Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Disk Editor question (Read 1994 times)
bilsch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Norton Disk Editor question
Sep 24th, 2007 at 9:47pm

It looks like maybe you only discuss backup software here - but this is a RELATED task of a back up project I'm doing.
FIRST Q:  I have Norton Disk Edit from NSW 2.0 - it works fine with a Win9x system.  I have a utility called NTFS4DOS from Avira Software that gives NTFS capability from a Win9x DOS boot floppy.  I assumed I could boot that way and run this DiskEdit program and be able to access the NTFS volumes on this WinXP system.  The first step after you start DiskEditor is where it shows the list of logical volumes that you can select from. It shows A: (the floppy) in red letters which means that you can edit that one.  It shows the NTFS partitions in black letters and after each one of them it says 'ASSIGNED'.  I don't know what 'assigned' means but when I select one of them it doesn't get me anywhere. I can't view or edit these volumes that DiskEditor is calling 'assigned'.   Without the NTFS4DOS driver this DiskEdit program shows no logical volumes on the hard drive, so I think the NTFS4DOS has got me close enough but there's something more I need to do.  But I don't know what.  Any suggestions ?

SECOND Q:  If this isn't the correct forum for questions about disk editor programs can you tell me where is a good forum for that ?

TIA.  Bill S.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Re: Norton Disk Editor question
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 3:11am

The reason NDD does this is that any non-FAT drives under DOS are provided by a system that was originally developed for supporting mapped network drives (something that has existed in DOS for a very, very long time). Almost any plug-in filesystem other than the built-in DOS FAT one uses this "Network Redirector" internal plug-in API to create the drive.

One of the things NDD will be doing in order to do its job is dig around in DOS's internal filesystem tables to match up the DOS view of drive letters and filenames with the low-level view of disks and partitions and disk blocks (it will have its own FAT filesystem code built in too). Those tables don't exist at all for drives provided by network redirectors. This means none of NDD's advanced features can possibly work on files on such drives.

What might be a suitable alternative depends on what you want to actually achieve by using the editor. There are plenty of less sophisticated programs than NDD that can do simple hex editing on ordinary files in DOS if that's all you need.

IP Logged

bilsch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Norton Disk Editor question
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 6:18am

Yes I know there are other tools - DOS edit.com works fine once the NTFS4DOS is installed.
Thanks for your info.

Bill S.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print