Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
still can't get ghost 12 to work on other computer (Read 4085 times)
Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

still can't get ghost 12 to work on other computer
Jul 1st, 2007 at 2:03pm

Ghost 12 still freezes on the other computer when backup starts. I think the hard drive actually shuts down. Normally the hard drive makes noise and the lights flash when the backup starts. Various messages also appear including enumerating the stack whatever that means. Now the hard drive gets and stays quiet and the only message is creating recovery point. Not just ghost 12 but winxp itself freezes so hard the only way to get out of it is by pressing the power button. This happens using a usb drive, firewire drive, and to another partition on the hard drive. All programs are shut down and a virus scan didn't find anything. I think ghost 12 is having a problem with another program but since everything is shut down I don't know where to look. No error messages appear in the log. Of course ghost 10 worked fine with all programs running.  Undecided

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: still can't get ghost 12 to work on other computer
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 5:03am

I checked the event viewer at the times of the crash. It mentioned com+, vss, and dtc as well as vprotray.exe. All the services are on automatic and running. Vprotray.exe is the ghost tray icon. I don't know what to do with this info.

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 5:57am

Here's some screenshots of the error messages from event viewer.

ghost_12_error_message.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

fqo63
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 10:05pm

I too have been searching for a reliable way to backup and restore a hard drive.
So far, like you, I have been disappointed with the results.

Recently, I purchased Acronis Migrate Easy. This is a HDD cloning software. With a USB external HDD housing, I have cloned my HDD.

I installed the cloned HDD and, BINGO, I'm right back in operation. The cloned drive works just like the original.

Now, when I want to back up my HDD, I just reclone it onto the external one which can be installed in case of a crash.

Hope this helps...  Tad

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 10:53am

Just found a product that works fabulously, Farstone's Drive Clone 3 Pro. It does what ghost 12 does without a few of the bells and whistles. It costs only $25. I installed it on the problem computer and it made a backup first time straight through. This obviously shows the problem was with ghost 12 and not my computer. I wondered why I could be the only one with this problem. Now I think there had to be others who just returned the product and didn't post about it. Keep an eye out for a patch. Knowing Symantec though, they'll probably issue ghost 13 and charge for it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print