Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which version of ghost to buy? (Read 12617 times)
ntemples1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Which version of ghost to buy?
Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:01pm

Hi there,

I am new to hd backup ect and what I am looking to do is to create a recovery CD or DVD of my entire system after I have done a fresh install with all the progs and drivers installed that i normally use, so that when i want to reformat or something goes wrong i can pop the recovery disk in and revert back to how it was when i cloned it.

Which version of ghost would be best for this?

I currently am running a dual boot of Windows XP Pro, and Windows Vista Home Premium.

my system is:

E4400 Core 2 Duo
320 GB Sata II Hard disk
8800gtx
Samsung Sata DVD RW

Many thanks in advance. Shocked)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Which version of ghost to buy?
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:08pm

Ntemples1, there are many good choices among image backup utilities.  I recommend that you extend the horizon of your consideration set and look at ShadowProtect by StorageCraft, the company which created and licensed the core ‘snapshot’ driver used in Norton Ghost 9/10/12.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

ntemples1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:20pm

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:08pm:
Ntemples1, there are many good choices among image backup utilities.  I recommend that you extend the horizon of your consideration set and look at ShadowProtect by StorageCraft, the company which created and licensed the core ‘snapshot’ driver used in Norton Ghost 9/10/12.

HI Pleonasm, many thanks for your quick reply, I like the look of shadowprotect, have you used it? Will i be able to make a recovery disk image of my total system?

Regards, N

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:31pm

ntemples1 wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:01pm:
Hi there,

I am new to hd backup ect and what I am looking to do is to create a recovery CD or DVD of my entire system after I have done a fresh install with all the progs and drivers installed that i normally use, so that when i want to reformat or something goes wrong i can pop the recovery disk in and revert back to how it was when i cloned it.

I currently am running a dual boot of Windows XP Pro, and Windows Vista Home Premium.

my system is:

E4400 Core 2 Duo
320 GB Sata II Hard disk
8800gtx
Samsung Sata DVD RW

I would like you to look at Symantec Ghost System Suite 2.0 which contains the latest version of original Ghost. It is a bullet-proof and I have used it with no problems.

Rama

IP Logged

ntemples1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:53pm

Rama wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:31pm:
ntemples1 wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:01pm:
Hi there,

my system is:

E4400 Core 2 Duo
320 GB Sata II Hard disk
8800gtx
Samsung Sata DVD RW

I would like you to look at Symantec Ghost System Suite 2.0 which contains the latest version of original Ghost. It is a bullet-proof and I have used it with no problems.

Rama

Thanks Rama, Do you mean the Ghost Solution Suite? would I be able to use it with vista? also would it work with the Optical sata drive I have? many thanks, Neil

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 2:35pm

ntemples1,

Just a little background information. How much used space is in each of your OS partitions? Are you dual booting the Microsoft Way or are you using a third party boot manager? Do you have other partitions?

How many HDs are in your computer? Do you have an external HD?

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 4:13pm

ntemples1 wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:53pm:
Thanks Rama, Do you mean the Ghost Solution Suite? would I be able to use it with vista? also would it work with the Optical sata drive I have? many thanks, Neil

It works with W98 thru Vista. I am sure it would work with Optical Sata Drive. NBree, who is on this board and is a Symantec Ghost Developer would be able to confirm it.

Rama

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 5:27pm

Ntemples1, ShadowProtect is similar to Norton Ghost 12, but has a few advantages - see this thread.

Note that Symantec Ghost System Suite 2.0 isn’t able to create an image of the operating system partition while Windows is running.  To many, that is a disadvantage; to some, an advantage.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

ntemples1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 6:29pm

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 5:27pm:
Ntemples1, ShadowProtect is similar to Norton Ghost 12, but has a few advantages - see this thread.

Note that Symantec Ghost System Suite 2.0 isn’t able to create an image of the operating system partition while Windows is running.  To many, that is a disadvantage; to some, an advantage.

thanks Pleonasm I will have a read of that, looks like an interesting program

Brian wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 2:35pm:
ntemples1,

Just a little background information. How much used space is in each of your OS partitions? Are you dual booting the Microsoft Way or are you using a third party boot manager? Do you have other partitions?

How many HDs are in your computer? Do you have an external HD?

Hi Brian, I have 3 partitions, 2 of 100 Gigabyte and 1 of 120gig, yes i am using the windows dual boot system, I first installed XP on C then Installed Vista on E.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 6:37pm

ntemples1, I'm trying to estimate the number of DVDs that will be required.

How much used space is in each of your OS partitions?

Do you have an external HD?

IP Logged

ntemples1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 6:51pm

Brian wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 6:37pm:
ntemples1, I'm trying to estimate the number of DVDs that will be required.

How much used space is in each of your OS partitions?

Do you have an external HD?

Hi Brian what i want to do is reformat and then reinstall everything up to date IE programs and drivers ect. when everything is hunkey dorey i will then image the drive to creat a restore dvd just in case my drive goes tits up, it should be about 8 or 9 gigs. yes i do have a 320 gig external Sata drive as well

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 7:02pm

OK. I strongly recommend against DVD storage of your recovery points. It's slow and unreliable compared to HD storage. With WinXP and Vista you would need many DVDs and each disc adds to the unreliability. Most of us here image to a second HD or an external HD. You can keep your first recovery point and update it daily (if you like) with incremental recovery points. That way, if the HD fails (software or hardware) you can restore to "yesterday" rather than to a recovery point you created months ago.

To restore a recovery point you boot to the Ghost 12 CD, browse to your recovery point and click Finish. It's easy.

IP Logged

ntemples1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 7:15pm

Brian wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 7:02pm:
OK. I strongly recommend against DVD storage of your recovery points. It's slow and unreliable compared to HD storage. With WinXP and Vista you would need many DVDs and each disc adds to the unreliability. Most of us here image to a second HD or an external HD. You can keep your first recovery point and update it daily (if you like) with incremental recovery points. That way, if the HD fails (software or hardware) you can restore to "yesterday" rather than to a recovery point you created months ago.

To restore a recovery point you boot to the Ghost 12 CD, browse to your recovery point and click Finish. It's easy.

OK thanks Brian, but how would i be able to do this with the dual boot system? does it just back up individual hard drives?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 9:39pm

Neil,

It's easy. You would have two separate backups. Each stored on the external HD. One set of recovery points for Vista and the other for WinXP. If the Vista OS failed you just need to boot to the Ghost 12 CD and restore the Vista recovery point. Similar approach if WinXP fails. If the whole HD fails (hardware failure) then you would install a fresh new HD (blank HD), boot to the Ghost 12 CD and restore each OS latest recovery point. It really is that easy.

I suggest backing up your data partition with a data program. You can use Ghost 12 but I don't like its Files a Folders backup function. You can backup that data partition with Ghost 12 recovery points but it's not as efficient as a data backup.

IP Logged

ntemples1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 5:34am

Brian wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 9:39pm:
Neil,

It's easy. You would have two separate backups. Each stored on the external HD. One set of recovery points for Vista and the other for WinXP. If the Vista OS failed you just need to boot to the Ghost 12 CD and restore the Vista recovery point. Similar approach if WinXP fails. If the whole HD fails (hardware failure) then you would install a fresh new HD (blank HD), boot to the Ghost 12 CD and restore each OS latest recovery point. It really is that easy.

I suggest backing up your data partition with a data program. You can use Ghost 12 but I don't like its Files a Folders backup function. You can backup that data partition with Ghost 12 recovery points but it's not as efficient as a data backup.

Hi Brian, thanks for your help, in the end i went with Ghost 12, bought the download, and it looks good, I have backed up both partitions and i like the interface, thanks for your help.

Neil

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print