Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and PXE boot. (Read 9814 times)
Kendall
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 and PXE boot.
Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:48am

Can I create a PXE boot image with Ghost 2003?  I have Windows Deployment Services installed on a Server 2003 machine.  I installed Norton Ghost 2003 and I thought that I would see an option under the Boot wizard for a PXE boot but I do not.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 and PXE boot.
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:19am

Kendall

Quote:
Can I create a PXE boot image with Ghost 2003?

Several things--

1.  What is a *PXE boot*?--I know I can *Google* and research this on my own, but this is less than a common, universal term for the average user (me  Wink !)--so what's special about it?

2.  Ghost 2003 Boot Wizard does not create any *boot images*--it will only create boot files on floppy disks.

3.  Last I've heard--Ghost 2003's Windows interface is not designed to work under Windows 2003 Server.  What the incompatibilities are, I don't know.  You can create images and restore images of a Server 2003 system if it's shut down and you are booted to the DOS Ghost 2003 interface from a boot disk.

4.  Ghost 2003 can create a bootable optical disc--

a.  from its Windows interface, if it runs compatibly under the Windows OS--but, the boot image is *hidden* in the Ghost code--it's not available to see or manipulate separately from the image creation process.  And, you can not customize the boot code--it's predefined and is what it is!  

Now, if you're boot disc savvy--you could probably convert the bootable disc to an ISO, use one of the special ISO manipulation softwares like WinImage or MagicISO--or others, to extract boot information, change it, and re-insert that code into the ISO--and then re-burning the customized ISO back to optical media.

b.  from its DOS interface, if you have your boot information on a boot floppy, Ghost 2003 will read that boot information from the floppy, and place it on optical media in its hidden boot sector for future booting of the optical disc.

5.  I think the enterprise versions of Ghost, starting perhaps with Ghost v8.2 or v8.3 (the next step up in version #'s is Ghost v11.x for the enterprise versions), now have the built-in ability to create bootable optical discs from its Boot Wizard, as well as floppies--but I don't know how customizable that process is--I don't have those versions of Ghost.  

Also, I think the above versions may be compatible with installation on Server 2003.

Hope this information helps!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Kendall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 1:35pm

PXE Boot allows you to boot a computer to the network, and boot from a nimage stored on a RIS server.  I have seen articles that show Ghost allowing that, however, I do not see that as an option in the version that I have.  I am wondering if anyone knows what version of Ghost does allow that or if I am just missing something when I llok at mine.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:16am

Kendall

Sounds like you would want to create a *Drive Mapping Boot Disk* option from the Ghost 2003 Boot Wizard.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:49am

Wiki says:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Preboot eXecution Environment (PXE, aka Pre-Execution Environment, or 'pixie') is an environment to boot computers using a network interface independently of available data storage devices (like hard disks) or installed operating systems.
For a high-level overview of network booting, see Network booting.

PXE was introduced as part of the Wired for Management framework by Intel and is described in the specification (v2.1) published by Intel and Systemsoft on September 20, 1999. It makes use of several network protocols like IP, UDP, DHCP and TFTP and of concepts like GUID/UUID and Universal Network Device Interface and extends the firmware of the PXE client (the computer to be bootstrapped via PXE) with a set of predefined APIs.

The term PXE client only refers to the role that the machine takes in the PXE boot process. A PXE client can be a server, desktop, laptop or any other machine that is equipped with a PXE boot code.

That's way above my paygrade, however.  Wink Cheesy Grin Grin

Cool

IP Logged

kickin
N00b

I Love Radified!

USA

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Quote:
Can I create a PXE boot image with Ghost 2003?  I have Windows Deployment Services installed on a Server 2003 machine.  I installed Norton Ghost 2003 and I thought that I would see an option under the Boot wizard for a PXE boot but I do not.

PXE booting... a wonderful option which I use every day. Turn on the client PC, press F12, choose NETWORK BOOT or PXE Boot, select the image, and viola! A system that is booted & imaged without a physical CD or disk in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, Ghost 2003 does not work with Server 2003. What I can say for sure is that WDS in Server 2003 SP2, you will never see the option for RIS listed.

Basically, I created my Win2K3 / GSS 2.0 PXE server (private, segmented LAN, accessible by ME only so security is not an issue) by doing the following:

1.)      Server 2003 SP1
a.      Partition drive for RIS storage (ris requires at least 2 partitions or 2 drives)
b.      Do not use SP2 yet as it replaced RIS with WDS
c.      Change PC name
2.)      Install AntiVirus
3.)      Create a Ghost User acct
a.      Create a short user account such as “G” with a short pw of “G” and give it administrator rights
4.)      Static IP
a.      Assign a static IP
5.)      DCPromo
a.      Run dcpromo and install defaults
b.      Reboot
6.)      RIS
a.      Add remove programs, windows components, RIS
b.      Reboot
c.      Run risetup.exe
i.      Choose partition to install from step #1 (2nd partition or drive)
d.      Inside of ADUC, right click this DC and look at RIS tab if needed
e.      Also, gpedit and add RIS tools if needed (usually not)
7.)      DHCP
a.      Install and configure DHCP on same subnet
b.      May need to authorize DHCP server in ADUC
8.)      Ghost
a.      Install GSS 2.01
b.      Run Ghost Boot Wizard
c.      Verify Microsoft RIS shows up
i.      Create virtual boot floppy
9.)      Misc
a.      OSAUTO.osc
i.      Edit this file under share “RemoteInstall\OSChooser\English”
ii.      Make sure it shows “CHECKGUID OSCHOICE DUPAUTO”
1.      This file controls what shows up under PXE menu

These are basic steps that i took to configure my server which works perfectly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print