Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
help...ghost 9 problem (Read 25030 times)
bkoc
Dude

I Love Radified!

help...ghost 9 problem
Feb 5th, 2008 at 6:01pm

i backed up my hard drive using ghost 9, and verified as a valid image, now i try to recover
and even though i get all file names and sizes correct, the files are unreadable....
i have my lifelong work is gone, please HELPPP!!!
chuck

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: help...ghost 9 problem
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 9:22pm

bkoc,

I haven't seen that before. Could you provide details on your hard drives, partitions, how you restored the image and why you restored the image? Did you restore to a new HD? Can the image be mounted on another computer?

IP Logged

bkoc
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 9:30pm

hi Brian,
I used Ghost 9 to backup my company laptop data before I returned it, there is a single partition (C) and I did the backup into 2 different external drives, completed successfully both times.
Then I used image browser to check, all files (names sizes) seemed ok, then i returned the pc as I was leaving the company for another job...Now, I tried to use image browser and very few files (html, txt, rar) are ok...however, doc, ppt and pdf files are not readible...I am desperate, please let me know what to do.... will be forever grateful...
chuck

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 10:03pm

OK. So you have two separate .v2i files for redundancy. That's good. I gather you have Ghost 9 installed in your computer and you are having trouble with the image browser.

Could you right click one of the .v2i files and click Mount. The image will become a virtual drive with a drive letter. Files can be viewed or copied from the virtual drive to a conventional partition.

Does it work?

IP Logged

bkoc
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 3:25am

no,  this is how i viewed the files, mounted them as a drive, saw all the files
and when i tried to recover: pdf, .doc and .ppt are not readable...all the file structure is there...
and when i do a image check it shows that the image is valid...
chuck

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 4:24am

Chuck,

You are viewing these files on a different computer from where they were created. Could it be an Ownership issue?

IP Logged

bkoc
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 5:13am

hi Brian,
thanks for your support, it means so much.. how can i check the ownership, you mean password protected? i own both files, but how can check this?
chuck

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 1:52pm

Chuck, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

On one of your problem files.....

Quote:
1.      Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2.      Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3.      Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4.      In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

IP Logged

bkoc
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 6:02pm

hi Brian,
There is no security tab, files are about the same size as they would be without this problem, it looks like they are in binary format...if the file is text i have no problem opening and reading, this problem is only on .pdf, .ppt and .doc...
it seems like i need a convertor of some sort...
thanks
chuck

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 6:23pm

Win XP Pro or Home? If WinXP Pro, disable Simple File Sharing in Folder Options. Then you will get a Security Tab.

Were the .pdf, .ppt and .doc files saved with encryption on the original computer?

IP Logged

bkoc
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 8:19pm

Hi Brian,
I got the security tab, I am the owner so no problem there...
I did not get them encrypted when saving but somehow there seems to be a binary conversion, how do i check and try to decrypt if there is an encryption..original system was company computer but i had admin privileges...
regards
chuck

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 8:23pm

Chuck,

I've run out of knowledge here. I don't believe it's a Ghost issue. You have two .v2i images which verify OK and both have problems showing certain file types.

Anyone?

IP Logged

bkoc
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 8:32pm

thanks, this is very weird and it is extremely important for me, if there is anybody who knows a filter or something i will pay any price...
best
chuck

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 10:58pm

Chuck,

A few ideas.

Copy a .pdf file from your virtual drive to your C: drive. Then copy the file to a few other computers and see if it opens with Acrobat Reader or Foxit Reader.

If no luck, see if the file will open in BartPE using Foxit Reader.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 11:45pm

bkoc wrote on Feb 5th, 2008 at 9:30pm:
I used Ghost 9 to backup my company laptop data before I returned it, there is a single partition (C) and I did the backup into 2 different external drives, completed successfully both times.
Then I used image browser to check, all files (names sizes) seemed ok, then i returned the pc as I was leaving the company for another job

My guess is that the files or folders they were in on the original pc were encrypted.  Encryption is not a permission issue.  You obviously had access to the files.  When files are encrypted it works transparent to the user, behind the scenes.  You authenticate yourself by logging onto the computer with a userid and a password.  The de-crypting is handled for you by XP and NTFS.

IF (and I repeat) IF they are encrypted, you will almost surely have to go back to the original pc and logon with your userid and password, then restore the files.

If you think about it, if someone intentionally encrypted a folder with very sensitive data in the files in the folder, and then copied those files to a diskette or usb drive, and then took the usb drive to another computer (or lost the usb drive), you wouldn't want "anyone" to just plug in the usb drive and have access to the sensitive data.  That's why it is encrypted!

It is very common now for usb thumb drives to be encrypted; for a very good reason.  Users travel with their usb thumb drives in their pocket, lose them at airports, or misplace them etc.  One would NOT want company sensitive information to be readable by anyone.

The only way to validate my theory, is to go back to the original pc, logon to your userid with your password and see if you can access your Ghost 9 backup.

P.S. I guess it's also possible that the entire laptop hard drive is hardware-encrypted.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print