Send Topic Print
Long winded question (Read 3264 times)
Bob C
N00b

Ghost me!

Ohio

Long winded question
Jan 16th, 2008 at 8:12am

I am currently using ghost.exe in dos mode to recovery my image to multiple like computers.  The ghost.exe file is from the 2003 version.  My question is I want to be able to send my ghost.exe and image on a usb flash drive to someone to recover my image to the unit they have.  They want to keep the usb flash drive incase the unit crashes again.  I purchased the original program for this image and am not sure if I can have someone else use it.

Also, would like to find a program like ghost.exe that can be used to create an image and put it on a usb flash the same as my current ghost program.   Anyone know of anyone else do this?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Long winded question
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 11:08am

Bob

Quote:
I purchased the original program for this image and am not sure if I can have someone else use it.

Well, the ELUA (End License User Agreement) says the following:

Quote:
You may:

A. use one copy of the Software on a single computer.

C. use the Software on a network, provided that You have a licensed copy of the Software for each computer that can access the Software over that network;

D. after written notice to Symantec, transfer the Software on a permanent basis to another person or entity, provided that You retain no copies of the Software and the transferee agrees to the terms of this license;

Symantec still offers the *Classic DOS based Ghost* through their Enterprise (corporate) product line--Ghost Solution Suite 2.x (GSS)--last time I looked you had to purchase a minimum site license of 5 units--you could probably consider one of your licenses as being used by a *remote* system that you are sending the flash drive to.

Rad's Original Guide to DOS based Ghost:  Guide to Norton Ghost lists alternative imaging programs:  Alternatives to Norton Ghost

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Re: Long winded question
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 4:53pm

As NightOwl notes, using any version of Ghost to distribute to multiple computers has always required one license for each PC. For your purposes you should probably have been using the corporate version anyway - which didn't actually charge more per seat, and which gave you quite a lot more for your money, since the corporate version has the network tools and many many other useful things. Making a bootable USB memory stick has also been a standard feature since about corporate version 8.2, for instance.

One of the additional elements in the corporate version is the OEM distribution kit, which allows you to create restore-only versions of Ghost with custom branding. Those still need licenses too, but the licensing for it is handled quite differently - but being restore-only they are very cheap.

That's something that's been an option basically forever (since the Binary Research days, even), but being originally created for computer manufacturers it wasn't quite a regular "product" as such. However, enough companies have wanted to use it for their own internal purposes that from GSS2 onwards, the OEM builds are now a standard part of the corporate product - you'd still need to talk to corporate sales about licensing the kit for distribution but it means the OEM versions of Ghost stay in synch version-wise and capability-wise with the base product.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print