Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 and DOS (Read 26448 times)
TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 and DOS
Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 12:57pm

I love these OLD threads, resurrected!
I found this quote:

Quote:
You've been around a long time then  Smiley

I once worked on a small mainframe computer for the 'County' that had an internal hard drive.  It was getting badly fragmented because the programmers never removed any of their test routines and never cleaned up the drive.  System performance was seriously suffering.
I spent days, removing useless programs and batch files (CAT Jobs) and then I backed up the drive to a removable disk pack, reformatted the internal drive and restored the backup copy.  The result was, of course, a drive in perfect order with NO fragmentation.  System performance Soared as a result. 

Around the same time, early 90's, Central Point Software came out with a program called "Compress". It was the first on-the-fly hard disk defragmenter that I ever used on a PC. 
It was safe, fast and worked like a charm.

Later, when "Defrag" came out from MS, it mysteriously looked and acted exactly like "Compress".  Central Point Software had disappeared!
I always wondered if MS bought them out.

It's fun, sometimes, to reminisce.
When you're my age, that's about all that's left. Wink Grin Grin Grin

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 6:32pm

"Central Point Software had disappeared!  I always wondered if MS bought them out."

IIRC, Central Point was one of the scores of small companies swallowed and discarded by Symantec as they bulldozed their way to the top.

I also was quite fond of "Compress", as well as many of their other "PC Tools" utilities.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 11:07pm

Correct in that Central Point was acquired by Symantec, but "swallowed" and "discarded" is rather a stretch since any company Symantec acquires is one that wants to be acquired by it. Central Point had serious problems by the time they were acquired, which will have been what drove the merger; still plenty of revenue but shrinking market share to Norton Utilities - to say nothing of having licensed their most important IP to Microsoft for inclusion in MS-DOS.

By the time of the acquisition they were basically doomed as as independent company unless they pulled a rabbit out of the hat or went through a massive downsizing (which may work for industrial firms, but not many tech companies survive that since it's almost impossible to hang on to the best staff during something like that, and without the best developers it's game over).

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #18 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 8:58am

WELL, regardless, of whether they were "Swallowed", "Discarded", "merged" or just bought out, the loss of Central Point Software and their most excellent "PC Tools" utilities package, it was a dark day for us tech's that had come to rely on them.  I shudder to think of the computers that I "SAVED" using the PC Tools.  It boggles the mind!

I was so happy to see "Defrag" and "Backup", show up in MSDos.  They looked so much like the apps from PC Tools. 
That's some of the best software to ever come out of Microsoft, in my own humble opinion.

One member said something about an on-going battle with Symantec over support for their programs.
My take on that is that everything you may need is available "Elsewhere" and there is never any need to communicate with Symantec at all.
(sorry Nigel)

In the 28 years that I've been a PC tech, I've never contacted Symantec, not even once.  And, I've used several programs that they 'absorbed' from other companies.  The best help, I've found, is from other users.  Still is!

Thank you RAD, for a great place to compare notes with other users.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow
Cool

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 6:29am

"swallowed" and "discarded" is rather a stretch...

Hmm, okay...  semantics, I guess.  I must have missed the updates, 'cuz it sure seemed discarded to me when I eventually switched to Norton Speedisk.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 3:25pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Jul 7th, 2008 at 6:29am:
semantics

Well, yeah, since semantics is the study of meaning.

[ I know Americans sometimes use the word "semantics" oddly, to mean something unimportant or a trivial distinction, but I have to say I find that practice somewhat baffling since it's really the exact opposite of the way it's defined. I presume this linguistic inversion has arisen in a reaction to the amount of turgid, irrelevant waffle in literary academic semiotics - "post-modernism" at its worst - but it's strange to a technologist since semantics in formal logic (as employed in computer sciences) is deep, precise, and of considerable daily practical importance. ]

The simple fact is that the primary implication - that Symantec acts in a predatory manner, acquiring healthy companies with the intent of shutting them down - is not how Symantec or indeed pretty much the vast majority of consolidation in any industry works.

Management or owners of companies in strife often seek acquisition as the best way to do two things: first, realize the current value of their paper investment in the business and take that as cash before it becomes worthless and secondly to provide the best way of providing their employees with an environment which will maintain their jobs, instead of continuing in a way that will leave nothing for anyone. The people I know who found and grow businesses really do care about their employees (the exceptions being so well-known and notable precisely because they are rare). Symantec, for its part, in general tries pretty hard to keep the best people from acquisitions, because that's where a lot of the value in a technology company really lies.

Treating "Symantec" as the bad guy is at least somewhat understandable since folks develop a sentimental attachment to products or brands, and because business is full of time lags, so that when things do fail or get closed down it's perceived by outsiders as happening due to the current owner. However, the truth is usually different to what people on the outside believe, and the seeds of a business or a brand or a product failing (or succeeding!) are usually sown years in advance.

[ Reader of business books should, I hope, be familiar with the perceptual problems of time lags via the examples of unstable system dynamics and feedback in this book, just as most engineers are familiar with them via the study of oscillators and feedback-and-control systems. ]

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print