Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CD/DVD based backups with N12 (Read 3225 times)
msteudel
Ex Member

CD/DVD based backups with N12
Jul 10th, 2007 at 2:57pm

Hi it's been a while since I've used ghost and my last experience was with the more dos based versions that could be sent to a cd/dvd. I was wondering is it still possible with 12 or does 12 only support usb drivers.

TIA, Mark

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: CD/DVD based backups with N12
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 3:05pm

Quote:
Hi it's been a while since I've used ghost and my last experience was with the more dos based versions that could be sent to a cd/dvd. I was wondering is it still possible with 12 or does 12 only support usb drivers.TIA, Mark

Ghost 9, 10, 12, and Save & Restore all support writing directly to cd and dvd.

However, the burning software including with the various Ghost versions often doesn't work depending upon brand of burner, what other burning software you have installed, etc etc etc.  So, bottom line, it is much more reliable (and this is what many do) to create backup images to an external usb2 hard drive, using an option to break them into dvd sized chunks.  Then use Nero or other burning software to burn each file to a separate dvd, if desired, for offsite storage.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

msteudel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 3:56pm

If I just have a laptop with no USB external drive, and the burn directly to cd doesn't am I SOL till I get a USB drive?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 5:11pm

Quote:
If I just have a laptop with no USB external drive, and the burn directly to cd doesn't am I SOL till I get a USB drive?

No.  You just need to test it and see if it works with your configuration.  I've seen several pc's myself where it worked fine, and Ghost program burned directly to dvd.

I think one of the reasons the usb2 hard drives have become popular is that the prices of them have come way down, and they are fast and portable.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print