Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No return to Windows after Ghost 2003 cloning (Read 16162 times)
connogue
N00b

I Love Radified!

Dublin, Ireland

No return to Windows after Ghost 2003 cloning
Dec 1st, 2007 at 6:40am

I have a new Dell Optiplex 845 running XP PRO. Have tried using Ghost 2003 to clone the hard disk to a second internal hard disk. After starting in PC-DOS the system froze; I believe no files were transfered. On restarting option given to run in PC-DOS or Windows, neither worked.

Read other threads and changed system settings to allow boot from CD-ROM and placed Ghost CD in the CDROM drive. 5 choices provided. Stayed with first i.e. continue without loading any drivers.

After Oak Technology preamble following two lines arrived:
Device Name    :CD1
No drives found aborting installation

Then mouse driver was installed. Finally:
Device driver not found: CD1
Device driver not found: CD2
No valid CDROM device drivers selected.
Then the A:\> DOS prompt arrives

Can anyone advise what to try next, I had just finished setting the new machine up and would like to avoid doing this all again? Many thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: No return to Windows after Ghost 2003 cloning
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 9:03am

connogue

Quote:
Read other threads and changed system settings to allow boot from CD-ROM and placed Ghost CD in the CDROM drive. 5 choices provided. Stayed with first i.e. continue without loading any drivers.

Well, you at least need to allow for CD/DVD support if you want access to the data portion of the optical boot disc.

Quote:
After starting in PC-DOS the system froze; I believe no files were transfered. On restarting option given to run in PC-DOS or Windows, neither worked.

Sounds like you are trapped in Ghost's *virtual partition* which it creates if you are using the Windows interface to run Ghost.  Here are some resources to correct the problem:

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

If the *automated GhReboot* does not work, check this thread on how to use the Symantec Ghost DOS command line partitioning program, *gdisk*, as to how to manually change the active partition back to your original partition:

Ghost 2003 -operating system not found

Other partitioning tools (such as PartitionMagic, or this free tool MBRWizard - The MBR Management Utility that can change partitions from active to inactive, and can hide and unhide partitions--as well as delete partitions from the Master Partition Table--can also be used to manually reset the correct active OS partition for booting!

Quote:
I had just finished setting the new machine up and would like to avoid doing this all again?

If your system is not compatible with Ghost's use of the *virtual partition*, you can probably use the DOS *ghost.exe* from a boot floppy disk or optical disc which would avoid the *virtual partition*!

Are your HDD's SATA?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

connogue
N00b

I Love Radified!

Dublin, Ireland

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 10:00am

Many thanks. Yes the drives are SATA. And the mouse and keyboard are USB. Unfortunately the PC does not have a floppy drive and as I indicated the Ghost CDROM does not appear to want to install CDROM drivers. I have other machines so could try and prepare an XP boot disk but would like to know the other utilities I'm likely to need.

Thanks

IP Logged

connogue
N00b

I Love Radified!

Dublin, Ireland

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 10:12am

Some additional information. When trying to boot from Ghost 2003, my options are:
1. Continue with no drivers
2. Load USB 1.1 drivers
3. Load USB 2.0 drivers
4. Load Firewire drivers
5. Load ZIP/JAZ drivers

Trying any of these options ends with:
No drives found, aborting installation.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 11:24am

connogue

Quote:
placed Ghost CD in the CDROM drive. 5 choices provided. Stayed with first i.e. continue without loading any drivers.

and

Quote:
After Oak Technology preamble following two lines arrived:
Device Name    :CD1

If I choose to load *no drivers*, at least on my system--I do not get optical DOS drivers such as *oakcdrom.sys* loaded--so don't know exactly what's going on there!  I get optical drive drivers only if I choose one of the other driver options!

Quote:
Many thanks. Yes the drives are SATA. And the mouse and keyboard are USB. Unfortunately the PC does not have a floppy drive and as I indicated the Ghost CDROM does not appear to want to install CDROM drivers.

Is the optical drive SATA also?  If so, then you need a newer DOS driver for SATA optical drives:  GCDROM for DOS.

If you are familiar with optical discs, you can create a *iso* of the Ghost 2003 disc, and then using something like IsoMagic, IsoBuster, or UltraIso, you can extract, edit, and re-inject various files to the *iso*, and then re-burn the *iso* to disc.  You could delete *oakcdrom.sys*, and substitute *gcdrom*.  Would need to extract, edit [config.sys] and [autoexec.bat] to reflect needed command lines for the SATA driver, and re-inject those files--then re-burn to disc.

You may have to make a temporary change in the BIOS regarding SATA HDD access settings:  Re: Bootable cd without floppy.  Does your BIOS have a SATA setting for *compatibility* mode or *native* mode, or *emulate IDE* mode?

Does your Ghost 2003 installation disc have this program:  X:\Support\ghreboot.exe?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

connogue
N00b

I Love Radified!

Dublin, Ireland

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 8:45am

>Is the optical drive SATA also?  If so, then you need a newer DOS driver for SATA optical
>drives:  GCDROM for DOS.

I'm not sure will include this file on a bootable CDROM

>You may have to make a temporary change in the BIOS regarding SATA HDD access >settings:  Re: Bootable cd without floppy.  Does your BIOS have a SATA setting for >*compatibility* mode or *native* mode, or *emulate IDE* mode?

Only 2 options provided in BIOS - boot from HD or boot from CD-ROM

>Does your Ghost 2003 installation disc have this program:  X:\Support\ghreboot.exe?

Yes it does.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 9:53am

connogue

Quote:
Only 2 options provided in BIOS - boot from HD or boot from CD-ROM

Well, that sounds like the *Boot* tab of a BIOS--but the SATA settings are probably under a different tab such as *Advanced Chipset Settings* or *Peripheral Devices*, or some other tab--so double check that!

What is your make/model motherboard--is there a online resource for its user guide--often that guide has setup information on the BIOS and on SATA functions!

Quote:
Unfortunately the PC does not have a floppy drive and as I indicated the Ghost CDROM does not appear to want to install CDROM drivers. I have other machines so could try and prepare an XP boot disk but would like to know the other utilities I'm likely to need.

If you don't have floppy disk drive, then this Master Boot Record (MBR) tool can help--it will create a bootable optical disc:  MBRtool

Quote:
New: the MBRtool download now includes an easy to use boot diskette builder that will assist you in creating a diskette or bootable CD/DVD.

Initially, you want to simply *Display* the partitions on the boot drive--read the User Manual to get an idea of how to do that!

Always be careful with a MBR tool--a wrong edit can really screw things up!

Report back with those results.

IP Logged

dwilliamsamh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Philadelphia, PA

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 9:27am

With a  LOT of help from reading posts in this forum and Computing.net and as a way of saying thanks here's my two cents and an offer:

I JUST finished creating a Ghost (8.3) Boot Disk for use with a Dell Vostro 200, that has SATA Optical and hard drives.  The disk boots directly into Ghost.exe once you select the type of media you loaded from.  From that point, one can use ghost to either create an image written directly to the optical drive (either CDR or DVDR) or restore images from either CD or DVD.  I was ONLY able to do this after adding gcdrom.sys to the mix.  Oakcdrom.sys does not work with SATA optical drives.

I have no problems at all making this disk available to this board but I don't have an FTP site or a place to make say an ISO if the Disk available.  

If someone can give me a place to put the ISO, I would be happy to do so.  That is of course if it is legal to do so.  I could make a modified copy that doesn't actually contain the Ghost executable.  That way legal owners of ghost could extract the files, add the Ghost executable, and use something like Nero, or EZ-CD Creator to write a bootable CD/DVD.

I will take the lead of a moderator here regarding my offer to share my work on a Ghost Boot CD

Regardless of if I am able to provide an ISO of my disk, I can't emphasize enough how important getting gcdrom.sys is to making it possible to boot from an SATA Optical drive.

DWilliamsamh

dwilliamsamh dwilliamsamh  
IP Logged

Microsoft is not my favourite
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 6:29pm

I've run into some issues with SATA optical drives in the last while, specifically regarding getting the 'banana error' that indicates that mscdex. apparently can't find the CD/DVD rom drive.  I'm interested in the bootable cd-rom that you managed to get together (I've tried to put one together, and after several hours, finally gave up, only to be heartened by the news that you've managed to have a measure of success!

Could I trouble you for some information on it?

It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks lots.

Paul

IP Logged

dwilliamsamh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Philadelphia, PA

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 5:33am

I have sent you a PM.  Please reply so I can send you a link to the ISO.

Doug

IP Logged

dwilliamsamh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Philadelphia, PA

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 6:26am

I am not sure why ... but every time I try to send a PM it stays in my out box.  So e-mail me at USMAMULE@Hotmail.com and I will get you a link to the ISO.

I tried to reply once on the 22nd of Feb and once today.  I hope I can still be of some help.

Doug

IP Logged

Tim K
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 8:04pm

I am having the same problem that dwilliamsmh fixed. I understand you have to add the sata dos drivers but where and how do I rference them so that they will load during boot? If I can get that ISO I will be all set but would still like to know which file references the new driver and how it should be done.

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print