Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recovery Software (Read 26427 times)
Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Recovery Software
Reply #15 - May 19th, 2008 at 2:21am

Quote:
The Ghost.exe performed the operation but was very slow in terms of creating backup and then restoring.

That will be because, on that particular machine, a) Ghost is using the drivers provided by the system BIOS, and b) those drivers are slow.

You can't generalise from the experience of running Ghost on one machine to what it's like for other machines; there are machines where the BIOS drivers are superb and realize basically identical performance to Windows drivers, there are machines where they are slow, and there are machines where they don't work reliably and corrupt data. The same applies to networking; we have machines here with the network driver provided by the PXE Boot is the only one you can get, we have machines where the PXE BIOS is better than an NDIS driver, and yet there are also ones where the PXE BIOS is slow and unreliable (and indeed, corrupt data).

Naturally, most customers blame Ghost for this, but the reality is that for DOS Ghost, the experience people get is largely up to the hardware manufacturers, and the quality of the hardware and firmware and drivers between machines is wildly more variable than most folks realise.

Using the Windows versions of Ghost on WinPE will generally be better than the DOS version, especially as long as you're doing a disk-to-disk operation, but whether it's enough faster to make up for the slower boot time depends a lot on the machine. For some it's a net win, for some it isn't. Really, the main advantage about WinPE is nothing to do with speed, it's simply that there are fewer problems with machines with incompatible hardware.

Quote:
DOS based version  of Ghost is run from command prompt of win98SE bootable floppy image which is 16 bit DOS

Right, but DOS is the thing that's 16-bit, not Ghost. These days even the bulk of the system BIOS software (on better-quality machines, at least) isn't actually 16-bit code either, it's almost all 32-bit.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2008 at 2:04pm

Eureka Eureka
Please find the solution on the post below.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211223513

Regards
K Singh.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2008 at 2:11pm

Hi
Thanks for clearing my doubts. I appreciate it.
Since i am not a network administrator or having access to multiple computers, i was just observing it on my sole Intel Duo core machine.

I would like to mention that i have come-up with the manual of making one step recovery similar to OEM which can be accessed on
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211223513

I would request you to please go through it as there are few unanswered questions which you may be able to answer.

I thank you once again for clearing my doubts.

Regards,
K Singh.

Quote:
Quote:
The Ghost.exe performed the operation but was very slow in terms of creating backup and then restoring.

That will be because, on that particular machine, a) Ghost is using the drivers provided by the system BIOS, and b) those drivers are slow.

You can't generalise from the experience of running Ghost on one machine to what it's like for other machines; there are machines where the BIOS drivers are superb and realize basically identical performance to Windows drivers, there are machines where they are slow, and there are machines where they don't work reliably and corrupt data. The same applies to networking; we have machines here with the network driver provided by the PXE Boot is the only one you can get, we have machines where the PXE BIOS is better than an NDIS driver, and yet there are also ones where the PXE BIOS is slow and unreliable (and indeed, corrupt data).

Naturally, most customers blame Ghost for this, but the reality is that for DOS Ghost, the experience people get is largely up to the hardware manufacturers, and the quality of the hardware and firmware and drivers between machines is wildly more variable than most folks realise.

Using the Windows versions of Ghost on WinPE will generally be better than the DOS version, especially as long as you're doing a disk-to-disk operation, but whether it's enough faster to make up for the slower boot time depends a lot on the machine. For some it's a net win, for some it isn't. Really, the main advantage about WinPE is nothing to do with speed, it's simply that there are fewer problems with machines with incompatible hardware.

Quote:
DOS based version  of Ghost is run from command prompt of win98SE bootable floppy image which is 16 bit DOS

Right, but DOS is the thing that's 16-bit, not Ghost. These days even the bulk of the system BIOS software (on better-quality machines, at least) isn't actually 16-bit code either, it's almost all 32-bit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print