Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Excellent article - a survey of cloning programs (Read 6610 times)
cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Excellent article - a survey of cloning programs
Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:53am

I have used Ghost for years - all the versions: Hot-imaging, cold imaging.  It has been generally OK.
HAving seen a post on the Ghost forum, I switched to ShadowProtect.  The ability to restore to different hardware is GIGANTIC.  Has anybody ever heard of a laptop being stolen, or a motherboard frying.  In most cases, Ghost is useless except for disk issues.

Finally, I just can no longer forgive Symantec for providing H O R R I B L E support.  ShadowProtect provides fine support.

Chck out this article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2259168,00.asp

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Excellent article - a survey of cloning programs
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 11:40am

Wonder why they didn't use
Norton Ghost 14
? You must be hanging out with Pleo. Smiley

Some comments from their Ghost 12 review:

Quote:
Bottom line
This is a flexible, powerful drive-imaging and file-backup program with an exceptionally clear interface and lots of scheduling options, but a networking problem with its emergency CD keeps it from receiving an Editors' Choice.

Quote:
Pro's
Simple interface with a unique calendar view of past and scheduled backups. Backs up drives and files with ultra-flexible scheduling options, including backups when a specified application launches.

Quote:
Cons
Emergency disc couldn't see network on test systems.

Do you use image & restore over a network? I just go to a back-up external USB 2.0 drive. Ghost 12 works fine for that.

Another quote:

Quote:
I might recommend buying Norton Ghost 12.0 because it has the best interface of any drive-imaging competitor, and it's the only product of its kind that won't frighten a completely nontechnical user.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 11:50am

Ghost is great but their tech support is downright offensive.  And, they can't seem to restore to different hardware.  Other than that, I love the Ghost programs.  But I see those as serious deficiencies.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:27pm

You/we have two threads going on the same subject, which is always difficult. I responded at the other:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1207583695/3#3

Maybe we should lock this one and use the other .. particularly to discuss your claim of restoring to different hardware.

cardinal23 wrote on Apr 7th, 2008 at 11:50am:
Ghost is great but their tech support is downright offensive.

Symantec provides technical support? That's news.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print