Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Make image for multiple computers (Read 3442 times)
ankin
Ex Member

Make image for multiple computers
Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:15am

Is there a way to use Ghost 12.0 and only backup installed software? I have a couple of identical computers and they are all prepared with Windows Vista. Is there a way to install programs and games on one computer, use ghost and then get the programs and stuff to all computers??? I´ve been reading and reading and searching and im not able to find the solution.
As far as i been able to figure out might duplication of the OS cause trouble, I already have the OS installed and only want to deploy the installed software and the computers are identical...
Im new to Ghost and please help me...  Undecided

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Make image for multiple computers
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 5:41pm

Ankin, I belive you will this thread to be valuable:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136486359. ; It is long, but there is a wealth of good information therein.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 2:02am

ankin

I don't think any of the *imaging* programs will be able to back up individual software programs that have been installed so that you can migrate them to another system.

I think Norton SystemWorks used to have a program called *CleanSweep* that was able to analyze an installed program, back it up to a restore file, and then you could install that backup to another system--but I think that was back in the days of Win98se and WinME--not sure it was ever available for WinXP.

I don't know if there are specialized programs available to do what you are wanting.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

DAB
N00b

I Love Radified!

Kingston, ON

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:05am

I do this all of the time. IF the computers are identical, you can do it - e.g. same computer; same components, etc
I just do a back-up of all partitions from Comp1 to a portable hard drive, and then using the Ghost boot CD on the Comp 2, do a restore from the portable HDD. After having my 5 laptops stolen, I got "smart" and purchased 2 identical Tecras, & do a backup of #1 & restore to #2 every week. If #1 gets stolen or dies, I just start-up #2 and all is working.
The reason that the computers have to be the same is due to the Registry in Win. If you were to restore the Registry to a different computer, some (many) of the drivers & registry entries required to run the computer, would be overwritten by the Registry enries from the 1st computer. NOT a good thing!
Hope this helps

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print