Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copying HDD? (Read 17220 times)
anythingbutaone
Ex Member

Copying HDD?
Jul 12th, 2007 at 8:32am

Hi everyone

I've recently bought myself a larger HDD and thought i would save myself some time and bother reinstalling an OS on this HDD by using Ghost to copy HDD's.  I have been usingGhost for about a month but never had to use the restore option.

After copying the drive, i put my new drive into my system, it boots (hooray i hear you cry) it asks for my password:)   then tells me is closing Windows Sad

This takes me back to the logon screen and i don't seem to be getting any further.  what am i doing wrong.

Is there some special copy rule i need to make so i can use my new HDD?

Please help

Anythingbutone

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Copying HDD?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 3:21pm

anythingbutaone,

It sounds like a drive letter issue.

Could you tell us how you copied with Ghost? Did you restore an image to the new HD? Did you use Copy My Hard Drive? Did you partition the new HD prior to using Ghost? Which Ghost?

Laptop or desktop? Did you use an external HD enclosure?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 3:56pm

I think you did use the Copy My Hard Drive function.

You can fix the drive letter issue by using Method #3.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

If you don't have a floppy drive, download this file

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.iso

Quote:
Download the .ISO and burn it (as an image, not as data) to a CD.
Boot to the CD. You will see "Press any key to rewrite MBR". Press a key and you will be instructed to "Press ENTER to reboot" so remove the CD and press ENTER. Your computer should boot to WinXP.

Success?

IP Logged

anythingbutaone
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:14am

Hi Brian

sorry, i should have put more details in the query

This was a new internal preformatted HDD for a Desktop.  The current version of Ghost i am using is Ghost 12.   and i used the Copy my Hard drive feature in the tools option.

That said i read your solution, downloaded a copy of a win98 bootdisk (i don't have a windows 98 machine).  Booted from the disk,  ran "fdisk /mbr" rebooted again and hey presto, my desktop with my new HDD  Cheesy

now i'm a happy chappy

Thankyou
Anythingbutaone

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:24am

anythingbutaone,

That's excellent news.

Your problem was copying into a partition. Although the userguide isn't specific, you must copy into Unallocated Space.

This web page describes most of the common errors with cloning. It applies to Ghosts 9, 10 and 12.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

IP Logged

TadO
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 2:05pm

Gentlemen,
Will these solutions work when the HDD is copied but when it boots up it doesn't show the user names? I copied to a larger drive and it said it was successful but when I fired it up it never gave me the user names. I've got Ghost 10, Win XP Pro. and the destination drive was mounted and ready to go as Drive F: (I've got a CD drive and DVD drive installed).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 3:04pm

Quote:
when the HDD is copied but when it boots up it doesn't show the user names? I copied to a larger drive and it said it was successful but when I fired it up it never gave me the user names.

TadO,

By user names, do you mean the Welcome Screen with the user names? Did you copy into a  partition?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

IP Logged

TadO
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 4:54pm

Yes, I  meant the welcome screen with the user names, only in my case there were no user names displayed. The destination drive was formatted and connected as a slave drive. It had a drive letter assigned to it by windows. It only had one partition as far as I can tell.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 5:00pm

TadO,

That's what happens if you copy into a partition. The explanation is in that link I posted. You should be able to fix your new HD by using Method #3.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

If you don't have a floppy drive, download

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.iso

This contains fxdisk

Download the .ISO and burn it (as an image, not as data) to a CD.
Boot to the CD. You will see "Press any key to rewrite MBR". Press a key and you will be instructed to "Press ENTER to reboot" so remove the CD and press ENTER. Your computer should boot to WinXP.

Let us know of your progress.

IP Logged

TadO
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 10:49am

I had good and bad results. I was able to download a basic Win98 Boot diskette, but when I used fdisk, it choked on the NTFS file structure, so that didn't work. In fact it did something so I couldn't read the  drive so I couldn't use the CD file that was suggested either. I booted from the Utilities CD that came with the drive and formatted the HDD. When I rebooted, the system didn't assign a letter to it because it was shown to be an unassigned partition. so far so good. I then ran Ghost 10 and was able to make a bootable image on the new HDD. The minor problem was that it was the same partition size as the original. The remaining space was made into another logical partition. I then saw where I could set it to use all the space. I went into the Disk Management section of XP and deleted the partition. I ran Ghost again checking to box to use the whole drive and it made a copy using all the scapce. But when I booted off the copy I'd get a disc read error usually after the Norton GoBack sequence. After fighting back and forth. I let it copy the same size. I'll see if I can use a Partition program to get all the disc space under one partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 2:53pm

TadO,

Two words are often associated with major problems. "Norton GoBack".

Here's a recent example but a search of the forum will reveal others.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1179603215#7

IP Logged

Afraid of Ghosts
N00b

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 1:11am

Pardon my ignorance, but this is my first series of attempts to copy my C:\ drive to an external hard drive for backup purposes. The instructions in the manual for Ghost 10 don't really explain how to do this; they refer to replacing an old drive with a new one.
When I have tried, more than once, to schedule Ghost 10 to copy to the blank drive overnight, it doesn't work and I don't know why not. The Symantec website is worse than useless; it's an exercise is circular logic. I am hoping that somewhere on your site you have simplified instruction for doing what I want to do-which is mirroring my system, then being able to perform incremental updates.
I have a HP Pentium 4 2.93 GHz system running WIN XP SP2 with a 200 GB hard drive and 2 GB of RAM. The C:\ drive, which is what I want to back up, is 89% free; and the SimpleTech ext drive is 160 GB, so space is not an issue.
I simply cannot understand how to follow these instructions and get the blasted thing to work! If it matters, Ghost 10 also came with the disk for Ghost 2003, as well as Save & Restore (which doesn't have a version #- but the print date on the manual is 3/06 whereas the date for Ghost 10 is 9/05).
Can someone please help me, in plain English, to understand how to use this program to backup my entire system on a regular basis?
I'm not a tech, but I'm moderately comfortable with managing my system. I've been computing for 14 years and this is my 4th PC; but my last one kept crashing on me and I wound up losing data even though I did regular backups to alternating zip disks (don't get me started on that topic...).
I am thanking you in advance for any help you can provide.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 2:27am

Afraid of Ghosts wrote on Aug 12th, 2007 at 1:11am:
"... Can someone please help me..."

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1180834151/0#0

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 3:01am

Afraid of Ghosts,

This will get you started. Let's do a simple recovery point first and move onto incrementals if the basic approach is easy.

Your C: drive contains about 20 GB of used space so the image should take around 20 minutes to create.

Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup. ie your C: drive. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image. ie your external HD. Next
Compression Standard. Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ...
Ignore Advanced. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish

Let us know what happened.

IP Logged

Afraid of Ghosts
N00b

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 2:28pm

Thank you, Brian, for your instructions. But I am still slightly confused. I was told by Simple Tech to use the 'Copy My Hard Drive' function in Ghost if I wanted to do a complete copy of my hard drive rather than a data BU. Your instructions seem to differ from theirs; so before I spend any more time, I want to be certain I understand correctly.
Also, I just began encountering runtime errors yesterday. So I have to figure out what's going on with them before I copy something that's not working properly... Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print