Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What IF my main HD goes bad (mechanically)& is NOT even bootable? (Read 11561 times)
Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

What IF my main HD goes bad (mechanically)& is NOT even bootable?
Feb 3rd, 2008 at 4:58pm

Will I be able to restore my Ghost 12 images from my secondary HD and do a restore to a NEW HD?  I know Ghost 12 has a feature you can copy HD's from one to another but in this case the main HD is DEAD and all I have are Ghost 12 images.

I've looked high and low and have read most all of FAQ's but cannot seem to find a clear answer to this question.

If the answer is NO,  it can't be done, is this a feature Norton has missed?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.....

Rod Huh

Rod

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: What IF my main HD goes bad (mechanically)& is NOT even bootable
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 6:12pm

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:38pm

Hey my friend,  THANKS - BIG Time!  Ohhhh,  soooooo simple. Just couldn't find the steps in the Ghost User guide.  Anyway  Thanks.

I tried to get my new drive up and running but I did run into a snag at Step 11,  Next;  I get the following Error message,  EC950006: The Destination is not Valid.

I'm using the original Ghost 12 CD and I did shut down the PC before starting the procedure.  I do believe the SATA drive is good. 

Any ideas what's up?
Sad

Rod

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:47pm

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 11:04pm

Brian,  you're good!

I was trying to do a restore with an image that was physically 15.7GB onto a drive that was 74GB but the true size of the image,  uncompressed or whatever, was actually 189GB's,  the size of the drive I made the image from.

I guess that fits the description of the error message I was getting.

So I guess we're done here.....How did you like the Super Bowl?

Cool

Rod

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 11:26pm

Rod, no Super Bowl here I'm afraid. (Australia)

What you could do is restore your image to a HD larger than 189 GB. Then resize that OS partition with Partition Magic (etc) to say 70 GB. Create an image again and restore that image to your 74 GB HD.

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 4:00am

Hey Brian,

Didn't noticed you were in Australia,  sorry you didn't get to see the Super Bowl - was one of the best ever.

Anyway,  I do have Partition Magic and will probably take your suggestion next week sometime.

Thanks for all your help.  And by the way,  was your answer(Link) to my main question about How To Restore a Recovery point etc. in the Norton Ghost 12 User guide?
Smiley

Rod

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 4:23pm

Osmosis wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 4:00am:
And by the way,  was your answer(Link) to my main question about How To Restore a Recovery point etc. in the Norton Ghost 12 User guide?

Rod, I found it from Google. It's not in the Norton Ghost 12 User guide.

IP Logged

Smokey
N00b

I Love Radified!

Chicago, Illinois USA

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 2:11pm

Noobie, here! I never had to replace a hard drive and my Dell PC desktop Dimension 510 says I have a hard disk failure..It won't even start up!

In the links above, it says it's easy to replace & re-load the drive and lists steps for Ghost 12:

But Please:
1. Can the SAME steps be used with Ghost 10.
2. And I'm really scared-off by some threads I read about Dell's 'partitions!'  PLEASE tell me I need not worry about that... and that the 'recover my computer' is easy to do!

I definitely need a step by step process... and while the Ghost 10 guide spells things out, I'm afraid some of it is way over my head!  Huh

Thanks very much!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Smokey,

Here are the steps for Ghost 10.

Quote:
Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
click Recover My Computer
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next
choose the Unallocated Space (or a partition) on your new HD. Next.
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
Resize drive to fill unallocated space will probably be greyed out. If it isn’t, tick the box
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore MBR
Next
no tick in Reboot when finished
click Finish. Yes.

I've replaced several Dell HDs and the hidden partitions are not a problem.

I assume you already have backup images (recovery points). How many partitions did you backup?

How large are the old and new HDs. How many partitions were on the old HD and how much data was in your old C: drive? How large was the old C: drive? How large is your old C: drive recovery point? Where is the old C: drive recovery point stored at present?

IP Logged

Smokey
N00b

I Love Radified!

Chicago, Illinois USA

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 1:17pm

Thanks for the advice, Brian. I'll be replacing my 250Gb with a 500GB Western Digital. I'll assume I can 'go bigger' with no issue.  Tongue

Regarding the 'hidden partitions' I don't think I backed those up on the Iomega external drive I used (for backup).

Also: I had about 100GB of the total 250GB.... used-up on my broken Dell drive.

Question: You say 'load the Ghost 10' CD and boot from the CD, correct? When I do that...will the new drive then automatically 'see' the Iomega external drive, when I go to restore my files/programs, etc...?

Or... do I need to do something special... before that particular step?

One more: "....put  'dot' in primary partition." I guess you mean there's a 'box' I need to check or select for that? Right?

What can I say! Thanks much... ande I'm anxioulsy awaiting your reply.... Undecided

Smokey

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 1:54pm

Smokey wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 1:17pm:
Regarding the 'hidden partitions' I don't think I backed those up on the Iomega external drive I used (for backup).

You should.

There are still a few questions from my previous post that you haven't answered. It will help me give you better advice.

Quote:
Question: You say 'load the Ghost 10' CD and boot from the CD, correct? When I do that...will the new drive then automatically 'see' the Iomega external drive, when I go to restore my files/programs, etc...?

It should. Ghost 10 has a problem occasionally with external HDs. Make sure you NEVER attach your USB external HD if a USB flash drive is attached to your computer. It's OK to attach a flash drive after the USB external HD has been attached. Long story and you don't really want to read 10 pages of posts, but it can stop Ghost 10 seeing the external HD.

Quote:
"....put  'dot' in primary partition."

It's a radio button.

I suggest a trial run with the Ghost CD and your current internal HD. Make sure you can see the recovery point on the external HD. Work half way through a restore and then abort. Just don't click "Finish" and all will be OK.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 2:04pm

Smokey,

I'd forgotten that your old HD won't boot. So there are questions you can't answer.

There may be a slight problem with your boot.ini on the new HD as you didn't backup the hidden Diagnostic partition. Don't worry, it's easy to fix. So if the new HD fails to boot and gives a "hal.dll is missing" message get back to us and we'll talk you through the fix.

Let us know your progress either way.

You will need to tick "Resize drive to fill unallocated space" during the Ghost CD restore. Don't do any partitioning with the new HD. Just install it in your computer, check that it's seen in the BIOS and boot to the Ghost CD.

IP Logged

Smokey
N00b

I Love Radified!

Chicago, Illinois USA

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 4:42pm

Brian-
Thanks!  I'll let you know...

Smokey

IP Logged

Smokey
N00b

I Love Radified!

Chicago, Illinois USA

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 7:54am

Hi, Brian!

It worked 'like a charm!'

One strange thing did happen, though... as the Symantec window came-up (where you make a selection for what do do), the cursor never came up. The up/down keys on would work, but all I could do was exit set up.

That left me with a blank screen. So I re-inserted the Norton disk, and even after turning power off/on... and adding the disk ...it wouldn't run.

So... I did the 'F12' function on power on... selected the CD drive... hit enter... and Norton disk started running. Kept my fingers crossed... and this time the cursor showed up, no problem... and now.... 'all is well!' Tongue

Thanks so much for the help... and the quick responses to my questions!

"Go!! Radified Forum!" Cool

Smokey

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print