Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
trying ghost 12 again-is it working? (Read 11988 times)
Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

trying ghost 12 again-is it working?
Jun 26th, 2007 at 5:18am

I decided to try ghost 12 again buying a physical copy (2 actually) instead of downloading. When trying the backup from the backup wizard (clicking the backup now box then finish on the last screen) the following error message appears. The event log also shows this warning. When right clicking the ghost tray icon and then run backup now it did a successful backup. I can live with this though I would prefer not to have those error messages.

error_messages.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: trying ghost 12 again-is it working?
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:18pm

Some updates. I was on the phone with symantec tech support for two hours. They switched me to higher level tech support who gave me a web site that had two norton removal tools. I ran them as well as deleting a registry key that he told me to do. I uninstalled and then reinstalled ghost 12. It's still doing this. I have a support number and they said to call back if it's still doing this. I noticed that cancelling the drive backup wizard and trying to run the backup nothing shows in the backup list. Exiting ghost 12 and restarting now the job shows in the list and a successful backup can be done. So basically the program works as long as the backup is not done at the end of the drive backup wizard. I can't figure what's causing this as I could do a backup with ghost 10 from the drive backup wizard.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:07am

I ran the Norton Removal Tool prior to installing Ghost 12.

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:58pm

Another update. I uninstalled ghost 12 again and used the norton removal tool. Then I used jv16 tools' registry finder in safe mode. It found 131 instances of symantec, 190 of norton, and 45 of ghost. I deleted them all, rebooted and reinstalled ghost 12. I saw on the web that eventmonitors.dll is a symantec file. I checked the registry and this file was mentioned in system32 and common\symantec. I checked both locations in explorer and the file was in both. I ran drive backup wizard and the error message still appeared. The backup job list was blank but after pressing F5 the job appeared. So the job is being created and a successful backup can be run, it just can't be run from backup wizard. Apparently ghost 12 can't see eventmonitors.dll even though it's where it's supposed to be. It's frustrating to be this close to the answer and still not get it.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 8:08pm

Larrycleve wrote on Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:58pm:
Another update. I uninstalled ghost 12 again and used the norton removal tool. Then I used jv16 tools' registry finder in safe mode. It found 131 instances of symantec, 190 of norton, and 45 of ghost. I deleted them all, rebooted and reinstalled ghost 12.

After running the Norton Removal Tool, I usually use the Windows search function.  I search for all folders with "Symantec" or "Norton" in their names, and DELETE them.  Be sure you are searching system and hidden folders also.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 6:45pm

Got it solved!  Grin I compared the versions of the two eventmonitors.dll files and they were different. The common\symantec file was version 12 1.61mg. The system32 file was version 3 788kb. I deleted the version 3 file, copied the version 12 file, rebooted and it worked. I wonder why of all the thousands of installations of ghost 12 this was done automatically, but I had to do it manually? I had all programs including virus protection turned off while doing the installation.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 8:52am

Larrycleve

Quote:
Got it solved!

Good job--nice detective work!

What a weird issue--even using the removal tool and reinstalling several times--why would the version of the *.dll* file be incorrect?!  Is that older version of the *.dll* from your Ghost 10 installation?  Usually, the install program of a newer version over-writes the older version of the same name--or at least asks if it's *okay*.

I know in some software programs, you are given the option to *never overwrite* existing files--but, I don't know it Windows has a global setting like that!?

Thanks for reporting back with your results!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 9:16am

Good job, Larrycleve!

Rad, I recommend that this discovery be added into your new Norton Ghost 12 guide.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 3:57pm

Larrycleve wrote on Jun 29th, 2007 at 6:45pm:
Got it solved! I compared the versions of the two eventmonitors.dll files and they were different. The common\symantec file was version 12 1.61mg. The system32 file was version 3 788kb. I deleted the version 3 file, copied the version 12 file, rebooted and it worked. I wonder why of all the thousands of installations of ghost 12 this was done automatically, but I had to do it manually? I had all programs including virus protection turned off while doing the installation.

Are you sure you are supposed to have two copies on your pc?  I have Ghost 10 (not 12), but I have only 1 eventmonitors.dll file on my pc.  It's in c:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Shared.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 4:43pm

John. wrote on Jul 1st, 2007 at 3:57pm:
Are you sure you are supposed to have two copies on your pc? 

John, same here. My Ghost 12 has only one EventMonitors.dll. In C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 8:54pm

Brian and Ghost4me

What version of the *.dll* file are yours??

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 9:31pm

NightOwl wrote on Jul 1st, 2007 at 8:54pm:
Brian and Ghost4me
What version of the *.dll* file are yours??

10.0.3.20387    930kb

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 11:03pm

1658 kb.

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 5:02am

I'm thinking maybe I could have just deleted that file from system32. But why did the registry point to that location and how did version 3 get there in the first place?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 8:33am

Larrycleve wrote on Jul 2nd, 2007 at 5:02am:
I'm thinking maybe I could have just deleted that file from system32. But why did the registry point to that location and how did version 3 get there in the first place?

Probably from some previous install of some Symantec product.  How old is your pc?  Lots of programs installed or uninstalled over the years?  When was last time you did a clean-reformatted install of XP?  Did you ever upgrade from a previous operating system? 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print