Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 14 RAID support with Windows XP x64? (Read 10510 times)
don
N00b

I Love Radified!

Norton Ghost 14 RAID support with Windows XP x64?
Mar 22nd, 2008 at 6:59am

Hi,

I just found this forum, it looks great!

I am looking at Ghost 14, and I had a (hopefully) easy quesiton that I could not find the answer to on here.  My system is an XP x64 system with 4 drives, two each set up in a RAID 1 combination so I have a C: and D: logical drive.

Can Ghost 14 work with this? It seems like the RAID won't be a problem from what I can tell (not positive though), but I can't find anything on XP x64 support - all I find is "XP".

Thanks!

IP Logged

don
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: Norton Ghost 14 RAID support with Windows XP x64?
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 8:42am

Well I can answer part of the question - I found that a 30 day trial exists on the Symantec site, so I downloaded it, and it installed fine. However, upon reboot, it requested and ran LiveUpdate. It downloaded a Norton Ghost file 7065.9KB fine, finished decompressing it fine, but on install I got a dialog box "Fatal error during installation".

It gave the errors as LU1812; A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. The update was not applied. For this one, I clciked the LU1812 link and ran the script test. It said "Operating system not supported", then it brought up another web page and said there is no 1812 in the Log file, so it must be an intermittent error. Sweet.

also reported LU1806: LiveUpdate downloaded all of the updates you requested, but all of them failed to install. Please try to get the updates at a later time.

For the 1806 error, it suggested I run LU from Control Panel. Bu then Ghost popped up,  I think for the initial run? Anyway, now it shows an error "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

I remember years ago stopping the use of Norton Utilities because LiveUpdate never worked reliably. So far this experience has been pretty ugly, it feels like no one uses this on XP x64. I will likely stop using this unless I hear from someone that x64 is fully supported, since it's not mentioned on Symantec's site. Thanks.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:50pm

Good question.

I changed your subject to better describe the info you're looking for.

I use neither RAID nor x64, so can't help.

There are ways to work around everything. Figuring out the easiest and most effective however, is what we're looking for.

I'm interested in what the community comes up with.

IP Logged

don
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 6:41am

I guess I have gotten my answer Smiley doesn't seem like this is the product for me...

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 7:54am

Don, the current version of ShadowProtect Desktop by StorageCraft can be used in your case for image backup, provided that the images are created within the Recovery Environment (i.e., booting from the ShadowProtect CD).

Version 3.2 of ShadowProtect Desktop is rumored to be coming “soon,” and it will provide 64-bit Windows support.  When available, this will allow you to create backup images from within Windows, without the need to boot into the Recovery Environment.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

don
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 8:39am

OK, I'll keep any eye out for ShadowProtect's 64 bit version. Thanks!

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:51am

Don, version 3.2 of ShadowProtect Desktop has been released.  It now supports the 64-bit edtions of Windows (XP and Vista).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print