Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Restoring Recovery Point Image to new Laptop Hard drive with Ghost 12 (Read 58950 times)
rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Restoring Recovery Point Image to new Laptop Hard drive with Ghost 12
Mar 23rd, 2008 at 11:53am

Hello again, all. I have installed G12 and made a recovery point. Now i need to use it, since my laptop hard drive has corrution that can't be repaired. I took this opportunity to practice while waiting for the new drive to arrive. I booted to the recovery environment and tried to recover just to make sure it worked. I noticed that "resize restored drive" is greyed out and can't be checked. My recovery point has 26g and the drive to which it is expanding is 80g. Why is this option not active? Is it because the drive has data on it and isn't fresh? Will I have this option active on my new drive, unformated and not partitioned? This issue is not referenced in the user guide, which implies that if you use the software you can check expand drive if desired. No mention is made of different handling of new vs used drives.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost 12 revisited
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 8:49am

I can't believe I am responding to my own post. Usually, someone has an opinion, often very helpful. I see quite a few readers, but not one response. Come on folks, you will have this issue also sooner or later. Help, please, are moderators out there?

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 9:16am

Patience. Busy people. Your subject title is not very compelling (vague). I almost passed myself. Better would be: "Restoring Recovery Point to new Laptop Hard drive with Ghost 12". That's more interesting, cuz it's something lots of ppl wanna know about.

Do you have the same drive still in the laptop? In that case you wouldn't need to resize. Can't say for sure, but Ghost may detect this and adjust your options appropriately.

Once the new drive arrives, you'll know more.

I am interested in your findings, as this is a common operation. Your back-up image is stored on an external drive?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 9:46am

Rad.Test wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 9:16am:
Do you have the same drive still in the laptop? In that case you wouldn't need to resize. Can't say for sure, but Ghost may detect this and adjust your options appropriately.

I agree with Rad.  I think the reason the option is greyed out is that you have the same hard drive in your laptop (which can't obviously be enlarged).  When you put a new blank larger hard drive in, and boot from the cd, you should see the option to enlarge on restore.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 11:27am

Thanks for the comments. I wish I could change the title of my post, because you are right about it being vague. Now that I have peaked your interest, here is the rest of the story.
I have 2 laptop drives for the same computer. Drive 1 is 30 g, drive 2 is 80g.
I have created a recovery point for each drive. Therefore, I believe that 1 recovery point thinks the parent drive has 30 g, and the other recovery point thinks the parent drive has 80g.
After the 80 g drive showed sector errors, I opened the 30 g drive restore point and attemptetd to restore to the still operational but flawed 80 g  drive. I think the program should say, you are puting a 30g backup onto an 80g drive. New or used, since 80 g is bigger than the 30g restore point, I should have had the option to enlarge, but it was greyed out. I then switched to the restore point created from the 80g drive and tried to restore and it was also greyed out. This latter result makes sense based on what you said, but the first result doesn't. In addition, at some point in my efforts, not only was enlarge greyed out, but also check for errors and restore mbr was grey. UInfortunately, by then I was confused and forgot to note the particulars.
As an aside, if the enlargment is automatic, what happens if you want to create partitions and don't want it to enlarge? Also, If my restore point was created from an 80 g drive that was only using 18g of data, and my new drive was smaller, say 20g, how would the downsizing work?

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 11:49am

Are you able to run both drives at the same time? Or can you only swap one at a time? (like me)

Each drive contains only a single partition?

["peaked" = piqued interest]

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Restoring Recovery Point Image to new Laptop Hard drive with Ghost 12
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:13pm

rleescott wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 11:27am:
I wish I could change the title of my post,  

Go back to your first post, and select Modify from the right hand side.  Then change the title, then save.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:47pm

Hey, someone changed the title already. I guess a moderator. Thanks. Regarding the most recent comment, I can only use 1 drive at a time on my laptop, and each has 1 partition, c drive. I use the newer 80g and keep the cloned 30 g, which was the original, as a backup. I made a g12 recovery point for each drive, just in case.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 1:44pm

Where are your back-up images stored?

Brian has experience with this type of stuff. Maybe send him a PM with a link to this thread.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 2:20pm

rleescott wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 11:27am:
I think the program should say, you are puting a 30g backup onto an 80g drive.

I think (but not sure) that the option to enlarge the partition to fill the hard drive is only available when you're restoring to a new/blank/unformatted hard drive.

In your case, was there 80 gb of completely unused unallocated partition space?  Or just a formatted but not used partition?

Sometimes advanced partition utilities are needed to rearrange and manipulate and merge etc.  Such as Partition Magic 8 from Symantec as well as others from Acronis or Paragon.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 4:46pm

I tried wiping the entire drive so that it was unformatted and unpartitioned with the same result in terms of greyed out option to expand the recovery point to fill the entire new drive. That makes me believe i will have the same problem with the new drive.That is not to say that if I let it run it wouldn't expand by some automatic feature that i don't understand. I am concerned that I don't have the option to tell it to go either way in what seems to be a very simple transfer. I know that parttition programs exist, but G12 was touted as better than some of the existing cloners because of its ability to expand to a larger drive. All I want is for my 20g of data to fully expand to the 80 g drive, and also to the 30g drive if I choose to use it as a backup.  I do not use partitions.                  
My recovery points are stored on an external usb drive.
Brian has helped in the past, but i don't know how to contact him or if he is available.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 5:24pm

Here's Brian's profile:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=7848535B54...

He lives on the other side of the world, so is probably sleeping when you're awake (if you live in the US).

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 6:27pm

rleescott wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 4:46pm:
I tried wiping the entire drive so that it was unformatted and unpartitioned with the same result in terms of greyed out option to expand the recovery point to fill the entire new drive.  

Seems like that should have the resize option available.

Just to clarify:
1. You have a laptop with internal 30gb hard drive (and backup recovery point on usb2 drive)
2. You removed the 30 gb drive, zerod a spare 80gb drive, and installed the 80gb drive in the laptop.
3. You booted from the Ghost 12 Recovery Cd.
4. You asked Ghost 12 to "recover my computer" and then pointed to the 30gb backup as the source, and unformatted internal hard drive as the target.
5. The option is greyed out?

Do I have everything exactly correct?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 8:16pm

rleescott,

I'm a little confused too and answers to Ghost4me's question should clear it in my brain.

"Resize restored drive" applies to having Unallocated Space left over. So if you image a 30 GB partition and restore to a 30 GB partition, there will never be any Unallocated Space left over and the option will be greyed out. If you were restoring to a 40 GB partition then the option would be available. It's not dependent on how much data is in the partition or the size of the backup image (recovery point).

Were you planning to have more than one partition on your new HD? I think an OS and a data partition makes a lot of sense.

PS Are you trying to restore the 30 GB partition image to the 80 GB HD?

Are you using Vista?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 9:26am

Brian, nice to see you in the loop.
Ghost4 me, your summary is correct.
Let me resummarize, just in case i have been unclear.
I am using xp, sp2 and my laptop started out with a 30g drive. I backed it up w G12. At the time the 30G drive had 18g of data and produced a recovery point using recommended compression in the range of 15g. Call this clone 1.
Then I acquired an 80g drive,new, and tried to recover clone 1 to the new 80g drive. It worked, but the expand option was greyed out, but i did it anyway. It produced a c drive of 30g, not 80g. Since I don't want multiple partitions, this was a waste of new space for me.
From what I understand, the expand option should have been available, correct?

I then used terrabyte copy/wipe that Brian provided to clone 30g original to the 80g drive. It worked perfectly. I then created a recovery point from the 80g drive, which had 18g of data compressed to approx 15g. Call this clone 2. I saved both.
Now the new 80g drive is failing with bad sectors, so I am getting a new 80g drive. In the meantime i am playing with the 80g.
I attempted to use clone2 to recover the 80g drive. Expand was greyed out.
I think Brian is saying, since the recovery point was made from an 80g parttition, and it's restoring to an 80g partition, expand should not be an option.
Is this correct?
If this is true, what if I wanted to create a 40 g partition of clone 2 and have 40g of parttionD in the 80g drive? How would I do this?

Anyway, I then switched to clone 1, which came from a 30g drive, single partition,and went thru the process of restoring to the 80g drive. As I understand, the option to expand should not have been grey, but it was.
Would the expansion occur anyway in either case?
Also, if I use clone2, which came from the 80g drive and recover it to the 30g smaller drive, will the program do it, because the recipient is smaller, as long as the data is less than 30g? Or will it think that the original partition was 80g, and therefore say I can't copy to a smaller drive?

Hope this helps clarify the issues.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print