Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LiveUpdate (Read 18043 times)
mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: LiveUpdate
Reply #15 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 7:06am

The uninstall/reinstall solution rubs me the wrong way too!

Does anyone know if this uses up a product activation?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:08am

mustang

Quote:
Does anyone know if this uses up a product activation?

That's an interesting question!

I was helping a friend whose motherboard died to replace it an hopefully get the system to work with his previous HDD without having to re-install everything.  Well, the motherboard replacement went well--and his Norton Security Suite updated the activation okay.  But LiveUpdate for that Symantec product (I think it was 2006 version), wasn't working correctly--and the error message from LiveUpdate was *if re-running LiveUpdate didn't solve the problem, then try to uninstall and re-install the Norton program*.

I made the mistake of restoring a Ghost image to a test HDD so we could *test* the uninstall--re-install process without effecting the original HDD--to see if there would be any problems.  Well, that triggered another *re-activation* event as far as LiveUpdate was concerned--and it locked us out of attempting to LiveUpdate as well as re-installing and successfully re-activating after the  uninstall.  The activation is kept track of on the Symantec Servers and not locally!

Apparently, it was okay to re-activate once--but the second time it was deemed an attempt to *pirate* the software--even though the physical system was the same, except the HDD was the *test HDD*--the only change!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ryanoc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:33am

Good News!  My patience (ok, my stubborness) paid off.
I ran liveupdated today and it worked!  I am now at version 12.0.2.23036
and I didn't have to uninstall and reinstall Ghost 12!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 10:24am

ryanoc wrote on Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:33am:
Good News!  My patience (ok, my stubborness) paid off.
I ran liveupdated today and it worked!  I am now at version 12.0.2.23036
and I didn't have to uninstall and reinstall Ghost 12!

Good.  Maybe Symantec fixed the update.  They never say, but glad it is working.

By the way, I never had to re-activate when I re-installed Ghost 12 to fix the update problem on my pc.  I assume my serial number key is stored in some hidden place in the registry; of course I have the number anyway if needed.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print