Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Bootable and SATA optical drive (Read 11609 times)
Martinus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost Bootable and SATA optical drive
Feb 22nd, 2008 at 6:32am

Hi guys.

Thanks for a very informative forum.

I have the following problem.

I have a Samsung SATA DVD burner and a NEC IDE DVD burner installed in one of my home boxes.

I have a standard DOS boot CD that I've used with no problems to work with Gost - version 11 -. I have updated the boot CD with gcdrom.sys and both drives are visible in DOS.

Now, if I boot from the NEC IDE drive, I can start Ghost and backup or restore with no problems. Ghost sees the SATA DVD drive as other DOS programs do - Volkov Commander, etc. But, if I boot from the SATA drive, when I start Ghost, it just hangs in the GUI with the hour glass and nothing happens.

I have tried several command line switches -NOIDE, -FNI, -FNX, etc with no luck.

And the problem is that I can not set the SATA drive in the BIOS to run in IDE emulation as this option - at least in the BIOS I have - disables one or two channels in the IDE controllers.

I'd really like to find a solution to this problem as I'd like to remove the IDE DVD drive. I've seen some posts in Symantec boards but none of the proposed solutions work.

Many thanks for your input
Martinus

IP Logged

Martinus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost Bootable and SATA optical drive
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 1:47pm

I've just found a solution to my problem.

I have switched to Acronis True Image and it's bootable environment works perfectly with my SATA optical drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 10:57pm

Martinus

Quote:
I have switched to Acronis True Image

Well, I guess that's one solution--and no one will hold it against you!

But, I do not have a SATA based system--and another forum member has recently shared his success with the SATA DOS optical driver and Ghost--but unfortunately, he was working on a customer's systems and no longer has access to them--but, I think I may see what's needed for Ghost + the SATA driver to work correctly--but, I need a test system and a tester--if you have any interest--let me know!

That goes for anyone else with SATA optical drives--I need someone to help test some setups to see if we can figure out the needed DOS configuration that Ghost will work with--any volunteers?!

Even better, a system with both an IDE optical drive + a SATA optical drive would offer additional insights!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Martinus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 12:56am

Thanks, NightOwl.

I did this a a last resort, believe me. I have been a Ghost user for many, many years and never had a problem until I installed the SATA DVD burner.

In the Symantec forums, support staff recommend setting the SATA controller in BIOS in legacy IDE emulation and that probably solves the problem but I can not do that. I wouldn't do it even if I could because that would mean that I would not be able to take advantage of several SATA features - AHCI, Native Command Queing, etc.

The odd thing is that, in a way, Symantec acknowledges the problem but does not offer a viable solution. I've googled for SATA, bootable, Ghost the last couple of weeks and there are a lot of posts out there and the only solutions appear to be ugly hacks.

The box where I currently have the SATA DVD burner has also an IDE DVD burner but my plan is to keep only the SATA drive and eventually replace all the IDE optical drives at home with SATA ones.

So, to recap:
- I've succesfully updated my universal boot cd with the gcdrom.sys driver in config.sys and can see and read from the SATA drive in DOS.
- If I boot from the IDE DVD burner, Ghost works fine and can see the SATA drive.
- If I boot from the SATA drive, Ghost hangs in the GUI.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Martinus

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 1:36am

Martinus

Could you share your [config.sys] and [autoexec.bat] files for me to compare with the other forum member's boot files?

Quote:
In the Symantec forums, support staff recommend setting the SATA controller in BIOS in legacy IDE emulation and that probably solves the problem

Well, if it's a Ghost-SATA HDD compatibility problem, and not a Ghost-SATA optical drive problem--then there might not be a solution, but your test results seem to say that's not the issue!

Quote:
- I've succesfully updated my universal boot cd with the gcdrom.sys driver in config.sys and can see and read from the SATA drive in DOS.
- If I boot from the IDE DVD burner, Ghost works fine and can see the SATA drive.
- If I boot from the SATA drive, Ghost hangs in the GUI.

If Ghost was not compatible with the SATA controller, then you should not be able to boot from the IDE drive and load Ghost successfully--there should be the same incompatibility that would freeze Ghost when it's surveying the various attached devices.  

Are you able to see and access both the SATA HDD and optical drive after Ghost loads?

Are you willing to test several boot discs?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Martinus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 2:22am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 1:36am:
Martinus

Could you share your [config.sys] and [autoexec.bat] files for me to compare with the other forum member's boot files?

Config.sys
Code:

[menu]
menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
menudefault=CD,30
menucolor=7,1

[CD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd000
device=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /C0

[NOCD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off

[COMMON]
files=10
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 4096
lastdrive=z
device=display.sys con=(ega,,1)

Autoexec.bat
Code:

@ECHO OFF
set EXPAND=YES
SET DIRCMD=/O:N
set LglDrv=27 * 26 Z 25 Y 24 X 23 W 22 V 21 U 20 T 19 S 18 R 17 Q 16 P 15
set LglDrv=%LglDrv% O 14 N 13 M 12 L 11 K 10 J 9 I 8 H 7 G 6 F 5 E 4 D 3 C
cls
call setramd.bat %LglDrv%
set temp=c:\
set tmp=c:\
path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\
copy mouse.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL
copy mouse.ini %RAMD%:\ > NUL
copy doskey.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL
copy command.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL
set comspec=%RAMD%:\command.com
copy extract.exe %RAMD%:\ > NUL

:ERROR
IF EXIST ebd.cab GOTO EXT
echo Please insert Windows 98 Startup Disk 2
echo.
pause
GOTO ERROR

:EXT
%RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL
LH %ramd%:\Mouse.com
LH doskey.com
echo The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%.
echo.

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /D:MSCD001

echo.
GOTO QUIT

:QUIT
set CDROM=
set LglDrv=

In the boot CD I have several directories with utilities - Ghost, Volkov Commander, etc. As I said before, I have used this boot CD for years and never had a problem.

NightOwl wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 1:36am:
Well, if it's a Ghost-SATA HDD compatibility problem, and not a Ghost-SATA optical drive problem--then there might not be a solution, but your test results seem to say that's not the issue!

There is no Ghost-SATA HDD incompatibility whatsoever. I have no problems ghosting and restoring backups on any of the 4 boxes I have at home. All the boxes have SATA drives in AHCI mode and Ghost sees the drives and reads from/writes to them without a problem

Quote:
If Ghost was not compatible with the SATA controller, then you should not be able to boot from the IDE drive and load Ghost successfully--there should be the same incompatibility that would freeze Ghost when it's surveying the various attached devices.  

Are you able to see and access both the SATA HDD and optical drive after Ghost loads?

Well,  that's exactly the problem. Ghost is compatible with the SATA controller, actually it's compatible with all the Intel SATA controllers I've tested.

This is what is weird.
Booting from the IDE DVD: No problem. Ghost sees both optical drives.
Booting from the SATA DVD: Ghost hangs in the GUI.

I've tried every workaround I could think of. Changing the PATH environment, the COMSPEC environment, starting Ghost from the HDD instead of from the CD, using several switches: -NOIDE etc. All to no avail.

Quote:
Are you willing to test several boot discs?

I have already wasted enough time on this issue but, sure. I can test a couple of boot discs for you.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:42am

Martinus

Interesting boot disc and boot files--Nice!--thanks for sharing!

One minor point of order--you do not appear to be loading an *upper memory manager*, so your commands for *devicehigh* and *lh* (load high), and *dos=high,umb will go unheeded and ignored.

And, that's the one difference that I noted in the boot files of the other forum member's boot files who says he was able to work with SATA optical drives successfully--he was loading *emm386.exe*, size=125,495, dated 4/23/1999.

I was going to put a link to a download of that file, and/or of a boot ISO--but, I'm having problems with my FTP access to the website today--I'll have to trouble shoot that before I can offer the downloads!

But, it's possible that the boot sequence from the SATA optical drive is somehow conflicting with the memory that Ghost is attempting access--and that's causing a system freeze--and perhaps the memory manager sorts that out--that's what I wanted to test is whether using  *emm386.exe*, or not, made any difference!  Your trouble shooting did not mention if you tried that.

Also, it may be specific compatibility issues between the SATA optical drive and motherboard BIOS--it's possible a different SATA optical drive might work fine--always multiple variables  Sad .

IP Logged

Martinus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 11:53am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:42am:
Interesting boot disc and boot files--Nice!--thanks for sharing!

No problem.

Quote:
One minor point of order--you do not appear to be loading an *upper memory manager*, so your commands for *devicehigh* and *lh* (load high), and *dos=high,umb will go unheeded and ignored.

And, that's the one difference that I noted in the boot files of the other forum member's boot files who says he was able to work with SATA optical drives successfully--he was loading *emm386.exe*, size=125,495, dated 4/23/1999.

Well, that's a standard Windows 98 Boot floppy which I converted to a CD a long time ago. I increased the Ramdisk size from the standard 2 MB to 4 MB and lately added gcdrom.sys. Never had a problem with it.

Quote:
I was going to put a link to a download of that file, and/or of a boot ISO--but, I'm having problems with my FTP access to the website today--I'll have to trouble shoot that before I can offer the downloads!

No problem. Take your time. You don't need to include the Ghost executable. I can add it myself to the ISO or I can start it from the HDD

Quote:
But, it's possible that the boot sequence from the SATA optical drive is somehow conflicting with the memory that Ghost is attempting access--and that's causing a system freeze--and perhaps the memory manager sorts that out--that's what I wanted to test is whether using  *emm386.exe*, or not, made any difference!  Your trouble shooting did not mention if you tried that.

It has to be something specific to the boot sequence. Something that triggers (or doesn't trigger) when booting from tha SATA DVD, as booting from the IDE DVD everything works perfect.

Quote:
Also, it may be specific compatibility issues between the SATA optical drive and motherboard BIOS--it's possible a different SATA optical drive might work fine--always multiple variables  Sad .

It could be but I currently only have the Samsung SATA DVD. Can't test with another SATA drive at the moment. But if you google "Ghost gcdrom.sys SATA bootable" you will find a lot of posts out there with the same problem. Most of them are from Dell or HP users. Their newer models ship with a SATA optical drive and the only solution this people have found - as far as I can tell - has been to set the SATA optical drive in legacy IDE mode in BIOS.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 1:50am

Martinus

Quote:
No problem. Take your time.

Well, it might take some--since Rad moved to the new server--something (probably a setting) is not working--I'll get back to you as soon as it's fixed!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print