Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
unable to restore image - is there an ug to 2003 i can try? (Read 4931 times)
dave nz
Ex Member

unable to restore image - is there an ug to 2003 i can try?
Jan 27th, 2008 at 12:48am

I'm running Norton Ghost 2003 (build=793, cdrlib=3.1.25) from a boot CD.

The image i am trying to restore comes up with "Internal error 36000", I've tried it on 2 different PCs and have been working through the symantec article "How to troubleshoot the error: "Internal error 36000 . . . " (http://tinyurl.com/2ppn26 refers)

The article recommends upgrading to a later version of ghost if all else fails, however there seem to have been some changes to what's available for purchase since the article was written.

My questions are:
Is it worth trying a later version of ghost?
Which version and where can I obtain it (ideally purchase as a download)

As far as I can tell the only option that is currently available for purchase is Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0.1 - rather an expensive option especially if it doesn't work for this one job. (symantec requires a minimum purchase of 5 licences  for this corporate product) The trial version of 2.0.1 doesn't support restoring partitions that weren't created with the same trial version.

(I am trying to restore a NTFS partition that contains a WinXP installation, really need to get this back because it contains the keys to EFS encryption, i didn't backup my EFS signatures - i really want to get this partition restored!)

Regards, Dave

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: unable to restore image - is there an ug to 2003 i can try?
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 1:17am

dave nz

The recommendation to upgrade appears to be referring to upgrading to Ghost v7.0!

Your Ghost 2003 build is the latest and final build--and is equivalent to Ghost 7.5.  So, I doubt that will make any difference!

Quote:
(I am trying to restore a NTFS partition that contains a WinXP installation, really need to get this back because it contains the keys to EFS encryption, i didn't backup my EFS signatures - i really want to get this partition restored!)

I presume you noted the statement about encryption in that FAQ:

Quote:
Method 3

If cloning a computer that has Windows 2000 encrypted secure folders, remove the folder encryption or remove the folders before cloning.

Yes, it's talking about Win Y2K, but it may also apply to WinXP--unfortunately.

Have you tried all the other suggestions?

Quote:
As far as I can tell the only option that is currently available for purchase is Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0.1

That is correct!

If you have the retail version of Ghost 10.x, the installation CD acts a an Emergency Boot Disk, and in the Recovery Environment that loads, there is a utility for restoring *legacy* Ghost images--that is the Windows based Ghost program from the corporate Ghost v8.2--Ghost32 v8.2.  It would be a later version that's able to restore a Ghost 2003 image file from that Recovery Environment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

dave nz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 2:07am

Quote:
I presume you noted the statement about encryption in that FAQ:

Yes, a chill went down my spine when I read that.

Quote:
Have you tried all the other suggestions?

method 1 (ghost.exe -fni) - yes
method 2 (ghost.exe -ntc- -fni -ffx -fns -ntil) - yes
method 3 (don't use encryption) - it's too late for that, I am trying to restore... Sad
method 4 (gdisk.exe 1 /y /del /all) - I've created a single ntfs partition on the target disk using partition magic, so i don't think this applies. have also tried another disk as well.
method 5 (shell=command.com /p /e:2048) - still to try this
method 6 (use ghost from command line) - still to try this
method 7 (defrag and remove ie temp files) - can't defrag an image Smiley, but i have used ghost explorer from the trial download of GSS 2.0.1 to delete ie temp files from the image - it didn't make any difference.
method 8 (remove unnecessary peripherals) - have tried this on one of the machines.
method 9 (upgrade to ghost 7.0)

Thanks for your help, NightOwl - I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Dave

PS I've also tried restoring files from ghost explorer (not all of the files restore, especially EFS encrypted ones) and then doing  a windows recovery install. XP boots but when i try user logins it accepts the password but is unable to log me in, even in safe mode.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 9:07am

dave nz

Quote:
method 4 (gdisk.exe 1 /y /del /all) - I've created a single ntfs partition on the target disk using partition magic, so i don't think this applies. have also tried another disk as well.

It might!  Ghost in its default mode does not over-write the Master Boot Tract (boot sectors 0 thru 62)!  Encryption programs can place code after the first sector 0 (which contains contains the Master Boot Record (MBR) and the Master Partition Table)--so if a HDD already has been partitioned and formatted, then the Master Boot Tract already exists and Ghost will only modify the Master Partition Table if/as needed.  

A HDD that has bee previously used, must be wiped with a program that also includes the Master Boot Tract--not just the data on the rest of the HDD!

Also, you need to be doing a *whole disk* restore (Local > Disk > From Image), and not a partition restore (Local > Partition > From Image)--then Ghost restores the MBR that it has stored from the original HDD.  But, unfortunately, Ghost's default behavior is to backup and restore the MBR (sector 0 only), and not the whole *Tract*.  You must force Ghost, when creating the image, by using the *-ib* switch (Image Boot) to backup the whole Master Boot Tract.

Also, when encryption is concerned, you might have to use one of Ghost's *sector-by-sector* image creation options:  using the *-ia* (Image All) or *-id* (Image Disk) switches.  Experimentation would be needed to see whether one or the other is successful--but, as you have clearly noted--you are beyond that stage!

Let us know how your efforts go!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 1:03am

Quote:
The image i am trying to restore comes up with "Internal error 36000"

That's a generic code applied to all kinds of errors, including protected-mode memory faults like dereferencing NULL or uninitialised pointers (i.e., programming errors) as well as missing logic to handle some obscure cases (i.e., design errors). In the bulk of cases a 36000 is some kind of problem in the code.

The actual underlying error for these cases can't be determined without grubbing through the content of the GHOSTERR.TXT file that ghost tries to write out when one of these happens. Without that it's not actually possible to give any decent help.

Quote:
Is it worth trying a later version of ghost?

Given that there have been about 4 releases (plus a couple LiveUpdates) since then, it's quite likely. Still, the extra debug information in the GHOSTERR.TXT will probably make it easier to say for sure since that will point at a more specific area in the code.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print