Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Flashing" Ghost Image to Multiple Laptops (Read 8464 times)
G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

"Flashing" Ghost Image to Multiple Laptops
Jan 13th, 2008 at 8:57am

I found this forum when I began using Ghost 2003 more than a year ago.  The help was fantastic.  Hoping someone can steer me along with my current project which is:

SETTING UP A FEW COMPUTERS FOR A SMALL SCHOOL IN COSTA RICA

I want to take 4 or five laptops, a wireless hub, a NAS drive (for lap top file storage), and a USB external drive (for Norton Ghost).  The idea is to install all programs on one laptop...then using Ghost....restore ("flash") to other 4 laptops....which would make all 5 exactly alike.  Then if something goes wrong (or when),a quick restore from the Ghost Image on the usb drive.

Am I on the right track?  Any things to watch for?  The new laptops will have Vista...so I guess I will have to use Ghost 12?  Thanks for advise. Gary

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: "Flashing" Ghost Image to Multiple Laptops
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 9:35am

G_Man

Your question is actually two different issues:

1.  *Deployment* of the *master* baseline laptop so all other laptops have the same starting point.  Once deployed, you then activate each system with its Vista license.  You probably do not want to *re-deploy*, and reactivate Windows each time something goes wrong...so after you deploy, you then want to create a baseline image for each laptop for restoring going forward--so #2 below...

2.  Once deployed, then having the ability to restore a baseline image of that laptop back to a given starting point.

Technically, you need a Vista license for each laptop--and a Ghost license for each as well.  Being as Ghost 2003 is long past being available, you will have to consider what's currently available.

Ghost Solution Suite 2.x (aka Ghost 11) is what you need with a site license for as many systems as you are using.  It is designed to deploy a master image to multiple systems, and manage images for those systems via a network.

You create your *master* system, SysPrep that system (prepares the master system so it can detect and install needed registry entries when on a unique new system--even if the laptop is the *same* as all the others, it's still *unique*--the NIC has a unique MAC address, the motherboard, CPU, HDDs, etc. have unique serial numbers), create your master image, and then deploy it to the laptops.

After activating each laptop, create a baseline image of each for restoring as needed in the future.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 10:21am

G_Man, please see this thread for a wealth of information about installing an image from one PC onto another.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

RAC_lil_sparrow
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 11:59am

Hello G_Man:

Have we met before?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print