Send Topic Print
Popped Ghost Cherry (Read 11746 times)
goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Popped Ghost Cherry
Dec 4th, 2007 at 6:27am

Gentlemen Goodmorniing,

First the bad news....Partition Magic has *$&%^#@ up my computer 5 times...when it tries to partition my c:drive it comes up 983 to many errors and..."drum roll please" ... The good news is," 5 times I have been able to recover my computer form an image on my external  HD....so I am no longer a ghost (virgin)hahahahahaha..

Anyone have any tricks up their sleave on how I can get PM to work.....Is it my data that it is havin trouble with or the hard drive itself?

Hope someone can stear me in the right direction, All searches on the net seem to lead to no ultimate solution....

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Popped Ghost Cherry
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 8:28am

goober

Quote:
Is it my data that it is havin trouble with or the hard drive itself?

Sounds like a software/hardware compatibility issue.

PartitionMagic (PM) version you are using?

Using Windows interface for PM, or booted to DOS and using the DOS PM program?

HDD type--IDE or SATA?

Exact error #'s and/or message?

Quote:
....so I am no longer a ghost (virgin)hahahahahaha..

Who's cherry got popped   Cheesy ?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 5:43am

Night Owl,

WELL...since I have the "hardware" I'd say ghost got her cherry popped  Cheesy

PartitionMagic (PM) version you are using?

Norton PartitionMagic
Version 8.05   (Build 1371)  5/5/2004

Using Windows interface for PM - YES

HDD type--IDE or SATA? - 120 GB Ultra ATA/100 HD ( 7200RPM)

Exact error #'s and/or message? ERROR 983...To many error's

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:52am

goober

A Google search for partitionMagic ERROR 983, brings up this Symantec FAQ:  Error 983: "Too many errors found, process halted".

I'd give *CHKDSK* a try.

Note this statement:

Quote:
Symantec recommends that you run CHKDSK a second time if any errors or bad sectors are found on the disk. Continue running CHKDSK until all errors and bad sectors have been fixed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:55am

Everything seems to check out okay....Should I ask for my money back since it (partition magic) does not work on my drive.

They (norton) should have some kind of testing tool for a potential buyer of their PM software to see if it will be compatible before they sell  the program knowing that it may not work on certain drives, what do you think?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 9:26am

goober

Quote:
Should I ask for my money back

Your call on that!  I have never had a problem with PartitionMagic (PM) not working unless there was a HDD problem that prevented PM from accessing the HDD for some reason.

I think Symantec has a 30 or 60 day return policy.

I would try the DOS based PM as well before giving up!

IP Logged

goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:10pm

I would try the DOS based PM as well before giving up!  I made some bootable floppy disks of PM put them in and have no idea how to use the information contained?

BTW when I run a chkdsk...it flashes by so quick there is no way to see the results, any suggestions?

Oh another error that PM sez is that it can't execute the batch files...

Also, why would PM care about my files and batches and sectors... All it should be concerned about is making the #^$damed partitions and let me worry about that other S&*^. Afterall I bought it to make frigging PARTITIONS not to be a HD COP for Christssake.

IP Logged

goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 8:48am

NightOwl, hey buddy - thanks for tryin to help this noobster out....I requested my money back and they complied....I think I'm going to try Acronis.  Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 9:22am

goober

Quote:
I made some bootable floppy disks of PM put them in and have no idea how to use the information contained?

I've been out of town for a few days--so slow to respond--if you created a bootable floppy with the DOS version of PM on it, you should have been able to boot to DOS and load PM's DOS graphical user interface--looks similar the to Windows interface as far as graphing how the partitions are laid out on the various HDD's.

But, I see you have moved on to try other solutions--take care!

IP Logged

goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 5:15pm

No problemo Night Owl...

Looks like I got my work cut out for me as far as indulging my techno lust in a manner that results in eureeka moments...thank God for Ghost.

If you would be so kind Sir, weighing in on this subject here> *Image too Big ?*  would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
the goobalater  Kiss

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 7:19pm

Congrats. That first image restoration is indeed very satisfying.

Regarding PM, horror stories abound.

The main thing to remember about PM is that you want to make it easy as possible for it to do its job. Some ways are:

1. don't que up a bunch of tasks. rather perform ONE AT A TIME, rebooting after each (PM often reboots for you).

2. Off-load any files you can .. especially big ones.

3. delete any files you can.

4. defrag.

5. pray

6. talk pretty to PM. I've noticed it *really* likes when you whisper sweet-nuthins into its ear.

of course, it depends what you want to do. but a common task is shrinking one partition while enlarging an adjacent partition. then you are dealing with *two* partitions.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 11:51pm

goober wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:10pm:
BTW when I run a chkdsk...it flashes by so quick there is no way to see the results, any suggestions?

Then you haven't done chkdsk /r  if it's that fast.
It's possible you have significant HD problems and that's why PM fails to work. This needs addressing.

From a Command Prompt run chkdsk /r. It will ask you to reboot. For your large HD, it will take a long time to run. The progress log will be in Winlogon.

IP Logged

goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 10:02am

Hello
Rad
ministrator,

Thank you for catering to the less fortunate of us (I should speak for myself) who haven’t been blessed with a techno savvy library of meaningful thoughts.

Your well laid out articles of advice are extremely beneficial as well as inspiring...Okay that's enough wisperin of  sweet-nuthins in your ear, LOL...

I should make a donation  Wink

Brain,

It was chkdsk /f ...that goes by rather quickly...and it is reporting *0 bad sectors*

I have run chkdsk /r...and it does take along time to complete. I'll look for the results in Winlogon.

Thanks for the help and advise one and all !!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 11:55am

glad to help (adding to my digital karma).

my "techno-savvy" comes from countless mistakes, made by not having the good sense not to try foolish things.

i heard Edison blew up a few laboratories before he invented the lightbulb.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 10:37am

To cut to the chase.....

NO program that deals with the hard drive, that's worth it's salt, will ever perform on a HD with errors on it.  PM8 won't, Ghost won't, yada, yada, yada!

So before you go off half cocked, so to speak, "Clean Up Yor Mess!"
Delete every piece of garbage off of your hard drive, before you do anything else with it.
That makes chkdsk or any drive maintenance program run much faster.

Most drive manufacturers have Drive Diagnostic software that you can download and run on your HD to ferret out problems.  Seagate's "Sea Tools" is a good example.

Then there's aways the industry Standard, "Spinrite 6".  It can diagnose and even repair a drive with bad spots on it.

Personally, as a tech, I'm very glad that PM8 is intelligent enough to NOT try to repartition a HD with errors on it.  The result of doing that could be disastrous!
It will also error out on a weird or non-standard format.
Likewise Ghost.....I don't want to backup errors.
When Ghost, for example, errors out on me, I first run Chkdsk /f on that drive, then Sea Tools if necessary and finally "Spinrite 6" for diagnostics and repair.
If after all that the drive still is having problems I check into an RMA. (Drive Replacement)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print