Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Set destination to Active? (Read 7444 times)
jim5k
N00b

I Love Radified!

NJ

Set destination to Active?
Jul 3rd, 2007 at 4:43pm

Hi. I'm a Ghost 12 newbie (I haven't even loaded it yet), so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I want to make a copy of my HDD, but I'm unclear what setting the destination drive to "Active" does.  Will that somehow set my source drive to "Inactive"?

I want my source drive to remain the active drive, and I'm going to remove the copy and keep it as a spare. Is setting the drive to "Active" something you do when you create it, or when you install it?

(I know, there are better methods of backing up and restoring a HDD, but I feel better with a quick change in the drawer).

Thanks in advance. – jim

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Set destination to Active?
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 2:50am

jim5k,

Welcome. You have made a good choice with Ghost 12.

Quote:
I know, there are better methods of backing up and restoring a HDD, but I feel better with a quick change in the drawer

Could I try and talk you out of that approach? It's what newcomers to imaging software want to do but it's not a good idea. Please read Reply #7 in this link for the reasons.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11329...

If you still want to go ahead the settings are the same as Ghost 9 and 10.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 9:43am

I agree with Brian (as usual).

The ultimate would be to create an *image* (file, called a Recovery Point) on a second hard drive.)

You could still have a spare hard drive in the drawer, just in case your system drive dies.

IP Logged

jim5k
N00b

I Love Radified!

NJ

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 3:54pm

Yes you can talk me out of my approach, and I think you just did. Thanks for the link – it was very helpful. I'm the obsessive, compulsive type, and this little detail has been gnawing at me since I got Ghost last week.

Besides, this way I can make several, nay, dozens, possibly even hundreds of restore points. Yes, I thoroughly expect to obsess over the backups too; it's tough being me sometimes. Now I have to start looking for a larger second or external HDD. Back to BensBargains.net.

Actually, I bought the Internet Security / Ghost 12 / Partition Magic bundle on sale at Frys.com, and Ghost was secondary. But after reading about it on the Internet, I don't know why I never got it before – Ghost sounds like marvelous software.

Much obliged! - jim

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:29pm

Jim, here are a few guides to help out.

Quote:
Creating Recovery Points: Weeky Baselines, daily Incrementals

Start Ghost  12
Click Tasks icon
click Run or Manage Backups
click Define New
dot in Backup my computer, Next
select the drive to backup (usually the OS drive), Next
dot in Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression (I choose High but it's your choice)
Tick Verify recovery point after creation
Choose your Limit. I don't tick this item. I manually delete the recovery points after 3 to 4 weeks, ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Ignore the Command Files window, Next
Tick Schedule and tick all days except the day of your planned Baseline Recovery Point. Choose your time
click the drop down arrow and choose Weekly 
click Custom , tick the day of your planned Baseline Recovery Point, select a time , OK, Next   
Finish

Quote:
This is how I'd restore a backup image (Recovery point) from the Ghost 12 CD recovery environment. The RE loads in two minutes. Twice as fast as Ghost 9/10.

Shutdown computer (don't do a restart). Press the power button to start computer.
boot to the Ghost 12 CD
choose your Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
Next
in the "View by" (drop down arrow) choose Filename 
click Browse
double click Computer
navigate to the folder containing your Recovery points
select the relevant Recovery point (Baseline or incremental)
click Open
Next
Select the relevant partition
Next
put ticks in Verify, Check for file system errors, Set drive active, Restore Original Disk Signature
Only tick Restore MBR if restoring to a different HD
Next
put tick in Reboot when finished
Finish

Check your computer time when back in Windows. Sometimes it's out by an hour.

I think the recovery environments for Ghost 12, NSR 2 and SBESR are basically the same and the above procedure applies.

IP Logged

jim5k
N00b

I Love Radified!

NJ

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 6:46pm

Thanks again – I’ll keep this information handy.

It also occurred to me that I could use my spare HDD as a restore test whenever I want to upgrade to a larger drive, since that one is bigger than my active drive.  At which point I can throw the older, smaller one in the drawer as an emergency backup (hopefully never to be used again).

- jim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print