Send Topic Print
Ghost batch files (Read 4291 times)
mchipser
Dude

I Love Radified!

USA

Ghost batch files
Feb 8th, 2008 at 12:29pm

Ok so i made a bootable thumb drive. have ghost loaded and all the files are truncated.. If i load ghost from a fat32 partition and images are on a NTFS partition they are not truncated.. Is there a way to make the files not truncated? or is there a way to make a batch file to auto pick what img i want to restore from? i saw a poat where people made batch files to auto backup.. but i want to restore via batch

IP Logged

mchipser
Dude

I Love Radified!

USA

Re: Ghost batch files
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 1:01pm

Ok i found what i needed thanks

http://tinyurl.com/2ohvdk

the command i used is

ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=E:\savedsk.gho,dst=1 -sure

IP Logged

mchipser
Dude

I Love Radified!

USA

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 10:03am

Ok maybe some can give a alittle insight..

I have a batch file that my bootdisk calls (after mapping drives over the network) but when it runs there are lines that are REMed out.. it will skip the line but it gives a File not found error. Is this because of the version of DOS i am using?

IP Logged

mchipser
Dude

I Love Radified!

USA

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 7:37am

ok i fixed this also.. In my REM line i had the characters (<--->) and it caused that error

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 9:22am

mchipser

Sounds like you are dealing with a number of DOS OS limitations.

Quote:
Ok so i made a bootable thumb drive. have ghost loaded and all the files are truncated.. If i load ghost from a fat32 partition and images are on a NTFS partition they are not truncated.. Is there a way to make the files not truncated?

DOS file names, unless there is *support* for *long filenames*, are restricted to the *eight-dot-three* format and limitation.

And if Ghost is *auto-naming* and *spanning* Ghost image files, when you first create and name the initial Ghost image file, it shows in a long filename format in the Ghost interface--but it will show up truncated to the *eight-dot-three* format if you look at the file listing in DOS later.  So for instance--*1234567890.gho* might look like *123...~1.gho*.

Also, Ghost will drop the all but the first 4 characters at the beginning of the name for all the spanned files--and add its own four digits to the name and incrementing the number by 1 for each spanned file for a given image set.  So, --*1234567890.gho* will for the first spanned file be *12340001.ghs*.

I have found it best to avoid anything but the *eight-dot-three* format to avoid confusion.  If you need to keep track of multiple systems, or image file sets, I use the DOS sub-directories to separate image sets.  So, you might have a general sub-directory of *Ghost*, and if you have four computers you keep images of, then you might have four sub-directories *comp1*, *comp2*, *comp3*, and *comp4*.  And if you keep multiple images, I use a 4 digit sub-directory using a 2 digit month and 2 digit day for each Ghost image set--so today would be *0211* sub-directory--and then I use that same for the actual Ghost image set saved in that sub-directory--*0211.gho*--so if Ghost adds its auto naming to the set--the first spanned file will be *02110001.ghs*--so Ghost will never *change* those first 4 digits.  And if there would be a confusion over the *year*, you can look at the DOS file creation date--or you could set up your sub-directories with a year designation--a path could be:

X:\>Ghost\2008\comp1\0211\0211.gho

Quote:
I have a batch file that my bootdisk calls (after mapping drives over the network) but when it runs there are lines that are REMed out.. it will skip the line but it gives a File not found error. Is this because of the version of DOS i am using?

I'm not sure about that!?  Are you using a space after *REM*--I've not used those characters after a *REM* myself--so don't know!  I will test that the next time I'm in DOS!  I think *>* and *<* are *reserved* characters as far as naming in DOS--so maybe that has something to do with it!?--What version of DOS are you using?

Thanks for reporting back with the results of your testing regarding your issues with Ghost and DOS!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

mchipser
Dude

I Love Radified!

USA

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 3:23pm

well I fixed it by removing those characters.. <> and I believe I'm using either pc dos 7 or the version xp uses to make a bootable floppy. Also I'm dealing with about 150 .gho files.  I am using a batch menu with GET to pick the .gho file i want to reload from. This makes it easier for me and the no so techie people dont have to worry about the truncated files..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print