Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Files created in backup by Ghost 9 (Read 5584 times)
dajudge
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Files created in backup by Ghost 9
Aug 11th, 2007 at 12:39pm

I made a backup image of my C: Drive using Norton Ghost 9.0, and no compression.  I placed it on an external hard drive.  The folder shows the following files: C Drive.v2i with 4,194,176 KBs; C Drive s01.v2i with 4,194,176 KBs; C Drive s02.v2i with 698,240 KBs; and YOUR-XB2X7j77GN.sv2i with 2 KBs.   Can someone please tell me what the various files are and which one or ones I should use if I have to restore the backup image?  Thank you.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Files created in backup by Ghost 9
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 12:54pm

Your external hard drive is evidently formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.  FAT32 has a restriction of maximum of 4gb file size (NTFS doesn't), so Ghost 9 breaks the backup into 4gb chunks.  The .v2i is the first chunk.  The s01.v2i is the 2nd chunk, s02.v2i is the 3rd chunk.  The sv2i file is just an index and can be ignored.

If you want to restore you would select the first .v2i main file.

You can test restore a file or folder by running the Ghost 9 explorer program, or just double clicking on the main backup file; then select a test file and restore it to a temp folder on your pc.

You should also run a small file test restore by booting from the Ghost 9 emergency restore CD and make sure it works in your configuration.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

dajudge
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Files created in backup by Ghost 9
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 12:27pm

Ghost4me:  Thank you for your response.  It fully answered all of my questions.  I really appreciate your help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print