Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Instructions for Restoring Vista with Ghost 2003? (Read 22219 times)
ghostusr
Dude

Update on Vista Ghost 2003 Restore
Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 10:03am

Just thought I'd post an update here.  Although most things in Vista Ultimate worked well after the Ghost 2003 restore, I had to do a factory recovery restore from my Toshiba CD.

I discovered that although Vista booted okay after restoring the Ghost drive image and repairing it per my previous post, I couldn't run the Memory Diagnostics included in Vista.  It reboots the PC to run the diagnostics outside of Vista.  Well, it gave me an error that it couldn't find the file listed in the path beginning with \boot\..., so it wouldn't run.  If anyone knows of a fix for this specific problem, I'm all ears.

Even though I ran the three BCD commands, it just didn't fix that problem.  So I figured if that didn't work properly, what else wasn't right with Vista?  I also noticed it was taking much longer to boot up and shutdown, although that could've been due to some of the NIS 2007 settings I tweaked.  In the end, I did a factory restore and reloaded/reconfig'ed all my apps and Vista, and all is well.

I also performed a Windows Complete PC Backup and tested the restore.  It worked very well and was painless.  It compressed the files heavily onto only two 4.7GB DVDs, which is impressive for what took up ~30GB of hard drive space.  It also only took about 50 minutes, much faster than Ghost 2003 writing to my external USB 2.0 HD with the -Z9 heavy compression switch.

Granted, the Complete PC Backup feature is only available in Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise, which leaves out the Home users.  But if all one needs is a simple drive image backup and restore utility, it really seems to work well.  Like most MS-included utilities, though, you don't get any bells or whistles, like Ghost's great ability to extract individual files from an image via Ghost Explorer.

I've been a die-hard Ghost user and supporter for many, many years.  I might eventually purchase the latest Ghost version made to support Vista after it's been out awhile and patched.  But for now I'll probably just stick with Vista's built-in image backup for restoring the OS and apps, and just make separate backups of the data files.

Hope this proves useful for anyone encountering similar issues.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Update on Vista Ghost 2003 Restore
Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 12:12pm

ghostusr wrote on Sep 14th, 2007 at 10:03am:
I've been a die-hard Ghost user and supporter for many, many years.  I might eventually purchase the latest Ghost version made to support Vista after it's been out awhile and patched.  

Wait no more.  It's been patched.  I have Ghost 12 with Vista and ran LiveUpdate a couple days ago for Ghost 12 and it was updated/patched.

Ghost 12 Service Pack
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1187802080

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print