Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Unattended image restore (Read 94349 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Unattended image restore
Reply #60 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 9:57am

If using a virtual machine (VM) rather than a multi-boot configuration, the problem of easily “restoring” the state of the PC is simplified.  VMware Workstation 6, for example, supports the concept of “snapshots,” which allow the user to “preserve the state of the virtual machine so you can return to the same state repeatedly.”  Although not “unattended,” such a “restore” involves nothing more complicated than clicking the Revert button on the VMware Workstation toolbar.

Alternatively, one could keep a duplicate of the VM in a separate folder, and automatically “restore” the VM by simply copying the saved .VMX and associated files to the original location.

As the popularity and ease of use of virtual machines increases, the role of multi-booting seems destined to gradually diminish, in my opinion.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

ColdRain
N00b

I Love Radified!

Kentucky

Reply #61 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 10:24pm

Night owl you mentioned your way of using ghost 2003 for complete unattended batch process... is there anyway you can post complete step by step approach?

ColdRain yocoldrain  
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #62 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 10:17pm

I'd like to report that an unattended image restore can be done when the backup image is stored in a networked computer.

I used NetBootDisk. With Bart's Network Boot Disk, a password has to be entered each time so the procedure can't be automated.

http://www.netbootdisk.com/index.htm

NetBootDisk was installed to a bootable FAT partition (8 MB) and configured. I preferred FreeDOS as it booted faster than MS-DOS.

From Windows, a batch file starts the process. Your computer shuts down and restarts into DOS. Networking is established and an image in the other computer is restored to a partition in your computer. Your computer then restarts into the restored Windows OS. No user intervention.

I used TeraByte's BING and IFD but I'm sure it would work with Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #63 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 12:09pm

Though very late in the discussions, i created a user guide to have fully automated restore using Ghost.

On the internet the one step recovery was mainly using Lenovo's files etc(if i remember correctly).

This guide i made has snapshots and the batch file of creating a backup in hidden partition and then finally restoring it using any keyboard key lile F10 etc at boot time.
The image is in hidden partition and is not accessible in windows hence less prone to any virus infection also.

The post is down below.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211223513

you can get the guide from
http://www.esnips.com/web/kaviteshsingh/

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #64 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 12:26pm

For automated process from CD/DVD check this one:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1217024697/

IP Logged

MR Linux
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 10:28am

thx very much for ur explanation ..

i create these steps but still have an error

could u please send me the bootdisk with all those changes so i can simply burn it with my image onto a dvd .

i have try million times in alot of forums to do this ghost image deploy but always get error.

thx in advance and hope to send me the boot file ready to burn it with my image on dvd.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print