Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unable to back up partition using NS&R 1 (or 11) (Read 19840 times)
Zig
Dude

I still don't trust Symantec!!

Burlingame, California

Unable to back up partition using NS&R 1 (or 11)
Jan 12th, 2008 at 6:49pm

Cry I seem to be unable to back up the G:\ partition on my hard drive to another drive.I can back up the C:\  (system), D:\ and F:\ drives, but not G. I previously had 4 kB of bad sectors, but I believe I have eliminated them by cutting them out with PartitionMagic, then combining to remaining "good" drives.  Running CHKDSK reveals no bad sectors on the G  partition, even if run with the /R switch.

What happens is that the backup seems to work, but stalls at 5% while "calculating remaining time" or some such.  I then cannot get it to cancel the backup without restarting the computer.  I haven't seen any threads similar to this listed in this form until now, and wonder if this is a unique problem.

I'm a complete newbie at using NS&Ror Ghost, as I haven't had any data loss problems to this point; I hope it stays that way, but I figure I better have some working knowledge of these programs, as well as an automated backup plan before disaster strikes.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Bill Zigrang

Still trying to figure this all out

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Unable to back up partition using NS&R 1 (or 11)
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Zig,

Are you using a One time backup (manual backup) or is it a Backup job?

What kind of files are in your G: drive?

IP Logged

Zig
Dude

Burlingame, California

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 10:00pm

Brian,

It's set as a job, with no joy on both "backup now" on creation of job, or after waiting for the schedule to run. I haven't tried "One Time Backup."

G:\ drive contains:
2 movie-size .JPG files,
a folder with a CD database (?Nero??Creative?),
a folder with ERUNT registry backups,
a folder with other movie .JPGs,
2 folders with several TV-size .JPGs,
several folders of old partitions from a former computer (?packrat??--me?? - it's only   electrons),
a folder with public domain e-books for Palm OS,
the Google Earth setup program,
a folder with Google Earth files,
a folder with registry backups from jv16 Power Tools
a folder for storage of RAW pictures being processed
a folder with an old profile for Netscape browser (similar to Firefox)
the pspwise.jbf file that has to do with seeing files in PaintShop Pro Album , or somesuch.
a .dbf database of labels for an Avery labelmaking program

I just checked "hidden files & folders" and found "VSNAP.IDX"

Are there types of files that will interfere with a backup? Even if within folders??

I've also (besides CHKDSK /X/R) scanned my drive with Seagate (it's a Maxtor) Seatools for Windows "Long Drive Self Test" and get a "Pass."

Hope this helps.

Thanx again,

Bill Zigrang

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 10:54pm

Bill,

I'd try deleting and then recreating the job. If that doesn't work try it without a job...

Quote:
Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image. Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ...
Ignore Advanced if you don't need to split the image. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish

IP Logged

Zig
Dude

Burlingame, California

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 1:29am

Brian,

Same result - hangs at 5% "Calculating remaining time."

Bill Z. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Zig
Dude

Burlingame, California

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 8:42pm

To all who are following this thread - the problem turned out to be a faulty power supply. Even though I tried backing up to a different HD, the program still wouldn't work for Drive G:. New power supply - problem gone. Go figure.

Thanx to all who tried to help.

Bill Zigrang

IP Logged

shendy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 11:25pm

I have been having a similar problem.  Am using Ghost 12.0.  Creating incremental images is taking a very long time.  I am using:

a Toshiba laptop with a c: drive (80gb) running XP sp2
USB 80 gb hard drive (e:\)
a Network attached storage drive
Linksys wrt54g router

C: drive backup will usually finish eventually.
E: drive backup is hanging much like yours was.

Both are being backed up to the NAS drive.  Have tried it wirelessly & direct cable.  Haven't been able to get a backup of the E: drive for 3 weeks now.    Tried deleting the vsnap.idx file on the e: drive and it seems to go ok up to about 30%-50% and then it locks up again.  What's frustrating is that I have been able to get backups in the past and don't know that I've changed anything to cause the problem now.

Wondering if it's a network issue except that the C: drive backup does complete albeit slowly.  Have a powered usb hub on its' way along with a USB Y cable (2 usb A connectors to 1 usb B) so maybe that will help the E: drive. 

Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged

shendy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 11:30pm

by the way I started a c: drive incremental backup 3 hours ago and it's at 2% and it's still "reconciling volume".  Is this normal?  It's not stuck though.  (Not much network activity other than a little web surfing at the moment.)

IP Logged

shendy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:16pm

still working on trying to get that usb drive backed up.  The Y cable showed up yesterday.  Still no luck.  Am running out of ideas.  Maybe I'll try the new ver 14 and see if that makes a difference. Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:52pm

have you tried this from Command Prompt:

chkdsk e: /r

This will verify that all sectors on the usb hard drive are readable.

Also, I would disable wireless on your laptop, and connect ethernet cable directly to the Linksys wireless router.  Make sure you disable the wireless first, verify that you can't get to the internet, reboot and verify again, and THEN connect the eternet cable.  (You may have throught you were using the ethernet, but unless the laptop CTRL-wireless icon or similar is disabled, you probably weren't.)  Do all testing with wired connection.

Or test with NAS connected directly to laptop, and wireless DISABLED.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

shendy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 11:27am

Thanks for your advice.  I haven't been able to try it out yet though.  I started another attempt at backing up the E: drive 24 hours ago.  This time by direct cable (wireless is off) and it seems to be progressing albeit slowly.  It has about 55 gb of data to backup (out of total 80gb capacity).  Should it be taking this long? My c: drive backups are not this slow. Last night the progress meter was at about 16% complete and had transferred about 16gb.  This morning the meter is at 0% complete!!!!!  Transferred data is about 21 gb.  The filesize is increasing so am letting it run.  Will see where it's at when I get home tonight.  Network utilization per Task Manager is less than 10%.   I think that when this particular task is done I am going to restart that NAS drive. (WD MyBook World edition 1TB).  Is there a good network testing/diagnostic utility out there that you can recommend?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 11:55am

There have been other threads on this forum re problems creating backup-images to NAS devices (use search function to find them all.)

One thing to remember is that when you are using a NAS device you are using network protocol to communicate with the device.  It is dependent upon a lot of network settings on both the pc and network devices to optimize.  And network traffic retries, collisions, etc. are common.  

Compare that to using a second internal IDE or SATA hard drive, which is very fast.  Or usb2 or firewire external drive.

Even creating backups to separate pc on the network is different than pc to NAS.  Is the NAS device NTFS or is it some other linux or other format?  I recall some use a EXT3  format.  Not sure what that is or how its performance affects pc's.

See how long it takes to manually a copy a 1 or 2 gb file from your pc to the NAS device.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 12:00pm

As a point of comparision, I backup one partition which has 24 USED Gigabytes to external usb2 drive.  It takes about 15 minutes and the resulting image is 13 gigabytes on the usb2 drive (normal compression).

This is using Ghost 12 and Vista.  I had similar results with Ghost 10 and XP.

IP Logged

shendy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 12:22pm

Thanks again.  I found this thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1172938336/0

Lots of tips from you there.  I have my work cut out for me I guess.  I was hoping to use the NAS for my backups.  What I don't quite get is why the c: drive backup works ok and I am having so much trouble with the E: drive.  Am guessing that it might be the power issue for the e: usb drive.  The Y cable might be helping there.   Also, the last time I was able to get a good backup it didn't take this long so something's gone wrong in the system.  I did take Kaspersky AV off and installed Norton Internet Security so maybe that's it?  Maybe the next backup attempt will be with that disabled.  Will check settings.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 12:30pm

shendy wrote on Feb 21st, 2008 at 12:22pm:
 What I don't quite get is why the c: drive backup works ok and I am having so much trouble with the E: drive.  Am guessing that it might be the power issue for the e: usb drive.  

When backing up your E: (usb) drive, don't forget what is happening:  Xp must first read from the external usb2 drive via usb2 cable into memory, and then it must combine/create sector image and then write it out to the NAS device using tcpip protocol.  There are more external i/o's than if you were backing up your internal c: IDE/SATA drive.

Is the usb2 drive a powered one?  I get the impression it is not.  I personally don't like unpowered ones because the drive must draw its power from the usb2 cable and sometimes that isn't enough.  Also to minimize the power drain, most portable/unpowered usb2 drives run at slower rpm (usually 4000 or 5400) so they don't have the power demands of a normal 7200 rpm hard drive.

Bottom line is that unpowered usb2 hard drives are handy for portable casual use, but not for demanding use (in my opinion...others may differ...)

Is your laptop a new one?  I am assuming it has usb2 ports and not one of the older original very slow usb ports.

And also that the 80 gb usb hard drive is really a usb2 one?

What is the make and model of the usb hard drive?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print