Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New post(s) notification on the main page (Read 43081 times)
ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Re: New post(s) notification on the main page
Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 7:16pm

The yellow and blue check boxes are much better. thanks.

I agree that the animation can be useful to get your attention.... but it was very annoying to me. I think that maybe it was mainly the bright red color and that more subdued colors might be better. As long as there is nothing flashing on the posts pages where I spend most time reading then all is well.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 7:37pm

Rad wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 1:55pm:
It's obvious the INtention of the flashing animated graphic *is* to get your ATtention ("Hey, we have new posts here that need your attention/help/assistance")

Except that the legend display showing what the read/unread marks mean that blinking element is always present on the page, harming readability 100% of the time. Blinking is inappropriate for this, full stop.

Honestly, almost anything else - bolding the links, highlighting the background, any one of dozens of techniques - works much better in practice.

By the way NightOwl, with respect to colourblindness it varies but the most common type is red/green, in which (say) orange versus blue is still distinct (I have several friends, and have worked with several people with this form of colour-blindness). The wikipedia page on colour-blindness points to a tool which can help show how web-based designs effectively look to people with varying kinds of colour perception.

The other thing it's always worth bearing in mind is the blind; the Web has been much better than most modern desktop applications for blind folks because it's historically emphasised text. A good introduction to the experience of blind users is Darren Fittler's presentation at Webstock '06, which you can watch (and more importantly, hear) a recording of.

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 7:59pm

Okay, I'll leave it as it is .. unless you find something different you'd like to try.

Rad (in SeaMonkey)

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 8:10pm

I like it.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator