Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Convert to Virtual Disk in Ghost 12 (Read 47152 times)
mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Convert to Virtual Disk in Ghost 12
Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:03pm

Pleonasm,

Looks like the only way is to install Backup Exec in the VM. There are two limitations at work here. First, there is no way to run a backup from the Recovery Environment. Second, Backup Exec needs to see that it was installed in the image for the Restore Anyware feature to work. When I first got the product, I tried to test the Restore Anyware feature using a previously created Ghost 12 image. The option was not present. I had to create a new image with Backup Exec and that unlocked the Restore Anyware feature.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 11:38pm

mustang wrote on Jul 20th, 2007 at 4:12pm:
Start the VM.
First boot will run sysprep mini-setup.

Mustang, just after starting VM, on the second page I think, there was "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". Am I thick?

Pleonasm, your memory is better than mine.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 12:35am

"Dan, have you actually tested the procedure of restoring a Norton Ghost 12 recovery point onto a VMware virtual machine?"

Well, actually no.  (As you may recall, I don't use Ghost 9-12.)  However, I have done restores from images of real partitions to existing virtual disks (both VMware and VPC) with Ghost 2003, Drive Image 2002, BootIt-NG, Savepart, and even Ghost 9 (which I tried just to prove it would work).  IIRC, I've seen others on the vmware and vpc newsgroups who have also restored images using Ghost 9, Ghost 10, and True Image.  Everything is pretty straightforward and uneventful--it all works like it's designed to.

I would expect Ghost 12 to work just as easily, and haven't heard any evidence to the contrary.  From inside the virtual machine, everything is pretty plain-jane, so I can't imagine anything that would give Ghost 12 trouble.  It would be kind of ironic if Ghost 12 is somehow less functional than all the older stuff, wouldn't it?

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 5:40am

Brian,

I don't know exactly what you did, but it sounds like a MBR issue. Try booting the VM with a Win98 startup disk and use fdisk /mbr.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 6:43am

Mustang,

I tried fdisk /mbr but received the same error as above after ctrl/alt/del.

It may be due to the way I imaged. I'm multi-booting with two WinXPs. I imaged the second WinXP from the first while the second was a hidden partition. This is OK if you want to restore the image but may not be OK for a Virtual Disk. I'll redo the whole project on one of the kids' computers that have a single OS.

Any progress with making a BartPE plugin for BESR?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 4:07pm

Mustang,

I dreamt about the MBR last night and awoke with the answer. The "partition" is not active. So I set it active with a BootMagic floppy and then WinXP loaded. Thanks for your help and inspiration.

I withdraw my criticism of Ghost 12 not being able to create a functional Virtual Disk. The problem was wetware.

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 5:57pm

Brian,

Good to hear you got it working.

As for a BartPE plugin for BESR, I doubt you'll ever see one that can create backups. This is a great program, but Symantec's refusal to allow backups from the recovery environment is a serious limitation. This is one area where Acronis has the edge. On the other hand, basing the recovery environment on WinPE 2.0 and providing a built in means of adding Windows drivers blows Acronis out of the water.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 1:58am

mustang wrote on Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:03pm:
I had to create a new image with Backup Exec and that unlocked the Restore Anyware feature.

Mustang,

I haven't yet tried Restore Anyware. Were you happy with the way it worked? Any problems?

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 4:58am

Brian,

I only tested Restore Anyware once when I first got BESR. That was a long time ago as I pre-ordered the program and had it when it first shipped. As I recall, it worked fine but I don't remember the details.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print