Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backup Vista C: triggers worm detection? (Read 12309 times)
sootsnoot
Dude

Backup Vista C: triggers worm detection?
Sep 24th, 2007 at 2:12pm

Background:
--------------

I have Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier (Ghost 10 & NAV) on XP Home SP2 system that shares out several folders where I make backups from other XP systems with Ghost 10 on them, on my LAN which is protected by a router.  All systems connected to it have always had up-to-date antivirus and firewall protection.  Knock wood, I've never had a virus infection, though I've had plenty detected in emails over the years.  Automated Ghost backups have been working great for a couple of years.

Just bought a brand new laptop (HP dv2500t) with Vista Home Premium.  Initial setup was very smooth, and I made its one-time factory restore disk on a single Dual-Layer DVD.  Very nice.  Then went through Windows Update and Live Update (for it's pre-installed Norton Internet Security), getting everything up-to-date.  After much puzzlement over Ghost 12.0 versus Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition (they sound like the same thing, with a couple of extra bells and whistles on the latter), I downloaded Ghost 12.0 from the Symantec web site.  First burned the recovery disk .iso to a CD and verified it would boot and could see the network.  The latter was something of a pain, as unlike the Ghost 10 recovery CD, the other machines on the network did not show up in its network browser.  I typed a network share manually, but did not have privilege to access it.  So I did the access as a different user, but found that it would not accept a user account without a password: you have to type at least one character in the password box to enable the OK button.  I was able to work around this by opening a command window and entering a net use command, and verified it could see the files on the share okay.  So I figured there was a good chance I'd be able to use Ghost 12.0 on the new Vista system as effectively as Ghost 10 on the various XP systems, and went ahead and installed Ghost 12.0, ran LiveUpdate, and tried doing both a "My Documents" backup and a full system backup (a My Computer Backup produced by the easy wizard thingy).

The My Documents backup reported success.  I haven't yet checked whether it's useful for recovering files, because the below problem with the full backup was much more important.

The Problem:
---------------
The full backup failed.  Watching Progress and Performance, it looked like it would get stuck after 5% or sometimes 6% for 5 minutes or so, then fail with "Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file. Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available."  I tried everything I could think of with network credentials, no luck.  Then I saw I was getting Delayed Write Failed's in the Windows event log.  So I jacked up Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages, which had fixed this problem on an XP system some time back. No luck.

Then I was looking at the screen during one of my failed attempts and noticed a popup saying Norton Internet Security had blocked an intrusion attempt.  Went through the logs and found a "Nebiwo Worm Propagation (1)" attack.  And the attack was coming from the brand new freshly-installed Vista machine itself!  I ran full NAV scans of both machines after a LiveUpdate and they were clean. Tried a few more backups, and verified that I got the attack popup only during a backup.  So I went into NIS on the Vista machine and excluded that particular attack from its list of signatures.  Tried again, and this time the server where I was writing the backup reported the same attack signature (via its SystemWorks 2006 Premier NAV protection)!  So I excluded that signature on the server.  But still no luck.  Now the Vista machine started reporting "MS ASN1 Integer Overflow TCP" attack.  So I excluded that one - next time it reported "Nebiwo Worm Propagation (2)", and so on through "Nebiwo Worm Propagation (3)" and "Deloder Worm Infection".  Finally, I disabled worm detection on both the Vista machine and on the XP server machine, and voila, the backup succeeded.  And re-running virus scans found nothing.  And after the backup finished I was able to mount it as a recovery point on the Vista machine (the XP machine won't mount it, says it has an invalid image size, because it's running Ghost 10, not 12).

Anybody got any ideas on this one, including the best way to report it to Symantec?  It seems particularly ironic that if you go to: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/attack_sigs/s20022.html the bottom of the page says:
 "Possible False Positives
  There are no known false positives associated with this signature."
No false positives except those produced by Ghost 12.0!

I sure don't want to run all the time with worm detection disabled.  But having to disable it in order to make a backup kind of defeats the utility of automatic scheduled backups...

I haven't seen this problem reported previously - but it seems unlikely that I'm the only one using Ghost 12.0 on Vista that also has Norton Internet Security and makes backups over the network - so I wonder what's different about my configuration to cause this...

-Rich

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Backup Vista C: triggers worm detection?
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 2:28pm

I had the almost identical problem at one office.  A small workgroup of 4 or 5 computers, and one contained a usb2 hard drive where other pc's would store, via the local network, their Ghost 9 or Ghost 10 images.  All pc's had Norton AntiVirus 2006 (at that time).

After literally weeks of debugging and changing backup locations and network debugging etc. I discovered that NAV 2006 was flagging the Ghost backup traffic as an "attack".  Sometimes the source pc would flag worm detection errors during the verify.  Seems I couldn't win!  I ended up disabling Worm Detection just as you did to get around it. 
(Symantec shouldn't flag its own products network activity as a worm!)

I still ended up occasionally with network errors and failed backups.  And whenever an error occurred, the Ghost catalogue or permissions got fouled up.

Solution:  purchased individual usb2 drive for each pc (less than $100 each) and directed the backup images to the local usb2 drive.

Haven't had a problem since.  Well worth $100 per pc insurance.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

sootsnoot
Dude

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 5:46pm

Thanks for the quick, but depressing,  reply, Ghost4me.

Yes, this is a small workgroup (whose name is not WORKGROUP) consisting of one desktop machine with the backup storage disks in external Firewire-800 enclosures (3 dual-disk enclosures, two with a pair of 300GB drives and one with a pair of 400 GB), and 2 to 4 laptops each with 160GB hard drives.

Although it's possible to buy more disks and enclosures and separately connect each laptop to its own external disk, it would cost more like $300 per laptop, and the end result would be much less convenient/flexible.   And the really galling thing is that this exact setup has been working flawlessly for a couple of years with Ghost 10 on XP SP2 (some Home and some Pro) machines.  The problem stems entirely from adding a Vista laptop client with Ghost 12.0.  The fact that disabling worm blocking on the Vista laptop caused the server with SystemWorks 2006 to report the same attack signature as the laptop did before I disabled it suggests to me that the problem is in Ghost 12.0, as years of backups from clients using Ghost 10 never encountered such a problem.

With both Vista and Ghost 12.0 so new, I'd hope that Symantec would look into this problem.  I'm trying their email support, with a sketch of this problem and a pointer to this posting for details.  Of course the email support form doesn't list Ghost as a product (!), so I've entered the bug against Norton Internet Security 2007.  I'll let you know what I get for a response.

-Rich

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 6:05pm

If your server-pc is the one with System Works Premiere 2006, I would uninstall that and replace it with NAV 2008 or NIS 2008 which are both out now.  I've seen discounts in the stores for the 2008 products now.

I never had any luck disabling the worm signatures in NAV when I was debugging.  Only disabling the entire worm protection fixed it.

You can try Symantec's free (for most products) online chat:
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/selectproduct_ts.jsp

IP Logged

sootsnoot
Dude

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 6:24pm

John. wrote on Sep 24th, 2007 at 6:05pm:
If your server-pc is the one with System Works Premiere 2006, I would uninstall that and replace it with NAV 2008 or NIS 2008 which are both out now.  I've seen discounts in the stores for the 2008 products now.

Yes, the server has SW 2006 Premier.  But note that it was the new Vista laptop (with NIS 2007) that first reported the intrusion attempt (against itself!).  It was when I excluded that first signature from NIS 2007 on the client, that the NAV from SW 2006 on the server reported it.  So if NIS 2008 is the answer, I'd need to install it on both the new laptop and on the server.  If it solves the problem without having to disable worm protection, it would be worth paying something for upgrades.  Athough I think Symantec *really* ought to fix it at the very least in NIS 2007 via LiveUpdate.  IMHO SW 2006 deserves a LiveUpdate, too, since the problem is a false positive triggered by a new Norton product, and Symantec claims there are no known false positives for these worm signatures.

-Rich

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 7:18pm

Quote:
IMHO SW 2006 deserves a LiveUpdate, too, since the problem is a false positive triggered by a new Norton product, and Symantec claims there are no known false positives for these worm signatures.

Good luck with that.  I'm skeptical that you are going to convince someone at the LiveUpdate support level to get your complaint/message to someone responsible for coding fixes for SW2006 (which is 2 years old) and get it released as a free LiveUpdate.  Much easier for Symantec to ask you to pay for NIS 2008 and "see" if that helps.

Even when Symantec has released LiveUpdates for Ghost, it seems impossible to find out what was fixed or what was added.  I guess "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".  Better to keep us customers in the dark.

I am interested in how you get it resolved.  It is the same problem I had with mixture of Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 and NAV 2006 (which has worm protection). 

It seemed that the "server" machine would detect the backup process as a worm.  And then the source machine would detect the verify process as a worm coming back.  At first I just disabled the worm detection on the "server" pc, but had to disable it on the others because verify option was enabled (as it should be).

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 10:32pm

Another option you can consider at some point is some other Internet Security software instead of Symantec's.  ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite is one and there are others.

IP Logged

sootsnoot
Dude

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 3:33pm

I did get a prompt response to my email technical support request - the automatic ack came immediately, but I actually heard from a real person within a few hours.

Unfortunately but not surprisingly, the response just explained what Intrusion Prevention is, that it uses a list of attack signatures, and gave the following advice to resolve the problem:
Quote:
In order to resolve this issue, I suggest that you disable this feature and
check for the issue:

-- At the top of the main window, click the Norton Internet Security tab.
-- Open the Settings bar.
-- Under Web Browsing, click Intrusion Prevention.
-- Click Configure.
-- In the Intrusion Prevention General Settings window, uncheck "Intrusion
Prevention Notification"
-- Click OK.

I promptly replied that this just disabled notification, that the backup traffic being incorrectly recognized as an attack would still be blocked, and my backup would still fail, so the problem was not resolved.

I'll post further progress when/if it happens.

-Rich

IP Logged

CNetS-Charles
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2007 at 10:06pm

I contacted Symantec on-line tech support today.  They told me to exclude the signatures for the Nebiwo worm in Internet Security on the Vista PC.  Reluctantly, I did that but it solved the problem.  Backup to XP server now works without disabling intrusion prevention on either machine.  Symantec assured me that other features in Internet Secuity, such as Auto Protect, would provide protection.

Also, if you use SimpleTech SimpleShare NAS for backup, make sure you have the latest level of firmware.  Ghost 12 backups failed until I upgraded firmware.

IP Logged

sootsnoot
Dude

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 1:49am

Glad that disabling just one worm signature (or was it all three of the Nebiwo variants?) worked for you, CNetS-Charles - but it wasn't enough for me.  After disabling all three of those signatures the backup still got recognized as an attack, and I disabled at least two more worm signatures it reported before I finally gave up.

Also, have you verified that you can recover your C drive using the Ghost 12.0 recovery CD?  As I reported elsewhere, with two different images that both passed integrity checking, the recovery CD gave the same behavior, of restoring the disk up past 99% complete, and then reporting a fatal "cannot read memory at address ...." error and dying.  I've reported this to Symantec, and they do seem to be mildly interested.

-Rich

IP Logged

CNetS-Charles
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:49pm

I disabled all three Nebiwo variants and it actually worked - - ONCE!  The first scheduled backup failed when Norton blocked what it perceived as an attack.  Norton reported that the Vista PC attempting to backup was attacking my NAS storage (backup destination) as the Deloder worm.  Ghost 12 then failed.  Oh well, I'll contact Symantec again.

Thanks for the heads up on the recovery.  I haven't tested that but will.  I'll post results of test and contact with Symantec.

IP Logged

sootsnoot
Dude

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 7:24pm

Good luck getting a sensible response from tech support.

I found they were somewhat responsive in terms of replying to emails, but the content of the emails I would describe as being composed by someone solely extracting keywords from the problem description, looking up those keywords in a database of known problems, and pasting in the first thing that came up, with a little polite "Thank you for contacting us" wrapper on top.  But showing no actual thought or understanding about the problem.

E.g. regarding the problem restoring a verified valid and mountable image using the restore CD, they asked for output from the System Information tool.  When I sent it, they replied that they found I had installed Acronis True Image, and that was probably causing the problem. Sort of overlooking the fact I had told them I installed Acronis AFTER I'd encountered the problem and failed to get a solution from them.  Not to mention that no matter what program might be installed on the hard drive, if I managed to make a good image of the disk, that couldn't/shouldn't possibly cause the restore program booted from the restore CD to crash with a memory access violation!!

Anyway, I did invest $50 to see if Acronis True Image 11.0 had problems with Vista.  Worked fine - both making full C: drive incremental backups over the network, and restoring the drive over the network using the bootable restore CD.  I'd gotten pretty comfortable with Ghost on XP, so at first the differences in the Acronis interface and terminology seemed like a negative.  But after playing with it a bit more, reading some of the help, and tweaking the backups to use locations with quotas defined, I think it's got better functionality than Ghost 12.0 - and it doesn't appear to have fatal bugs.  But not no bugs at all, I did encounter a null pointer dereference in some part of the user interface when I'd failed to explicitly select an item before clicking okay.  So I had an excuse to try their email technical support.  Not only got responses in a reasonable amount of time, the responses sounded like they'd been written by someone who actually read the problem description, had given some thought to the answer, and was interested in getting the problem fixed!

Also Acronis happened to have a buy-one-license-get-one-license-free special, so I'm going to move all four of my systems to True Image 11.0.  I tend to be fairly brand-loyal, and I tried to give Symantec a real chance to keep me using Ghost.  But I didn't have the energy to keep pushing on them just to acknowledge that there might be a serious bug and maybe they'd look at fixing it some day, let alone go without reliable backups until they actually got it fixed or provided a usable workaround.  I do wish you good luck in getting Ghost to work for you, I'll remember it fondly as a really cool one-of-a-kind program for home use in its youth.

-Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print