Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Boot Diskettes Stall at Windows 98 Boot Screen During Recovery (Read 19359 times)
WSC3
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost Boot Diskettes Stall at Windows 98 Boot Screen During Recovery
Mar 15th, 2008 at 3:05pm

This is probably something obvious that I missed, but when I had a recent disaster, my Ghost recovery diskettes stalled at the Windows 98 screen.  I even recreated them again and the new set gave the same result.  I have MS-DOS on diskette 1 and Ghost.exe on Disk 2. They were created using the Symantect interface.

Booting to Disk 1 gave the Windows 98 screen but never prompted for the next diskette.  It used to; I last tested about 3 years ago and it worked perfectly.  Now it just stops.

What am I missing?

(Windows XP, SP1.  Norton System Works 2003 Pro, Ghost)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost Boot Diskettes Stall at Windows 98 Boot Screen During Recovery
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 11:00pm

WSC3

Quote:
It used to; I last tested about 3 years ago and it worked perfectly.

That's a lot of years between Ghost images--hope you were using something else in the meantime!

Quote:
What am I missing?

Ah....three years!!!!!  Wink

But, ....seriously....what have you changed in the last three years?!  Are you using the same hardware?  Have you upgraded from PATA HDDs to SATA HDDs?  Have you flashed your BIOS?  Have you changed BIOS settings....etc.?

Can you download a boot disk or disc form here and boot okay using one of these:  Boot Disks, or Boot floopy disks and ISO files for bootable CD discs from Allbootdisks.com

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

WSC3
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 6:48am

I Ghost a new image each week to an external h/w. (Sorry for the confusion.)  No new h/w, I don't think.

What I hadn't tested in 3 years were my boot diskettes.  Now, I have tried various boot disks, including MS DOS and PC DOS.  I created new ones: same result. I even created a boot CD and the boot process bypassed it.  I checked the BIOS to make sure that the CD was read before the h/d, too. I used Roxio and it really only had one file on it. Not sure if it was correct; followed some web instructions. Anyway, why would it hang??

The boot diskettes all execute to a certain point and then just hang.  Since this occurs before the o/s kicks in, what could be stopping it?

Anyway, your web page suggestion is good, but I'm not sure how to move from the boot diskette with DOS on it to a second one that will have the Ghost.Exe in its folder.  Can I remove the first diskette once in DOS and then put in the second?  And, will DOS see all my internal/external h/w (Firewire and USB)?  Obviously I need to get to those to restore my image in case of disaster.

Thx.

IP Logged

WSC3
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 11:55am

I tried the diskette and successfully got to MS DOS.  I was able to get the Ghost.Exe to load from a second diskette, but

1.  it would not see my firewire drive.  I'm guessing it doesn't have the drivers for it or USB. What do I add to the boot diskette to enable this?
2.  my mouse didn't work.  I see drivers for that.  My mouse usually works in Ghost. 

It created drives R & S,which I'm guess are my CD/DVD Drives. 

I just need to add f/w & USB & functioning mouse.  How?

Thanks.

IP Logged

WSC3
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 12:13pm

I added the two folders (one USB, one FWR) + Autoexec + Config + guest.exe from my old Symantec-created diskettes to the new one (removing QBasic) and the boot halted right after a message "Iomega ASPI USB-EHCI All rights reserved."  This is the same place former attempts have stalled.  What now?

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

WSC3
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 4:26pm

Ben,

It seemed like the first web site was the best fit, so I created that diskette.  I booted to it and was allowed to choose USB or F/W.  The F/W looked like it worked and then I got a bunch of 'failed install' messages.  But, at the end, I put in the Ghost.Exe diskette, brought up the Ghost interface, and was able to view my Ghost image on my external f/w connected drive!  I will have to test my USB one (which I keep at work).

Why did I get all the failed messages if it (seemed) to work.   I did not reinstall the image, but was happy to see it.  Does this confirm that I'm good to go?

Thanks.  Now, why was this so difficult?  The one from Symantec used to work fine.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:31am

WSC3

Quote:
I Ghost a new image each week to an external h/w. (Sorry for the confusion.)  No new h/w, I don't think.

What I hadn't tested in 3 years were my boot diskettes.

So, you must be setting up your Ghost backup using the Windows interface, and then Ghost shuts down Windows and boots to DOS--finds you external HDD without problems and then boots back to Windows--correct?

As far as I know, Ghost uses the same DOS drivers when it goes through the above sequence as it uses for its boot floppy disks--so I'm not sure why you would have a different experience when using the boot floppies!

You can look at the log files that the Windows Ghost interface creates--look at the *Details* for a given procedure--and you will see the boot files that Ghost used so you can see the list of files, etc.--and can compare to your floppy boot disk.

Quote:
The boot diskettes all execute to a certain point and then just hang.  Since this occurs before the o/s kicks in, what could be stopping it?

and

I added the two folders (one USB, one FWR) + Autoexec + Config + guest.exe from my old Symantec-created diskettes to the new one (removing QBasic) and the boot halted right after a message "Iomega ASPI USB-EHCI All rights reserved."  This is the same place former attempts have stalled.

Most likely, this is the problem--loading the DOS USB driver for access to your USB external HDD.  

Do you have a new external USB HDD now than what you had three years ago?

Do you have a USB memory stick card reader attached now that you did not three years ago?  On my system, if I leave my USB memory card reader attached when booting to DOS and using the DOS USB HDD drivers that come with Ghost, my system *appears* to hang when it loads the above driver.  Ghost can take almost 5 minutes before it eventually continues--it's apparently *timing out* as it trys to mount the USB card reader as a *mass storage device* along with the HDD.  Try disconnecting the card reader if that matches your setup.

What's not clear is why you can run Ghost from the Windows interface--but not the DOS boot disk--being as the DOS drivers will be the same--maybe there is the same long pause, but you have not paid any attention to it--assuming that was part of the process???

Quote:
I just need to add f/w & USB & functioning mouse.  How?

How involved to you wish to get?!   Wink

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

Adding USB (and Firewire) to Ghost Boot CD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

WSC3
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 12:35pm

1.          Quote: “So, you must be setting up your Ghost backup using the Windows interface, and then Ghost shuts down Windows and boots to DOS--finds you external HDD without problems and then boots back to Windows--correct?”   Yes, correct. 

2.         Actually, both my external drives are the same as during my last successful test three years ago.  I have not upgraded either one. 

3.         I have not tested my USB drive at all.  All my tests so far are on the F/W one.

4.         I do not have any memory stick card readers of any kind attached during the process.  I’ve learned that Ghost is very finicky about some USB devices being hooked up, especially if I’m connecting a USB external drive.  I have a USB connected ATI TV Wonder that I typically disconnect for USB backup.  It doesn’t seem to affect firewire, and hence I left it connected during these tests.  Maybe it interfered?  I also have installed a card reader (for my digital camera), but it’s certainly not connected during all of this.

5.         When I ran the diskette Ben suggested, I made the F/w selection.  I have not tested USB at all.   I did notice that it loaded PC DOS.  I discovered that one of the drives (I think the USB one) required MS DOS and the F/W didn’t care.  Is that your experience? Does the flavor of DOS make a difference (PC vs. MS DOS)?

6.         I didn’t know that it could take as long as 5 minutes for anything.  As I noted in my case description, my Symantec/Ghost created diskettes (both old and just created) hang at the Win98 screen, but I didn’t wait more than a minute or so before rebooting; nothing seemed to be happening.  Historically, the first diskette loaded and then immediately prompted for the Ghost.Exe diskette.  No wait.  I don’t think I even saw the Win98 screen in my original tests. Is it normal to see the Win98 screen?? 

7.          Obviously, I want a solid DR plan, so that if I can’t get to Windows, I can boot to diskettes or CD that will allow me to restore my image from either a F/W or USB external drive.  I think my mouse worked on your diskette suggestion.

8.          Yeah, I saw the bootable CD link from the radified site the other day, but it looked lengthy and complicated.  I’d like to be able to download a single zip folder from which I can burn into a CD and go.  Or, is there somewhere I can just download these files instead of having to create them all?  Anything simpler out there?

9.         Where are these Windows detail files that Ghost creates?  Are they accessed from the Ghost Windows interface? I take it they’re not created by the diskette boot process?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print