Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 - imaging laptops (Read 3390 times)
dgarner58
Ex Member

Ghost 12 - imaging laptops
Aug 15th, 2007 at 10:03am

I am looking to use norton ghost 12 to create master laptop images for my laptop pool at work. obviously, i would create a different image for every laptop model we use (we use HP business laptops) but i am a ghost noobie. all of the new laptops we purchase are being shipped with windows vista, and we are not deploying vista to the workplace populace as of yet, so we are having to reload each machine individually with XP pro. this is VERY time consuming and we would like to do one, then image it with all default properties (i.e. not joined to the domain, only the administrator profile etc.) and then use that image to re-image all of the subsequent vista laptops of that model. so my questions are these really...

1. i want to keep my images on an external hard disk is this okay? would i be able to restore reliably from this type of media?

2. when i create my image is just a restore point type backup sufficient for creating the image or do i need to clone the drive?

3. when restoring to a new laptop that has vista on it, would it first be necessary to boot the to the xp disk and wipe out the existing hard disk partition or should i format it and then boot to the symantec bootable disk?

4. do any of these questions make sense lol?

thanks for any help any of you all can offer.

IP Logged

Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Re: Ghost 12 - imaging laptops
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 8:11pm

Hello:

First, I apologize that my answers are not specifically geared to Ghost 12, however, the basic principles should be very similar, and this information should help you.  First, let me offer sympathy for your plight!  I've been working mostly on Dell desktops and laptops, and I am getting VERY tired of setting up XP from scratch on them, although i'm getting really good at it by now!  I use ghost whenever I can, but usually I always end up getting computers to work on that are models I haven't ghosted before, so I can't readily use the images I have.

I'll also mention because it may be applicable how helpful having ghost backups can be.  On the two new Dell laptops I just ghosted, an Inspiron 1501 and a Vostro 1000, the built in resore partition isn't a lot of help as far as i'm concerned, because there were a ton of problems with the shipped images, like outdated drivers and tons of missing windows updates and programs I needed to install.  Having to do all of that on each computer over and over is maddening.

If you're using XP Pro, you may want to look into getting system prep (sys prep) from Microsoft's website to set up each computer for the specific group or person using the image.  Of course, carefully observe the licensing agreements (LOL).

When using Ghost 2003 anyway, the hidden diagnostic and restore partitions can cause problems when ghosting, but there are ways around that, like using a dos version of ghost and being *VERY* careful that you are telling ghost to use the right partitions and/or hard drives and to do the right operations.  Watch out for plugged in flash drives too, I messed up a flash drive once while attempting a ghost operation and selecting it by mistake.

On your questions, generally, ghosting to an external hard drive is a good choice and takes the least amount of time to run a task.  It's a lot easier and better than trying to use optical media, IMO.

I would think you would not want to do a restore point.  You would want to either image the C partition to be copied, or image the entire drive.  If you don't really have much on other partitions on the hard drive, it will be faster and better to just image the C partition,  again IMO.

Lastly, in theory, how ghost will work is it completely overwrites everything in the C partition.  An example: If you copy/take an image from a working XP laptop of it's C partition, let's say the working C partition is a total of 60GB and windows XP is using 10GB of the 60GB.  When you go to transfer the image to the new Vista laptop, let;s say C is only 40GB with 15GB being used for/by Vista.  When you run the ghost operation, ghost will write the 10GB XP partition to the new machine, and adjust everything for you so that even though the original image was taken from a 60GB partition, you will end up with 10GB of XP and about 30GB of free space, the partition will automatically be adjusted by ghost to fit onto the new 40GB partition.  The only way this would not work in theory is if you were trying to write more data than the space you have, like trying to write 45GB of used up image to a partition on a drive that's only 40GB.

When all done, Vista will be gone, and NO need to format the Vista machine before ghosting or anything else, in theory.   I like using dos ghost once you're used to it, instead of hot imaging with windows active.  I suspect there are others who would feel the same way.  I'm sure someone can tell you how to adjust this info for Ghost 10 or 12, if need be.  I would be careful not to lose any information you need until you're used to ghosting.  Before I would wipe out the Vista laptops, I always take copious screen shots of installed programs, device manager, control panel, start menus, etc. to look at later if i'm trying to re-do an operating system from scratch later...

Hope this helps some...

Lee B.

IP Logged

Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Re: Ghost 12 - imaging laptops
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 9:00pm

If you see the post on this forum, "Ghost 10 vs. DOS Ghost Questions" it explains that Ghost 10 and 12 are completely different than Ghost 2003/DOS Ghost.  So you'll have to decide what you want to do.  What I said above applies to Ghost 2003/DOS Ghost.

Lee B.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print