Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10:  Delayed Write Failed (Read 9670 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Ghost 10:  Delayed Write Failed
Aug 31st, 2007 at 5:33pm

Shortly after starting the creation of a Norton Ghost 10 recovery point of the NTFS operating system partition that is written to a second, internal hard disk drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, Ultra ATA/100, 7200 RPM, 120GB, model ST3120022A), I receive a Windows XP pop-up message stating that "Delayed Write Failed."

These are the tests I have performed so far:
  • Neither "CHKDSK /R" nor the Seagate SeaTools Diagnostics report any errors on the ST3120022A disk.
  • Reducing the ST3120022A disk's transfer speed from the default UDMA-5 (100 MB/s) to UDMA-2 (33 MB/s) does not improve the situation.
  • Disabling the option "Enable write caching on the disk" for the ST3120022A disk does not improve the situation.
  • Reducing the performance slider in Ghost 10 from the default, 75% setting to 50% does not improve the situation.
  • "Memory Usage" is set to "Programs", as recommended in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 330174, and this does not improve the situation.
  • Increasing the value of the SystemPages registry key (see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 330174) to 0xFFFFFFFF does not improve the situation.
Except for Ghost 10, all other usage of the ST3120022A disk appears to be operating normally.

All recommendations are welcome.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10:  Delayed Write Failed
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 4:30pm

Pleonasm, I'll break the ice. I assume this is a HD that that has worked properly with Ghost 10 in the past. I don't know the answer but I'd try a different 80 conductor IDE cable.

Let me tell you my war story. About 2 years ago I bought an eSATA external HD. I didn't use it directly with Ghost but when copying .v2i files from my second HD to the eSATA HD I'd get "Delayed Write Failed" after transferring about 1 GB. Nothing helped. Six months later I bought a new computer and the eSATA HD now works perfectly. I assume it was hardware incompatibility.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 8:13pm

Thanks, Brian, for the note.  You are correct:  writing a Norton Ghost 10 recovery point onto the 120GB internal disk has always worked well in the past, but now is yielding the "Delayed Write Failed" error.

I have also determined that the problem is unrelated to Norton Ghost 10 proper.  I can reproduce the "Delayed Write Failed" simply by copying a large (e.g., 4GB) file onto the disk (although the error does not occur when copying typical, smaller size files).

I have never heard of an internal Ultra ATA/100 cable becoming defective.  Does this occur?  Wouldn't a cable problem prevent all access to the hard disk drive – and not just selectively impacting large files?  (I have not touched the cable for over a year, since installing the 120GB internal disk.)

I have also run a set of memory diagnostics (in the VCOM FixIt Utilities 7 suite), and the hardware passes all tests.

Appreciate the assistance . . . .

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 9:46pm

Pleonasm,

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=152

This is not your problem but IDE cables are mentioned. In the BING newsgroup one of the troubleshooting suggestions from Support is changing the cable. Worth a try?

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 11:10pm

One big factor with ribbon cables as opposed to twisted-pair is crosstalk, as well as reflections (the whole master/slave thing on IDE is as much about applying the correct terminating resistance so that you don't get signal reflection as it is about drive selection). That combines with the fact those conductors in the ribbon are pretty fragile, and internal partial breakages of the cable - so that you get a signal, but it's marginal - are not unknown.

The CRC checking on UltraDMA is pretty crucial, and this is one reason why faults can show up as being data-dependent; if the system is marginal the normal CRC checking applied to the transfer over this cable will mask it, but since the crosstalk between the conductors is affected by the data they are carrying, some particular content can push one of the bits of the message far enough off course to cause a repeatable CRC fault.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 12:46pm

Brian and Nbree, thank you for your contributions to this thread.

By way of update, I uncovered the root cause of the "Delayed Write Failed" error:  WinMagic's SecureDoc full disk encryption software.  Once this application was uninstalled, then the problem immediately disappeared.

I had been testing SecureDoc, but didn't suspect that it was the cause of the problem because the disk for which the error was reported was not encrypted.  Even in this circumstance, however, SecureDoc's disk encryption drivers apparently did not coexist well with the hard disk.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 10:01pm

Linkage, for those interested:

http://www.winmagic.com/solutions/securedoc.html

Pleo, I thought you were using a different encryption prgm .. altho I can't recall which one.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 7:41am

Rad, yes:  my primary encryption solution is SecretAgent – a file oriented encryption utility - but I was testing SecureDoc for its full disk encryption capabilities.  Although there is much that I liked about SecureDoc, the inability of the application to work together well with Norton Ghost 10 on my PC makes it unusable for me.  WinMagic does claim that SecureDoc is compatible with Norton Ghost 10, so perhaps others will have better luck than I in using these two tools together.

I did test Ghost 2003 in DOS with SecureDoc, and it appears to work okay.  It is necessary, though, to use the "-fni" and "-fns" switches.

I'm going to take a look, too, at SpyProof!, a companion product to SecretAgent, that provides a virtual encrypted disk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print