HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vista's partition (Read 2983 times)
cplindem
Ex Member

Vista's partition
Sep 30th, 2007 at 1:15am

I have found the explanations and guides on general hard drive partitioning here to be most excellent, but I have a couple questions.

1. The 'recommended' partitioning sizes and organization propose a 25 or 30 GB partition for an OS.
http://partition.radified.com/partitioning_4.htm

I assumed this was for Windows XP (which requires 1.5 GB of hard disc space).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116059

Should a Vista partition be larger (because it recommends 30 GB for Vista plus 15 GB of free space)?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116202

Should it thus be atleast 55 GB just for Vista?

2. The other recommendation regarding the OS partition was to put all 'normal' programs/apps on it as well. Why is this? Why not put all programs/apps on a separate partition? Perhaps combining with the Games and multi-CD programs partition yet still keeping the OS on it's own separate partition?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Vista's partition
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 3:48pm

Vista takes up significantly more room than XP does.  XP uses around 1GB for its self, where Vista is several GB.  So, yes, you should make the partition much bigger.  50GB is probably a decent size.

I have installed games on a separate partition in the past and there were no ill-effects.  There were also no advantages, other than my main partition was small at the time and that helped it keep from filling up.  I would say you could put programs on the same partition, or separate it, based simply on your preference, but that's just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 6:39pm

cplindem

Quote:
2. The other recommendation regarding the OS partition was to put all 'normal' programs/apps on it as well. Why is this? Why not put all programs/apps on a separate partition? Perhaps combining with the Games and multi-CD programs partition yet still keeping the OS on it's own separate partition?

Well, first--many programs now install without letting you control where they are installed--they're just installed by default to the OS partition--so it's a frustration to try to keep them on a separate partition!

And second, for those programs you consider *important*--i.e. core programs you will want to always have available--putting them on the OS partition allows for faster loading because your HDD head does not have to seek as far as another partition further down the HDD--most folks put their OS on the first partition that is at the outer edge of the platter which has the fastest angular velocity!

Third, for ease of backing up, you don't have to think as much about what to backup verse leave out, or include from a second partition to make the backup complete.

I put less essential and rarely used programs on a separate *program* partition.  I put a separate *data* partition just after the OS partition to hold personal email, documents, photos, and other program's data so it is not over-written if/when I have to restore the OS partition that is misbehaving after a faulty install, or uninstall!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

cplindem
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 7:14pm

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

I'll go with atleast 50 GB for my OS partition. Not sure yet about putting other important programs on there with it.  If i was still in school, I'd put photoshop on there atleast. But i don't use it at home now very much. so perhaps just all programs in including games on the second partition.

This makes more sense to me than putting data second, becuase i'd rather run programs faster (and this way they'll be closer to the edge). This is logical, right?

But actually, i'm considering buying 2 HDs. One just for digital media/data. But under this logical, wouldn't it make sense to then put frequently used programs on the edge of the second drive, so they'll be accessed very quickly too (just like the OS on the first drive)?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print