Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preparing to upgrade Rad Forums to YaBB 2.2 (Read 37315 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Preparing to upgrade Rad Forums to YaBB 2.2
Jan 13th, 2008 at 4:15pm

I just downloaded
YaBB 2.2

http://www.yabbforum.com/downloads.php

It was released
2 months ago
(November 8th, 2007), so solutions have likely already been found for any quirks associated with the upgrade, and mods have likely been tweaked to work with v2.2:

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=newsy22

It's supposed to be a
major upgrade
2 years worth
of upgrades. [YaBB v2.1 was releasd November 2005.]

I reviewed the procedure, which looks straightforward (mostly involves overwriting old files with new):

http://yabb.siegmanservices.com/Quick-Guide/English/extras/upgradeY2.html

I assume most of the
plug-ins I installed will break
. (I have quite a fewinstalled.)

I first want check out whether design-templates designed for v2.1 will work on v2.2. I read they have a new templating system. I really like this black/gray 3d design template we're currently using.

I'll give you a heads up before pressing forward. (Need to get my nerve up first.)

During the upgrade, the forum will be placed in "Maintenance Mode". You will see a note informing users the upgrade is in progress.

Probably tomorrow sometime (the 14th). Or Tuesday (the 15th). Wish me luck.

For those more interested in the process, see here:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1200272593

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Preparing to upgrade Rad Forums to YaBB 2.2
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 12:26am

Rad

Quote:
I'll give you a heads up before pressing forward. (Need to get my nerve up first.)

I know the feeling--I fret over major installs myself!

Of course, make that *backup* that they recommend before you proceed!

Hope this update fixes the *message text font* bug where you can not change the size!

And--*good luck*!  Hope to see you on the other side!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 2:26am

Uploaded all the files this eve, (Takes a while.) Ready to install new (Yabb 2.2) forum.

I also uploaded all the fixes they corrected to problems discovered since YaBB 2.2 was released 2 months ago. (Lotsa fixed files.)

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1200272108

Taking the chicken's way out, by first installing YaBB 2.2 by itself to new directory. After it's up-n-running the way we want, I'll place forum in "Maintenance mode," then copy over all threads & members data .. then change names of current forum (v2.1) folders to XXX_old, then change name of YaBB 2.2 folders to names currently used by YaBB 2.1 forum, and lastly edit the Paths.pl file to tell the new forum where everything is located.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1200272593

This is the recommended method. It's also safest, and lets users use then forum while I set up the new one.No hurry this way. If problems arise, no worries. YaBB 2.1 is still chugging along.

We can use YaBB 2.1 templates (design) with YaBB 2.2 forum (tho not vice-versa).

After everything is hunky-dory, I'll look at the mods to see which ones we want to install.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 12:16pm

Status update:

I've uploaded all the files for YaBB 2.2 plus all the latest fixes (released since YaBB 2.2 was initially released) .. to new directories that won't affect the operation of this board.

I've chmod'ed everything to 755 or 666, and am ready install YaBB 2.2 (run "setup").

I've also deleted many members. Those with 2 posts or less, and who have not visited the forum for 60 days were ax'ed. (They can always re-register.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Status update:

The new forum installed without a hitch. See here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl

Still needs major tweaking.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:51am

Rad

Like the color scheme!  But, during Registration--it was hard to see the validation code--almost not enough contrast to pick out the letters from the *chaff*--I'll look at that again from a poorer monitor later this morning to see if it's a problem!

Regarding picking a User ID--it appears so far that the User ID is in fact *hidden* from display in the status line at the bottom of the browser window--so that info is now not displayed!

Also, it wasn't until the verification email that it is explained that you can sign in with any of the three identification info that one provides:

Quote:
You can log in using your displayname (NightOwl), your Email address, or your user ID (**********).

Also, during Registration it states that you can not use the same User ID as your Display Name--and registration fails if you attempt it.  But, in the User Profile, once logged in, it suggests that you can change your *Display Name* to match your *User ID* name--suggesting only that it's not advisable--but if you attempt that--you get a message that the *Display Name* is already in use--but in fact it's the *User ID* that's already in use!:

Quote:
For security reasons, it's not advisable to have your displayed name the same as your login ID.

It should say you can not use the same name as as your User ID--or any one else's User ID or Display Name!  Oh, well--maybe I'm being *picky, picky*!

This morning, at least, the new forum seems to respond slowly compared to the old forum software--don't know if that will be an issue going forward or not!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:53pm

Quote:
...make that *backup* that they recommend before you proceed

Speaking of backups for the forum, can anyone restore the many missing posts in this thread:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1191165947 ?

Thanks!

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 5:21pm

What is missing?

There was one other thread where posts went missing.

Not good.

I have no clue.

Hopefully Y2.2 won't have the same problem.

That was a great thread. I feel bad.

When did we lose?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 5:41pm

Status update:

I was trying to switch over to the new forum before I pick up the Bug tomorrow. But that ain't gonna happen.

Had some trouble getting the new template to work:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1200359997

Bottom line is that it's better to tweak a board that isn't being used yet. (It's safer to configure and add mods that way.) So I'm going to wait until everything is "just right" b4 switching over.

New target date  = Sunday (the 20th). Maybe even Monday (the 21st.)

So far I've been IMPRESSED with this new forum. I mean, it has an ELEGANT "feel".

I think you'll like it. NightOwl & I are dialing it in.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1200411511

If there are things you'd like us to address, the sooner the better.

The template is the same, but we're using different gfx .. form a different "black" color scheme template package.

This is the first forum I've ever seen that has *two* emails as part of the registration process. (the first for activation, and a second that contains password).

Also wanna know if you can see the captcha challenge code okay .. or is it too easy?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?action=register

That's the lowest setting prior to disabling the "interference" altogether.

If you register at the new forum, use an odd name, so there's no conflict when I import your member account for Y2.1 forum. (Same name is bad.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 12:25am

what is the name of the settings in css that allows me to increase then size of the reply text?

when i bumped up ther size of the reply box in the regular forum template,did that also increase what you see in your *_medium stye?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 8:49am

Rad

Quote:
what is the name of the settings in css that allows me to increase then size of the reply text?

On the Style Sheet, down at the bottom below *Elements* in the list box--you want *Text Area (Textarea)*.  You have to re-fresh or re-start the browser to see the changes when you go back to the forum proper.

Quote:
when i bumped up ther size of the reply box in the regular forum template,did that also increase what you see in your *_medium stye?

The size of the reply box appears to be the same with all the different templates to choose from in the User CP Profile Options choices--I don't have anything else to compare too, but it does look wider than the original.

In the Yabb2.1, the reply box could be re-sized using a Mod that you installed--*AC Update Dimensions*--

Quote:
Width (in pixels) of the Message posting textarea:  550

Height (in pixels) of the Message posting textarea:  166

Plus, there are a couple other elements that can be adjusted as well.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 12:41pm

NighOwl/Rad, at the risk of being repetitious, can you restore the many missing posts in this thread:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1191165947 ?

Thanks!

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 1:32pm

Pleo,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what might've happened to the posts in your excellent thread. I can only hope the new forum (which I'm in the process of upgrading to right now) doesn't have the same problem.

NightOwl, the code in your new stylesheeet says your using 14px Verdana. There's no way that can (really) be 14px Verdana, which is HUGE.

textarea {
     background-color: #E8EBEF;
     border: 1px solid #B1BDC9;
     color: #000000;
     font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
     font-size: 14px;
}

So I'm confused as to exactly what is going on.

Anyway, it's good to know we can indeed bump up the size. I am going to try 13px and see what happens.

The default is 12px Verdana, which is (normally) pretty big ..maybe even *too* big.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print