Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 vs. DOS Ghost Questions (Read 5055 times)
Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Ghost 10 vs. DOS Ghost Questions
Aug 16th, 2007 at 8:15pm

Hello All:

I was looking at the copy of Ghost 10 that we have at work today.  I noticed it says you have to activate it or it will stop working in 15 days like Norton Anti-Virus.

1) I assume this means it's only good for one computer then?

2) Does Ghost 10 create Ghost image files that could be restored using a dos version of Ghost, or is Ghost 10 completely different than dos versions of Ghost and not backwards compatible at all?

Thank You,

Lee B.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Re: Ghost 10 vs. DOS Ghost Questions
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:22pm

Lee B wrote on Aug 16th, 2007 at 8:15pm:
Does Ghost 10 create Ghost image files that could be restored using a dos version of Ghost, or is Ghost 10 completely different than dos versions of Ghost and not backwards compatible at all?

It's a completely separate product (originally called DriveImage), written by a separate company (PowerQuest) that has nothing to do with original Ghost.

When PowerQuest was purchased by Symantec, the PQ folks were able to arrange to get the Ghost brand taken away from the original product and put on theirs.

The original Ghost product does still exist though, sold as a corporate (5+ licenses minimum) product called Ghost Solution Suite but without the single-user backup-oriented GUI that was in Ghost 2003.

The file formats used by the two products are more than a little bit incompatible because the two products internally work completely different ways. Neither one understands the other's file formats at present.

And yes, DriveImage (aka "Norton Ghost") is licensed for one PC only. The consumer versions of classic Ghost were too, although it wasn't rigidly enforced by activation.

IP Logged

Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:58pm

Thank you!

This was exactly what I wanted to know.  I hate marketing.  Basically, they took the name well known by many folks, and slapped it on a completely different animal.

I know that the DOS version of Ghost was used by several different manufacturers, Dell included, to power their restore operations, you could see the ghost program on the screen when you ran their restore operations.

This was very helpful, it told me that i'm really not interested in the PQ version, since I finally perfected using the DOS version of ghost, i'm comfortable with it and it's doing exactly what I need it to do.

REGARDS,

Lee B.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 12:27am

Lee B wrote on Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:58pm:
I hate marketing.  Basically, they took the name well known by many folks, and slapped it on a completely different animal.

Don't blame the marketers for that one, it wasn't their fault. In fact the people who do the small amount of marketing for corporate Ghost are sharp and pretty nice folks.

Anyway, if 2003 ever stops working you have the option of the newer one - although there's a 5-license minimum the individual licenses are pretty cheap.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print