latest Ghost v12.x is the next version of the Ghost 9, 10, and *Save & Restore* line of retail products.

Ghost 11.x is the next DOS version of the corporate Ghost sequence after v8.x!--are you getting the sense that Symantec has really screwed up the whole concept of sequential naming of the Ghost version #'s?  Obviously, Symantec marketing department has determined that the *Ghost* name is important in name recognition and sales--but the public has little awareness of the totally unrelated functionality of the various Ghost versions--past and present!

Quote:
Is this creating of bootable CD even possible with the trial version?

The *drive image* versions of Ghost (which includes Ghost 12) use a bootable CD emergency *Recover Disk* to boot a version of the Windows PE (Pre-installation Environment)--Ghost 9, 10, Save & Restore, and 12 can only run under a Windows OS--not DOS!  Did the trial version download include the iso file for burning the *Recovery Disk*?  If not, then you will not be able to boot your system to the Ghost *Recovery Environment* from the *Recovery Disk*--you might be able to restore a partition image to the laptop A if you use networking--you would have to have Ghost 12 installed on laptop A, and booted to Windows--and then pull the image in from a network share--or it could be on an external USB HDD.

As Brian has mentioned, the recovery partition may require special handling beyond just a simple restore placing the partition back onto the HDD--there can be *special* partitioning coding that goes into the Master Boot Record and/or the Master Partition Table--where the partition is placed may be critical--it might have to be at the beginning of the HDD--there may be a special *partition type* code that's needed in the partition table--or, perhaps the systems BIOS handles everything for you as long as the partition exists--these are details that are system specific--and we probably don't know the answers.

Here's references about the recovery and utility partitions for a Dell system:

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition*

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell Utility Partition*

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2007 at 5:29pm

NightOwl wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 9:05am:
Did the trial version download include the iso file for burning the *Recovery Disk*?

I'd forgotten that it doesn't.

IP Logged

dt_aiying
N00b

Malaysia

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2007 at 1:48am

Quote:
dt_aiying wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 4:11am:
Right now, I'm doing Tools -> Copy Recovery Point in Ghost v12. Will this be created as a bootable CD?

That's just for copying your recovery point to another partition or a DVD. It's just a file copy.

I doubt you can create a functional Recovery partition on computer A. Have you considered creating a recovery point of the C: drive of laptop B and restoring this recovery point to laptop A. You will then probably need to do a repair install of WinXP on laptop A to make the OS boot.

Are you sure there are no partitions on laptop A?

Oh no, so this means that the Copy Recovery Point (to CDs) is not creating a bootable CD, but merely as a backup copy?
What should I do next?

On A, there aren't anymore recovery partition (because like I've said, I did a complete re-format of the entire hard disk  Sad ).
And yes, I'm also planning of doing a bootable CD of the recovery partition's image in B to copy it into A.

IP Logged

dt_aiying
N00b

Malaysia

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2007 at 2:12am

Quote:
Did the trial version download include the iso file for burning the *Recovery Disk*?  If not, then you will not be able to boot your system to the Ghost *Recovery Environment* from the *Recovery Disk*--you might be able to restore a partition image to the laptop A if you use networking--you would have to have Ghost 12 installed on laptop A, and booted to Windows--and then pull the image in from a network share--or it could be on an external USB HDD.

Thanks, NightOwl, for the lengthy explanation..

I'm not sure if Ghost v12 trial version includes the iso file for burning the recovery disk or not.. Looks like it doesn't come together with the trial version (like what Brian has said in his last post here).. Sigh.. Only the following actions are available for me to execute in Ghost v12 trial version:-
  • Manage backup destination
  • Copy Recovery Point
  • Manage backup destination
  • Run Recovery Point browser

Meanwhile, the Copy Virtual Disk and Copy My Hard Drive functions require license and not within the trial edition.

Next, I don't think I can work on this with a network environment too (the device drivers in A are not installed and so I can't get it connected to any network for now as well).

So, what can I do now to solve the problem here? Should I get another Ghost version?
Please advice. Would really appreciate your help a lot.

Thanks!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2007 at 10:01am

dt_aiying

Quote:
Manage backup destination

Copy Recovery Point

Manage backup destination

Run Recovery Point browser

I see nothing there that suggests that you can *restore* an image--so the trial version appears to be very limited in terms of testing its functionality except to make backup images (recovery points).

There are several imaging programs out there besides Ghost by Symantec--the real question is can you recover the functionality of the recovery partition using an image of laptop B?  I don't know the answer to that--only trying would answer that question!

Is Laptop B *identical* to Laptop A?  If yes, I would consider experimenting with this general outline--image laptop A's only partition with the OS--it is the only partition now, correct?--and I'm assuming you want to preserve the functionality of your laptop A's OS?--to an external HDD.  Image the *whole* disk of the laptop B--making sure it includes the complete Master Boot Record sector--and I'm assuming it has the two partitions--the OS and the recovery partition--save that image to an external HDD.

Wipe the HDD on laptop A, making sure the Master Boot Record is *zeroed out*--this is in preparation to restore the Master Boot Record saved in the *whole* disk image of B--sometimes imaging software will not replace the Master Boot Record sector if one already exists--at least not without using explicit commands to over-write an existing Master Boot Record.

Restore the image of *whole* disk of laptop B to the HDD in laptop A making sure the restore includes replacing the Master Boot Record.  This gets the recovery partition from laptop B back onto laptop A' HDD--hopefully in a functional state because it includes any necessary Master Boot Record code that controls the functionality of that recovery partition.

Now, restore the laptop A partition image over the laptop B's OS partition that is now on the laptop A's HDD to make that partition once again the laptop A OS partition.  Now, there is the potential for drive letter assignment and boot partition issues because your image of laptop A is a single partition, and the image of B is a two partition HDD--so you may have to adjust the *boot.ini* so it knows which physical partition has the OS on it for booting--and you may have to force WinXP to reassign drive letter assignments because the registry of A is not currently aware of the a two-partition HDD.

Now, all the above is doable with DOS Ghost 2003, or Ghost 9, 10, 12--along with some helpful other *tools*--I haven't given specific steps--just an outline--but you will have to have a fully functional imaging program--not a limited *trial* version.

And, you have to be in a position to recover in the case of total disaster--i.e. you need your important data backed up if it's critical to you--so in case you loose everything doing one or more of the above procedures--you are able to continue--having additional HDD's to experiment with while removing the original HDD for safe keeping can make this experimenting *easy* in terms of not worrying about loss of data!

After all that--how do you intend to test if the recovery partition is functional?!  Usually that restores an image of the original factory fresh installed software--you will then have over-written you laptops A OS partition--is that the final end point of where you want to go with this?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

dt_aiying
N00b

Malaysia

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2007 at 10:39pm

Hello NightOwl,

Thanks again, and sorry for the rather late reply..

Some additional info:
- Notebook A and B are the same / identical models.

Quote:
After all that--how do you intend to test if the recovery partition is functional?!  Usually that restores an image of the original factory fresh installed software--you will then have over-written you laptops A OS partition--is that the final end point of where you want to go with this?

- Yes, that's the final point I want it to be.

Some additional questions:

- I was actually first told to create a bootable CD (because it's takes lesser time than to work with an external hard disk, and the request to get the notebook A up and running is an urgent one).. Just curious - out of your experience with Ghost software, can a bootable CD be created with a recovery partition (this means without using an external HDD)? If not, I'll just proceed with your proposed solution..

Quote:
Wipe the HDD on laptop A, making sure the Master Boot Record is *zeroed out*--this is in preparation to restore the Master Boot Record saved in the *whole* disk image of B--sometimes imaging software will not replace the Master Boot Record sector if one already exists--at least not without using explicit commands to over-write an existing Master Boot Record.

- I wonder, how can I make sure that the MBR is zeroed out, like what you've mentioned here? Forgive me of my lack of experience in this..  Sad

Will certainly get a fully licensed Ghost software soon too..

Thanks VERY MUCH once again!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 1:45am

dt_aiying

Quote:
I was actually first told to create a bootable CD (because it's takes lesser time than to work with an external hard disk,

Working with optical media can be fine if your burner is compatible with Ghost--I've used both CD's and DVD's--but optical media is the slowest Ghost procedure--but, if you have problems with using an external USB HDD in DOS--that can cause headaches too.

Quote:
I wonder, how can I make sure that the MBR is zeroed out, like what you've mentioned here?

There are a number of different programs out there that could be used--have to be able to boot to DOS using a floppy disk or using a bootable optical disc.

If you happen to have Ghost 2003, you will also have Ghost's partitioning tool called *gdisk*--it has the ability to wipe a disk, including the Master Boot Record.

This freeware DOS tool can also wipe the Master Boot Record:  MBRWizard - The MBR utility you've been looking for!.  

Be careful with these type of programs--make sure you understand what you are doing--and that you are ready to do the deed--because there is little chance of going back once you commit to the wiping!

IP Logged

dt_aiying
N00b

Malaysia

Re: Help needed with creating bootable CD in Ghost v12
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 11:15pm

Hi NightOwl,

Sorry for the late reply. Was browsing through Ghost Suite 2.0 and checking out some similar functions there..Thanks again for your help and explanations here, appreciate them very much..

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 1:34pm

seeing that it is IBM computer here is some useful information:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&st=23&start=23
there is a floppy there with IBM boot manager on it .
I remember I changed F11 function key to F10 function key on that Floppy.
also the recovery partition has to be called IBM_SERVICE or the boot manager will not work
read it as it is along time ago I did that and have forgotten most of it.
I hope the links still work.
If I was you I first check to see if that recovery  partition is still in place as if it was hidden partition
the Dos format command does not effect hidden partitions(I remember it did not effect the old Packard Bell computers )
if so that floppy boot manager can sort it.
I also noted that you got further complication that you are dealing with 2 Laptops.
you need to remove the HDD and stick it in a usb Case they sell them these days
for 3.5 " and 2.5" IDE or Serial then you can plug it into the other laptop

Regards Ben
Wink

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 2:16pm

To change the size of an existing partition on hard disk
here is a free software called QtPartED.
available free as a bootable CD from:

http://www.sysresccd.org

to use it down load the CD ISO image, burn it to a CD-R
boot from the cd at the prompt just type:

run_qtparted

and press enter on the keyboard.
enter mouse number (PS/2 is 3)
and you get a partition Magic in GUI (graphical user interface) in linux.
it is exactley like partition magic in DOS;and supports all file systems
including NTFS,FAT,FAT32,EXT3.
this tool is also available on KNOPPIX the Live Linux Boot CD
use the Menu (system tools)
Regards Ben

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print