Send Topic Print
Alex needs help (Read 10022 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Alex needs help
Feb 5th, 2008 at 1:59pm

Some of you might Alex, author of Motherboard Monitor. He's been a long-time Rad-friend. I'd like your expert input b4 responding. Here's his message.

Quote:
hello Rad,

Last month I tried a Linux install, found there where still some issues with my hardware so sort of forgot about it, it made a few file systems/partitions on my drive, shrank the once I had to make room, all very nice.

Anyway, Monday I figured lets remove it all so I fixed the boot record the old fdisk way and booted fine, then in manager I delete the partitions, moment I did that my drive suddenly was 2000GB or so in manager...

I figured a reboot may fix it but made it only worse, windows would load splash screen and that was it, I used my partition magic floppy's .. had to install a floppy drive but it just gave errors which it could not fix, so norton ghost 9 time.....

now I always used previous version of ghost in dos but since 9 I was making a nice backup every 4-5 weeks in windows to an old PC with a few disks strung together to make enough room.

so in goes the cd and booting up only to find out it would not find my on-board lan card... uh ho... I could not remove the 2 drives from the old pc as they made 1 huge file system so I figured lets install basic windows so I have LAN and copy the v2i files to a small partition.

Well winxp install failed as it could not access the disk at all... ok so fdisk time, fdisk saw all the old partitions and some new once but deleting them was not an option as it where not DOS partition it said.

Searching the web I found sdisk which I downloaded, made boot disk, booted from disk, garbled screen, after some experimenting it was te ctmouse driver that would corrupted the screen output, dont ask me why, maybe gfx card issue, so found old dos mouse.exe and used that.

Well sdisk was great in showing me all of my drive info and problems but was demo, since it was for now my best call I bought it online, new disk, new boot, removed all partitons without problem ! yah

made new partition C 160 (was 150) D 90 (was 100) E 50 (was 50), installed win xp, installed LAN driver, installed ghost 9 and could access the other PC, I restored E and D under windows, went fine, then tried C and of course that would not work, no problem, copie the v2i files (13.4gb total) to E and use the cd-rom.

you are probably laughing now, anyways during those houres of waiting and ghost network problems I found your site again, hence my email now, hence its a selfish email

anyways local > partion > from disk ... umm no v2i files are not supported... no worry, close ghost and click the advanced section and click the restore there, yes np, point me to the v2i file... ok you want that on C ? 146GB.. sure... but C is not big enough (was 160) so delete a partition, okay, deleting D again, so now you have 160+90 for an original 146GB backup...

it started and bang error at the end about not being able to write something, was sure it had to do with the size so closed it and rebooted figuring a new xp install was needed but no, XP started without issue... so what ghost been doing in that drive for 15min ? oh well with sdisk came EASEUS partion manager and since Partiton Magic let me down a few hours before I used that to make C 250GB as one whole partition.

Back to ghost 9, select the v2i file and get same error about not big enough... ummm.. ok lets try something else... instead of restore drive I selected restore files, I ctrl+a all files once it shows the v2i list and I started the restore.... we talking 24GB or 13.4GB max compressed v2i files... total run time was 7 hours !!!!

anyways fingers crossed, reboot time... and low and behold I was back, so far only 2 issues, my recycle bin was corrupted but who cares and mbm 5 has issues with its IO driver, which I did find odd, but reinstall fixed that...

when your done laughing .... yes I should have read your pages years ago a lot better and know that v2i files are not ghost image files but what I don't understand is why partion backups (yes I make one for each partition) require a complete drive as restore, and I could not do that as I had the v2i files on there, I did try another drive but I was tired and since its all sata and I only had the old fasioned drives I could not get it to work, bios saw it but ghost did not.

now the big question... I want to prevent this in the future and I noticed on your page ghost 12 and USB drive so prefable I would like to do the following:

* get a USB drive
* be able to backup to there via windows or if that is no go then via a boot cd (with some form of script to make a history and not overwrite all files)
* be able to restore without issues so if I backup partion C then be able to restore it to a partition of the same size and not getting silly messages about to little room

will ghost 12 fit that bill or another program ?... not that windows made backup files are not useable in dos based ghost

Well that is about it, I hope this rant finds you well and I was pleasantly surprised that your site was still around

Regards, Alex

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Alex needs help
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 10:15pm

Quote:
now the big question... I want to prevent this in the future and I noticed on your page ghost 12 and USB drive so prefable I would like to do the following:

* get a USB drive
* be able to backup to there via windows or if that is no go then via a boot cd (with some form of script to make a history and not overwrite all files)
* be able to restore without issues so if I backup partion C then be able to restore it to a partition of the same size and not getting silly messages about to little room

will ghost 12 fit that bill or another program ?... not that windows made backup files are not useable in dos based ghost

Alex,

The answer to these questions should be "yes". Your earlier problems are a mystery.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 2:00am

Rad/Alex

I see at least two issues--and it's hard to test now that everything has be altered so much, but:

1.  Looks like the linux install must have put some non-standard code in the Master Boot Record (MBR), and the efforts to remove it were incomplete.  *Fdisk* and other programs that are used for partitioning will alter the Master Partition Table, but will not over-write the other parts of the MBR once it already exists on a HDD.

You have to use specific tools that can zero out the absolute sector zero if you want to make a truly fresh start!!!  One example:  MBRWizard - The MBR Management Utility.

You might have been able to use the *fdisk* command "fdisk /mbr" to create a new DOS based MBR--or used the "fixmbr" command used from the 2000/XP recovery console to create a WinXP based MBR.

2.  Ghost 9 and 10 behave differently than the older DOS Ghost program when you are restoring a partition!  If you attempt to restore an image of a partition over the same partition that the image came from--that should work.  But, when you have an image of a partition that no longer exists--and you have created a new partition structure on the HDD--then Ghost 9 and 10 will refuse to over-write that existing partition that is not the one the image is of.  Instead, you must delete an existing partition so as to make it *unallocated space*--now Ghost 9 and 10 will restore that partition image to the *unallocated space* and resize and create the needed HDD geometry for the restored partition from that image file!

If you have questions--I'm going to be gone for the next five days--so, I'm not ignoring you--I'm just not around!  I'll respond when I'm back.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 2:52pm

Thanks guys.

IP Logged

Alex v Kaam
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 3:19pm

thanks Smiley.  fdisk I used at start and did not help, must admit Idid not use it once winxp installer could not even access the drive stage was reached. only saw it inside fdisk and sdisk (last one I really like now) .. and yes sdisk came with the remark that mbr was a mess and if it should fix it.

so if I am clear on this, ghost 12 would not have an issue placing the iv2 files into a big enough partition that is available... but then if I get usb drive ghost 9 can just do with the c drive what it wants... if ghost 9 can get access to a usb drive ?

Alex

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 4:37pm

Alex,

You mentioned Ghosts 9 and 12. They will both work to restore an image to the same sized partition as the source. They will even restore an image to a smaller partition than the source if the "sectors in use" will fit.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#15

USB HDs are not a problem with these Ghosts. The HDs will be seen from the Recovery Environment.

Quote:
and yes sdisk came with the remark that mbr was a mess and if it should fix it.

Does it still say that? In the WinXP Recovery Console you always get a similar message before using fixmbr. When you use fixmbr and return to the Recovery Console, you get the same error message so the message is fallacious.

IP Logged

Alex v Kaam
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 11:33am

Brian wrote on Feb 6th, 2008 at 4:37pm:
Alex,
Does it still say that? In the WinXP Recovery Console you always get a similar message before using fixmbr. When you use fixmbr and return to the Recovery Console, you get the same error message so the message is fallacious.

no, Sdisk only said it before it fixed it... recovery consule did not even see C, Fdisk did not allow me to delete none dos partition and the main C was really small but could not change that because I had to get rid of the rest first.  Pmagic gave I think, error 106 and on trying to fix the mbr gave errors about wrong parameters, so that is why I ended up with Sdisk and well am pleased about that tool for sure now Smiley

system seems stable, I figured I had a basic winxp install so add all the files from the backup should do the trick as long as it would overwrite the registry files which it did.

anywas this weekend gone get usb drive and see how ghost 9 handles that, if not then gone go see ghost 12

thanks again for the helpful info

Alex

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 10:39pm

thanks for helping my friend while i was playing dad.

was that your 1st linux install?

have u seen magoo's guide.

http://guides.radified.com/magoo/guides/linux/linux_introduction.html

he admins linux for his day-job.

which distro did u opt for?

i had a similar problem. i'm always careful with linux install now. prefer 3rd party boot managers, such as boot magic. also heard good things about "... commander"

Quote:
I figured a reboot may fix it but made it only worse, windows would load splash screen and that was it, I used my partition magic floppy's .. had to install a floppy drive but it just gave errors which it could not fix, so norton ghost 9 time.....

I totally know that feeling.  Wink

as i'm reading your post, i'm thinking "holy sh!t".  Smiley thot only *I* had problems like this.  Smiley

Quote:
fdisk saw all the old partitions and some new once but deleting them was not an option as it where not DOS partition it said.

are u familiar with fdisk? you have to delete in opposite order u created, right?

http://fdisk.radified.com/

Quote:
Searching the web I found sdisk

never hear of sdisk. u like?

Quote:
removed all partitons without problem ! yah
YAH!

Quote:
ummm.. ok lets try something else... instead of restore drive I selected restore files, I ctrl+a all files once it shows the v2i list and I started the restore

very clever. have to remember that trick (the "alex" trick)

Quote:
we talking 24GB or 13.4GB max compressed v2i files... total run time was 7 hours !!!!

something not right there. sounds like drivers.

Quote:
anyways fingers crossed, reboot time... and low and behold I was back

very nice .. the way you fought your way back. scrappy.

Quote:
yes I should have read your pages years ago a lot better

of course.  Smiley

Quote:
* get a USB drive

external usb drive is what i use. seagate. 500-gigger. have made many images, and even restored one .. using ghost 12. so i have confidence in the prgm.

Quote:
hope this rant finds you well and I was pleasantly surprised that your site was still around

my host is complaining we're using too many server resources (cpu/ram) and want me to upgrade to VPS. ($45/month)

http://blogs.radified.com/2007/11/notice_excessive_server_usage_web_host_lunarpa...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1201321547

Nice to have you stop by.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 12:52am

Linux typically installs a boot manager onto the Master Boot Record.  This is different than Windows, which usually marks a particular partition active and then installs the boot manager onto the partition boot record.  That, along with the non-Windows partitions that Linux uses (ext3, jfs, ect..) do a great job of confusing fdisk.  Your best bet at reverting a disk modified by Linux is by using Linux - GParted or PartedMagic LiveCD's.

GRUB, the most popular Linux boot manager, is excellent - but it does require a little familiarity.

I recently updated my Linux guide based on some feedback I received.  I'd like to hear more because it's far from perfect.  It's such a large topic I find it difficult to cover without overwhelming a reader.  And I only admin a few Linux boxes at work - I spend most of my time in routers.  Although I may be taking on a much larger Linux system admin role in the next few weeks.

Alex, if you are ever interested in trying to get Linux going again, I'll be happy to assist.  I check in here at Radified a few times a week.

IP Logged

Alex v Kaam
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 3:58am

man all the questions:

RAD: was that your 1st linux install?
AKM: I installed it on my 2 other PC's previously fine and I installed it on this big PC also fine, the linux install was not an issue, the removing of the Linux partitions via XP disk manager caused the problems

RAD: have u seen magoo's guide.
AKM: nope will do now

RAD: which distro did u opt for?
AKM: Suse 10.3 and right now am still impressed on the older PC's with it, on this one I had to much issues with soundcard and gfx card and came to the conclusion that for regular work I still use to much windows so I keep it on the other 2 older systems and clean up from this one.

RAD: i had a similar problem. i'm always careful with linux install now. prefer 3rd party boot managers, such as boot magic. also heard good things about "... commander"
AKM: I should have known better, I know Smiley

RAD: as i'm reading your post, i'm thinking "holy sh!t".  Smiley thot only *I* had problems like this.  Smiley
AKM: good Smiley

RAD: are u familiar with fdisk? you have to delete in opposite order u created, right?
AKM: yes, but Fdisk could not handle it at all, it said I had none DOS partitions but then would not list them so they could not be deleted from the bottom up

RAD: never hear of sdisk. u like?
AKM: Super Fdisk, my error. found here: http://www.ptdd.com/manual2.htm  I guess you can see it as a graphical Fdisk so more like Partion Magic DOS version, but where Partition Magic gave me a error 106 (never found the exact meaning) and on a mbr repair gave parameter errrors  this one just said want me to fix it and did it.  If you want to try it, you know my mail.

RAD: very clever. have to remember that trick (the "alex" trick)
AKM: well the only reason that worked was because I had everything basicly in place, had a partition, had a MBR, had a basic WinXP install, so it added and overwrote, it did not erase so I had one funny thing in that when I installed the basic motherboard drivers to get LAN support I also installed ASUS WiFi-AP solo, this is something I uninstalled long ago and thus was uninstalled on the v2i backup.  So now I had  the WiFi-AP solo folder under start menu and the files under program files but of course there is not a single link in the registry so its there but not installed, easy to remove though.

RAD: something not right there. sounds like drivers.
AKM: well I doubt the ghost 9 recovery CD has anything fancy like dos smartdisk (need to check) so hdd access is very pure and you actually see every file on your hdd pass the screen, espacially the small files like .ico files from Opera (like radified.com.ico , your little icon) took long compared to the 2GB pagefile.  Am sure if it where all 1MB files it would have been a lot faster.  And you should have seen defrag display once it was up and running, there was not a single green line to be seen Smiley

RAD: external usb drive is what i use. seagate. 500-gigger. have made many images, and even restored one .. using ghost 12. so i have confidence in the prgm.
AKM: that is enough for me

RAD: my host is complaining we're using too many server resources (cpu/ram) and want me to upgrade to VPS. ($45/month)
AKM: did you ever contact Symantec, for sure they should do some finacial support here ?

MrMagoo: Linux typically installs a boot manager onto the Master Boot Record.  This is different than Windows, which usually marks a particular partition active and then installs the boot manager onto the partition boot record.  That, along with the non-Windows partitions that Linux uses (ext3, jfs, ect..) do a great job of confusing fdisk.  Your best bet at reverting a disk modified by Linux is by using Linux - GParted or PartedMagic LiveCD's.
AKM: yup Fdisk was confused Smiley  I think you can add Super Fdisk to that list as it could handle , well clean it up.

MrMagoo: Alex, if you are ever interested in trying to get Linux going again, I'll be happy to assist.  I check in here at Radified a few times a week.
AKM: right now gone leave it for a little, get more familair with it on the older PC's and then check with this one

thanks again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print