Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for advice (Read 3901 times)
Atomicfrog
Ex Member

Looking for advice
Nov 29th, 2007 at 7:24am

Afternoon folks,

I am a Network Technician in a large factory and I am looking for ways to improve our Imaging strategy. Currently, we create images of all of our production related computers twice a year and store them on a dedicated server. We are using Ghost v 8. The way we are doing it now is to set up a computer on a cart and take it from machine to machine making individual images and then transferring them with a crossover cable to a dedicated server. This can be very time consuming. Currently we have about one hundred computers that we image twice a year and that number is going to increase. Aside from the time consuming task of physically visiting each machine, the other problem is that the images are only done twice a year so any changes that are made between images are not included. The result is that when we restore an image, we have to go back and manually copy any files that were changed.

It makes more sense to have the developers make a new image whenever there is a change so that we always have a current image. To do that, we would need to ensure that they could easily create a new Ghost image across the network. What I am looking for are recommendations on how we might improve the way we do things and if it is worth upgrading to a newer version of Ghost.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Looking for advice
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 10:39am

Atomicfrog

Your question is regarding Ghost 8.x and/or newer versions of Corporate Ghost (which would be Ghost 11!)--Ghost 9, 10, and 12 are retail versions that will not apply to your situation--so I moved your post to this forum.

Quote:
We are using Ghost v 8.

Do you have the full Ghost v8.x software available--it has Ghost Server that should be capable of managing an entire network of computers, both pulling images from the clients on whatever schedule you choose, and pushing out images to the clients as needed.

You can find information about this here:  Ghost v8.xx Guides and Manuals

And additional resources:

Manuals

Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.0 Product Manuals

Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.1 Product Manuals

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Atomicfrog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:45am

Thanks for the response. I'll have to check and see if we have the full version, but I am guessing we do. Do you know if the method you described requires that you boot the client computer to a bootdisk? And does the Newest version of Corporate Ghost contain enough features to upgrade?

Again, thanks for the help. I'm researching this on my own but wanted to get feedback from others as well.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 12:06pm

Atomicfrog

Quote:
Do you know if the method you described requires that you boot the client computer to a bootdisk?

I don't have personal experience with corporate Ghost--but, I believe you can control a re-boot of the client system to a Ghosting *virtual partition* from the Ghost Server.

Quote:
And does the Newest version of Corporate Ghost contain enough features to upgrade?

I think the main reason to upgrade is Ghost 11.x is Vista compatible--if that's not an issue--probably Ghost 8.x is okay--but, I'm sure there's other improvements to the newer version.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 3:17pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 29th, 2007 at 12:06pm:
I don't have personal experience with corporate Ghost--but, I believe you can control a re-boot of the client system to a Ghosting *virtual partition* from the Ghost Server.

Correct; but then, that's already in the version they have. That capability existed since corporate 6.0 (originally through a dedicated partition, which we still support, and then through virtual partition in version 7).

Similarly, multicast image distribution is already a part of what they have, but not being used.

Quote:
I think the main reason to upgrade is Ghost 11.x is Vista compatible--if that's not an issue--probably Ghost 8.x is okay--but, I'm sure there's other improvements to the newer version.

Other notable features: User Migration. File preservation during cloning. Support for Sysprep. Support for 64-bit XP/Windows 2003 as well as Vista. Making bootable USB devices in the Boot Wizard. More support for Linux.

Plus, of course, lots of small improvements ("gravel", in our project parlance) that are individually small but make some things much easier. For instance, there's an option in Ghost32 under WinPE that can automount a newly-cloned filesystem on a specified drive letter so it's easy to script customizations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print