IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Magoo: VPS Admin
Reply #46 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 12:04am

Rad wrote on Feb 10th, 2008 at 8:10pm:
Must be a good feeling .. feeling comfortable with all this hi-tech mojo .. that makes the web-world go 'round. I can tell you're not scared.

This is the stuff that makes Linux fun.  After I learned Linux, I stopped watching TV for a while.  Learning this stuff was way more fun.  Like you said, there's software out there that makes the web go around, and you don't need expensive hardware to play around with it (or expensive software licenses...)

And some stuff does still scare me.  I've been offered a new position at work where I'd be looking after a whole mess of servers that keep a heavily-trafficked e-commerce site up and running, and its going to be a little over my head at first.  So there are still things that scare me, but not this stuff.  I've done all this before.  I have a LAMP server in my closet now running a web site for my home network.  This stuff is like anything else in computers - once you do it once it seems easy, and I've done it more than once.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #47 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 12:18am

MrMagoo wrote on Feb 11th, 2008 at 12:04am:
been offered a new position at work where I'd be looking after a whole mess of servers that keep a heavily-trafficked e-commerce site up and running, and its going to be a little over my head at first.

Congrats, bro. They're lucky to have you.

Looking after a whole gaggle of servers .. feeling in over your head .. out of your comfort zone .. that's what it's all about .. cuz that's what leads to growth.

And if we ain't learnin' & growin', we're done.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #48 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 9:33pm

Today's numbers:

Quote:
radified.com

CPU usage: 8.46
Memory usage: 1.29
MySQL usage: 0.0

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #49 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 9:43pm

I'm trying to recall problems I had when we migrated to Lunarpages back in 2006.

One problem I recall was subdomains. I make use of plenty of subdomains > ghost.radified.com etc.

I had to go into the control panel and configure every subdomain, individually.

Speaking of control panels, I called LP VPS people today and they told me the basic Plesk (10-domain) license is FREE. They also said they'd waive the $30 set-up fee.

But if we didn't have a control panel, I wouldn't know how to set up the subdomains at the new server.

Do you know how to do that? (without a control panel?)

Trying to anticipate problems.

Hard to believe we're at 8.46% CPU.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #50 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 10:54pm

Setting up a sub-domain isn't an different than setting up the base domain in Apache.  Same thing in DNS - its just another domain name.  I can set it up easy.

This thread has over 700 views already.  Maybe all the extra CPU usage is coming from this thread about how to deal with the CPU usage.  That would be great.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #51 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 9:51am

Today's numbers:

Quote:
radified.com

CPU usage: 11.24
Memory usage: 1.53
MySQL usage: 0.0

Now they tell me we don't qualify for VPS and need a *dedicated* server. Something is not right. I sent a sppt ticket asking them to look into the issue, since nothing I can see here supports such a dramatic increase.

Fact that I don't have access to their reporting module means they could tell me anything, and having no way to verify their numbers on my own makes me suspicious .. especially when you consider higher CPU numbers mean loftier hosting plan$ (VP$ & dedicated) which mean more money for them .. so it's not like they have no incentive to pad the numbers.

I temporarily disabled to search to see if that had any effect:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202831161

Also lowered ""Max messages returned on recent posts by user.." from 30 to 10.

Started looking for a new "YaBB-friendly" host, as I don't see anything to ssupport or confirm their skyrocketing numbers:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=mods_admins

Just a few days ago, they said usage was back within normal limits and they were preparing to move me back to the production server. And I can't see anything that has changed between then and now.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #52 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 1:57pm

MrMagoo wrote on Feb 11th, 2008 at 10:54pm:
This thread has over 700 views already. Maybe all the extra CPU usage is coming from this thread about how to deal with the CPU usage. That would be great.

Kinda funny .. uh, but maybe not. Started new thread .. to continue this discussion. See here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202845787

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print