Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remote-recovery: Ghost thin-client and pcAnywhere - Ghost networking (Read 3485 times)
cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Remote-recovery: Ghost thin-client and pcAnywhere - Ghost networking
Feb 22nd, 2008 at 8:15pm

Norton Ghost comes with a "thin-client" - part of the Recovery Environment (RE).

If you boot into the RE and enable networking, you can attach to that PC using Norton pcAnywhere (version 12) and perform the recovery.

This works great (amazing) in a local network.  I've done it.

Of course, it won't work across the Internet.  You have routers and such to content with.

Has anyone done this?  I could use some help.
Are there any articles around that discuss this?
Is there another post, here in El-Radified, that addresses this.

This is an amazing feature (IMO).  For example, you would want to do this with a family member in another city.  
"Dad, my computer crashed.  Can you help?"
"Get that Norton Ghost CD...boot it...do the following...I'll take care of the rest..."

Huh

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Remote-recovery: Ghost thin-client and pcAnywhere - Ghost networ
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 4:53pm

Cardinal23, a remote restore operation sounds like it could be handy feature, under the right circumstances.  I have never attempted it myself, however.

Maybe someone else knows the answer for sure, but ShadowProtect Desktop 3.1 implies that it could also do a remote restore, using the Network Configuration Utility (“a simple tool you can use … to recover or create images to a network device”) in combination with the UltraVNC tool (“software that can display the screen of another computer (via internet or network) on your own screen. The program allows you to use your mouse and keyboard to control the other PC remotely.”), both of which are included in the Recovery Environment.

Please continue your experimentation, and post what you learn.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Remote-recovery: Ghost thin-client and pcAnywhere - Ghost networ
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 10:07pm

I have purchased ShadowProtect - because, unlike Ghost, it is designed to restore to different hardware - which is what you need if your computer is stolen, or your motherboard fries.

I am looking into their VNC - VPN, remote restore feature and I intend to report back once I've made it work.

As always, thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print